Why I can no longer buy GM

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I can no longer buy GM

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 funkypunnk's Avatar
    Thanks

Why I can no longer buy GM

First let me state that I love and have always loved GM products.

A brand, by definition, is the image of the product in the market. The psychological aspect, sometimes referred to as the brand image, is a symbolic construct created within the minds of people and consists of all the information and expectations associated with a product or service.

It is with this definition that you may ask why wouldn't a Pontiac Loyalist buy a LaCrosse or a Malibu?

Pontiac was built aroung the idea that an American car company cared about performance, flair, and even the driving experience. Execution was questionable at times, but the brand was built around the idea that driving a Pontiac was the purpose, and not transportation. To experience a Pontiac meant having no destination!!

The Buick brand has always meant, at least in my lifetime, dependability. They never talked about driving dynamics or excitement. There were exceptions like the GN, but for the most part Buick was all about value and dependability. It became and remains the "old person's brand". The average age of a Buick buyer is 70 years old!! That is the average. WOW. I could never be caught alive driving any vehicle from a brand so clearly embraced by those that want comfort above all else, including the driving experience.

The Chevy brand has likewise always been sold as the value brand. They bragged about what you got for how much. Chevy too has an exception in the Corvette, a vehicle that is a micro-brand in itself. Other than the Vette, Chevy's are the everyman's car. Unfortunately, that means they are targeting the bland, saying drive one of these and you can blend right in with the rest of the world. If I wanted to blend in I would just drive a Camry!

That leaves Cadillac, and this is the easiest of all of them. I cannot afford to spend on one car what I would normally spend on two.

What is very sad is that Ford, with their current lineup, does a much better job of appealing to Pontiac Loyalists than GM does. The Mustang, New Taurus, and Fusion all look fresh and sporty. They sell them as fun and exciting automobiles. They market them almost exactly at the same people that wanted "Driving Excitement".

I feel that if GM wanted to abandon everything that I loved, a love that they created and built up through their own marketing as any good brand should, than why shouldn't I abandon GM? They chose a lesser brand with half of the sales and an average buyer age only 8 years less than the average age of death in the US! They have thrown product and marketing dollars towards the reinvention of that brand and as a reward the average age actually increased. They fostered a marketing tie-in with one of the most respected and revered athletes (until recently) at great expense to no avail. They replaced legacy product with fresh styling (dull) and names (duller) with no rewards. The new LaCrosse could have just as easliy been the new Bonneville or G1207 (stupid G names were a mistake). The new Regal could have just as easily been the new Grand Prix or LeMans or G6.5. The Enclave could have been the Safari. The G8 should have been the Catalina. One could speculate that if the same product and marketing dollars were thrown at Pontiac, with a much younger average buyer, a much greater success could have been realized. Just in loyalty purchases alone you have 30 years of possible customers at twice the volume versus 8 years at half the volume. Add to that the fact that Pontiac's average buyer age is near the peak of their earnings whereas Buick's are near their lowest and on fixed incomes!

No, GM, this does not make business sense to me nor do I agree with any of your other arguments. You made a choice, one by which I must hold you accountable, and for that I will shop elsewhere. Additionally, I will take with me every person who solicits my advice, which are many. I will steer them away from your brands as to buy from you is to buy from stupidity. If they insist on GM product, I will make sure that I minimize your profit and maximize their product.

In your decision to build me up as a Pontiac customer and then drop me you have created a professional foe and no matter what you claim, it isn't just business, it's personal!!!
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1970 Pontiac LeMans Sport
    1966 Pontiac Catalina Ventura Vert
    1962 Manx Style Dune Buggy
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

Re: Why I can no longer buy GM

Ponitac was on life support for years. Two seperate transfusions (GTO & G8) was just not enough to bring it back. They just finally got wise an just pulled the plug.

But you still have your memories......
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Amen to that.

I currently own 4 pontiacs. (3 mine 94 Firebird Formula, 2002 Convertible Trans Am, 2005 GTO (awsome car by the way), 1 my wifes 2007 Solstice GXP (Fun when she will let me driver it, doesn't trust me for some reason, heh heh). I bought Pontiac out of loyalty, style, Gm being behind it.

Now. Why should I buy Gm. I don't like the Chevys' (They are just not me), Buicks (wrong demographic), Cadillacs way to angulated. They dumped over a millon of us current Pontiac owners under warranty out of a Brand we know and LOVE!

GM has created someone who would rather drive a Ford than their products right now. (Though I will buy a G8 GXP when my finances improve over the year!).

When Olds died, did those buyers come back. Not really, they lost over 80%. Though I appreciate the free oil changes on all 4 (Yes I even got a certificate on my 1994 Firebird, wow), this does not make up for the fact that Pontiac was MY BRAND. And lot of other peoples brand.

