Want to buy used G8 GT

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to buy used G8 GT

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Want to buy used G8 GT

I plan to buy a G8 GT later this year around Nov/Dec, I just have a few questions.

How is the ownership? Insurance low/high? Parts cost a lot/take a while to come in? Reliability?

Right now Ive seen on average G8's going for around $24-25K, I really want to get one in the low $20k's (around $21K would be nice) do you think that's doable?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Want to buy used G8 GT

I grin every morning I get in my G8. The car is an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

I've had it almost a year and have spent nothing on it other than gas. No warranty work and it has not asked for schedule maintenance yet.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Great, how about the prices?

NADA is saying a 2008 G8 GT right now with leather and 35K miles is about $23.5K, how much do you guys think it'll be by November?(remember, that is also just before Chicago's winter)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Great, how about the prices?

NADA is saying a 2008 G8 GT right now with leather and 35K miles is about $23.5K, how much do you guys think it'll be by November?(remember, that is also just before Chicago's winter)
    I have had a couple of dealers tell me that 2009 G8's with low miles are selling close to invoice of the new ones at auction. I don't know if that is still the case.

I'm sure you could get a 2008 for $21K by November.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

There were half a dozen or so second hand 2009 G8 GT's on a local lot recently, formerly leased I assume. They were all going from $27-28K CDN and most of them had 30K km or more on the clock. I looked pretty closely at a couple. They still looked brand new.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    I have had a couple of dealers tell me that 2009 G8's with low miles are selling close to invoice of the new ones at auction. I don't know if that is still the case.

I'm sure you could get a 2008 for $21K by November.
    Perfect hopefully I get leather and the 19 in. wheels as well.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I plan to buy a G8 GT later this year around Nov/Dec, I just have a few questions.

How is the ownership? Insurance low/high? Parts cost a lot/take a while to come in? Reliability?

Right now Ive seen on average G8's going for around $24-25K, I really want to get one in the low $20k's (around $21K would be nice) do you think that's doable?

Thanks.

Parts fairly easy for South Georgia dealer to get. Wife needed to replace center console unit for the power windows and locks they had it within 24 hrs. They also needed to change out the center stearing wheel inserts as they were having a paint and peal issue those pieces took a couple of days.

Overall fewer and less significant problems with her G8 year one than in 2006 with wife's Maxima SL new its first year.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G8tor View Post
    Parts fairly easy for South Georgia dealer to get. Wife needed to replace center console unit for the power windows and locks they had it within 24 hrs. They also needed to change out the center stearing wheel inserts as they were having a paint and peal issue those pieces took a couple of days.

Overall fewer and less significant problems with her G8 year one than in 2006 with wife's Maxima SL new its first year.
    Oh that is fantastic.

I would've thought the parts took just a little while longer to come in since for the most part they come from Australia.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Here's a white GT with 34,000 miles for just under $22K in Oak Lawn, IL with an ultra-rare AUTO 5 speed!

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...MENT&pgId=2102
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 05-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Here's a white GT with 34,000 miles for just under $22K in Oak Lawn, IL with an ultra-rare AUTO 5 speed!

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...MENT&pgId=2102
    Link doesn't work, but I saw that already cracked me up the first time I saw it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Link doesn't work, but I saw that already cracked me up the first time I saw it.
    Yeah, the cars.com searches used to hold now it takes you back to the home page with the information loaded in where you have to hit enter on the search to bring up the information. It stinks because if you drilled down to get to a specific subset that information is lost.

I find lots of those small things on website. One biggy I found recently on Chevrolet's own sight was in its compare us to the competition on the Impala. If you load an Impala LTZ and compare it to other vehicles the sight lists LTZs mileage at 16/24 which is the now defunct SS V8s mileage and not the 3.9L engine. Kind of embarassing when you are boning your own vehicles in comparison charts. I sent them some feedback but have not seen if they fixed it yet.

Edit:

I just checked it again and it is still wrong on Chevy's site! click on the fuel tab to see the numbers.

http://www.chevrolet.com/tools/compa...ntID=Chevrolet
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 05-18-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevrolet's website is horrible enough even without all the misinformation. It's a shame. Ford has a very intuitive site that Chevrolet should be taking lessons from.

The G8 is a gorgeous sedan and is quite a value for what you get. My only reservation is how the suspension will hold up, but this is only because I've owned a GTO.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I would say that prices would come down to your price range by this winter. If you haven't already I would try these sites as well to ask about reliability and ordering parts:

www.g8board.com

www.grrrr8.net

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 VE Omega Int Dual Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
    Chevrolet's website is horrible enough even without all the misinformation. It's a shame. Ford has a very intuitive site that Chevrolet should be taking lessons from.

The G8 is a gorgeous sedan and is quite a value for what you get. My only reservation is how the suspension will hold up, but this is only because I've owned a GTO.
    Entirely different rear end on the VE/G8

Mike
    Mike McInerney

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cozbyrt View Post
    I would say that prices would come down to your price range by this winter. If you haven't already I would try these sites as well to ask about reliability and ordering parts:

www.g8board.com

www.grrrr8.net
    Thy look somewhat abandoned.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information