I look over at my local Buick (Pontiac) GMC dealer and I wonder how going to survive. The cheapest Buick they have is around 30K. The Pontiacs started at 15K. This is nuts. The Regal according to my salesman will be around 24K. This isn't going to work. I wish Buick well, but Buicks are not a substitution for Pontiac buyers, They never will be.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by solman98 View Post
    Ponitac was on life support for years. Two seperate transfusions (GTO & G8) was just not enough to bring it back. They just finally got wise an just pulled the plug.

So is Buick!

Thanks

Transfusions??? They were both meant to be Halo vehicles. Neither ever had any volume projections attached. They were both fully expected to be imported in limited quantities at great expense carrying high MSRP. The G8 is well respected as a car and as a bang for your buck leader, but it came at the worst time when automotive volume dropped to record lows and cheap fuel efficient cars carried more weight.
    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

Thanks

Sorry to nitpick your post, but it leads into a question...
    I wouldn't use the Enclave as the Lambda Pontiac could have got. Two of the three Buicks that the Enclave represented a replacement for had Pontiac counterparts that were more or less replaced by the GMC Acadia. So on that note, you didn't mention GMC - what does the GMC brand mean to you?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Yes, I DO!!!!

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    I wouldn't use the Enclave as the Lambda Pontiac could have got. Two of the three Buicks that the Enclave represented a replacement for had Pontiac counterparts that were more or less replaced by the GMC Acadia. So on that note, you didn't mention GMC - what does the GMC brand mean to you?
    TRUCKS!!!! And as anyone knows, the best trucks tend to be the newest designs. I bought a Suburban, and it is great, but the expedition and F150 have always been favorably compared against the Silverado/Sierra and Burb/Yukon. BTW-Isn't GMC all rebadges?

I had no choice but to go outside of Pontiac as it has no true trucks, but I did stay with GM due to my loyalty, something I no longer feel committed to.

I didn't like the rounded look of the Yukon and the headlights the size of a billboard which is why I bought the Burb. Next I will consider an Expedition EL.

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    Why didn't Pontiac get a Lambda? You have a great nameplate in the Safari!

So they took away an abomination (Aztec) and an inadequate minivan and replaced them with nothing, and then the Torrent (crappy but looked better than the Nox)

They were not trying to build the brand. Imagine a slightly lowered Lambda with 20 inch wheels and aggressive styling that could still carry 7 and tow 3500Lbs.

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post

You didn't have to read it!!!!

Hidden Content

2015 Suburban LTZ
    2008 Pontiac G8
    1960 Buick LeSabre Vert

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunnk View Post
    Why didn't Pontiac get a Lambda? You have a great nameplate in the Safari!

So they took away an abomination (Aztec) and an inadequate minivan and replaced them with nothing, and then the Torrent (crappy but looked better than the Nox)

They were not trying to build the brand. Imagine a slightly lowered Lambda with 20 inch wheels and aggressive styling that could still carry 7 and tow 3500Lbs.
    A Lambda had no business being a Pontiac. Even the Torrent shouldn't have been a Pontiac.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Always loved the performance division of GM...but they couldn't warrant 8 brands of product with a 20 percent market share..

Not enough people buying GM products..and the dam government made them do it.

Pontiac would have been a cool niche performance brand...

Solstice GXP
    G8 GT and GXP
    and a 2 door G8 GT and maybe a

High performance 3.6 liter twin turbo Equinox.

No base models...just the performance models.. (based off plebian chevy chassis)

but they couldn't do it.

I still say buy either cadillac or chevy b/c these CTS V's or CTS or Corvettes are bad @s rides..

Take some time and think about it..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ChevyRules's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Saturn Aura XR

Wait a second.... You advocate that Pontiac was the performance brand and yet suggested they get a Lambda SUV? What business does a ~5000 lb. CUV have in a performance brand?

Ah ok, you just wanted Pontiac's to look like they were performance vehicles. Got it.

If GM was going to keep Pontiac, it would have to become a niche brand only offering non-volume products. G3's, G5's. G6's, Vibe's, Torrent's, and especially Lambda's have no business in a performance brand. Meaning all they should have would be Solstice, G8, and GTO. That is what Pontiac should have looked like. If GM couldn't give Pontiac those products then I am happy that Pontiac is gone. Rather have the brand be dead then be tarnished to no tomorrow with wannabe performance styling, but really is a Chevy Aveo.....

Not enough people buying GM products..and the dam government made them do it.
    How many times does it have to be repeated? Pontiac was dead since August 2008 before GM even approached Congress for a loan. The old Board of Directors voted to close down Pontiac. The Pontiac niche brand talk was just PR until the right time came to announce Pontiac is dead.
    Last edited by ChevyRules; 01-06-2010 at 01:01 PM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunnk View Post
    Transfusions??? They were both meant to be Halo vehicles. Neither ever had any volume projections attached. They were both fully expected to be imported in limited quantities at great expense carrying high MSRP. The G8 is well respected as a car and as a bang for your buck leader, but it came at the worst time when automotive volume dropped to record lows and cheap fuel efficient cars carried more weight.
    Another reason why they failed. You can't keep a brand in shape with limited assets. Look at the rest of the lineup. You bought a Gwhat?

And I forgot about the Solstice.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information