GM Inside News Forum banner

Updated Pontiac G6: Any Info?

3K views 22 replies 20 participants last post by  Smellhound 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been enjoying the recent rash of information coming out GM concerning new, updated, future products in recent months: the Volt, '08 Malibu, ZR1 Corvette, CTS, '08 9-3, future 9-4X, etc.

However, after reading all of this, I have been wondering if there is an update coming for the G6?

Obviously we know that the all new Epsilon II platform is coming by decades end and that eventually the LaCrosse, Malbiu and Aura will all migrate to this platform.

We also know that GM and GM-Holden are working on designing a RWD Alpha platform for Holden, Caddy and Pontiac to use. Pontiac is slated to get a RWD G6 by 2011-2013 time-frame. This is obviously great news.

However, it also makes me wonder what the short/mid-term plans are for the G6. 2011-2013 is a LONG way off for a product to stay virtually un-changed on the shelf.

Seeing as how the current Malibu debuted in 2004 and the G6 in 2005 - and that the Malibu is heading into 2008 with a MASSIVE redesign - logic would dictate that the G6 is next up to bat.

However, I have not heard much about an update or even a nice MCE. What gives?

Considering that the Aura and the Malibu are still riding on Epsilon I, and probably won't migrate to Epsilon II for at least 3 and 4 years respectively, there is obviously life left in the Epsilon I platform.

So what gives? GM doesn't honestly think that they are going to keep this product around with little or no changes til 2011 at the earliest -- do they?

This may have been covered elsewhere and I just never really saw it, but does anyone have info on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Given that GM hates Pontiac, that is a very distinct possibility.
With the G8 arriving this decade, I'm sure they figure, Pontiac doesn't need anything else until the next.

I'd vote that they drop the G6's girly face and give it a G8 type front.

nadepalma said:
So what gives? GM doesn't honestly think that they are going to keep this product around with little or no changes til 2011 at the earliest -- do they?

#3 ·
I Would be worried if that was indeed their plan. The Vibe wnet the whole time without any meaningful changes, The Torrent - the same ..

G6 is already outclassed - worse than the Fusion - and desperately needs at least visual facelift to make it look new again.

Igor

#4 ·
ummm yeah no changes. we already got the "GXP" HF3.6 L in the G6 and for all you 'boy racers out there' we offer the "Street Appeareance Package" in an AUTOMATIC CAR...oooooo, ahhhhhh (eyeroll) those were the garbage 'tarted up' changes we got.

Also interesting, so AURA XR gets the HF with NO REDLINE version, yet G6 gets the 3.6 in its supposed GXP version??? What gives, and whats even more embarrassing is Honda Accord and Nissan Altima 6mt/v6's will both SMACK both XR/GXP and even a CAMRY SE V6 can hang with it/beat it. emmmmmbarrrrrrrassssingggggggg.

Pontiac is the female sporty car division till G8 comes out then Pontiac is still the female sportY car division (minus G8 ;) ) IMHO

CobaltSScrazy

#5 ·
I also worry about this... it's unfortunate that after only 3 years it's at the back of the pack... it could use a redo now... but I can't imagine them doing anything with it for at least two more years, unfortunately. Pontiac is going to struggle a while longer before they get everything sorted out.

#6 ·
Are they going to get a new Vibe based on the new Matrix? Little consolation that would be...

G6 will probably replace the Grand Prix as the rental king. I'd be nice if they can give the G6 also some G8 inspired interior as well as exterior.

paul8488 said:
I also worry about this... it's unfortunate that after only 3 years it's at the back of the pack... it could use a redo now... but I can't imagine them doing anything with it for at least two more years, unfortunately. Pontiac is going to struggle a while longer before they get everything sorted out.

#9 · (Edited)
igor said:
I Would be worried if that was indeed their plan. The Vibe wnet the whole time without any meaningful changes, The Torrent - the same ..

G6 is already outclassed - worse than the Fusion - and desperately needs at least visual facelift to make it look new again.

Igor
You would worry if what was their plan Igor?

As a Fusion owner, I do feel that that Fusion is a better vehicle than the G6 as it stands right now. The G6 was definitely the better vehicle than the Malibu when it debuted. But now the Aura and new Malibu definitely stand head and shoulders above it.

Still, I think that it is an attractive vehicle and a good offering --- if not as class leading as it should be.

But that's more the reason to update it -- before it gets so stale that folks actually start to dislike it and GM will have to kill yet another nameplate.
paul8488 said:
I agree Paul, but I hope that the updates come sooner rather than later. 2 years more is a long time to wait for an update.

Just as a thought, do you think that the reason that they haven't updated it yet is b/c there are more versions of the G6 (sedan/coupe/hard-top convertible) than there is of the Malibu? Would setting up the timetable to replace all these variants complicate the refresh?
Chaz_23 said:
I'd be nice if they can give the G6 also some G8 inspired interior as well as exterior.
I would love to see something like this as well. Perhaps this will happen yet. I hope that GM has such a refresh/update/redesign planned.
atomicshark said:
GM: Please, please, please update the interior for 2009 (at the very least).
God knows it needs this. Hell, even updating the head-unit to the new "black-tie" look would be appreciated. However, they haven't even done this. GM is really doing well in the interior department -- seeing what they can do with an updated G6 interior would be nice.
DuSpinnst said:
G6 rots on the vine after an MCE. It stays on Epsilon I.
When will MCE be? I know it will stay on Epsilon I -- especially if they plan on moving it to Alpha when its up and running. However, I still wonder what we can expect between now and 2012/2013? Could we see an MCE soon and a full redesign (ala the Malibu) in 2009/2010 til it gets replaced in 2012/2013?

I wonder....

#10 ·
Chaz_23 said:
G6 will probably replace the Grand Prix as the rental king. I'd be nice if they can give the G6 also some G8 inspired interior as well as exterior.
Unfortunately, I can see GM doing something stupid like that. After all, with the Aura and the new Malibu, who would give the G6 a second look other than rental companies? I wouldn't mind replacing my 2004 Malibu with a Pontiac, but the G8 will be out of my price range, the Vibe is a Toyota, and the G6's interior is so far behind the Aura and new Malibu it is ridiculous.

#14 ·
I agree that the car needs some updates to make it more competitive. I still think the coupe is the best looking in its class/segment. As far as refreshes go:

The stereo should definitely be upgraded to read mp3 CDs and plug in mp3 players.

I love the red lights on the dash, but it's too plain on the passenger side. A dual-****pit swoop with some additional trim (wood grain or metal) would add minimal cost and make it look so much better.

Rims should be standard.

Maybe update the grill with the now-optional chrome inserts, making it recessed a little and more aggressive.

The headlights look great but should be updated to projector beams.

The armrest should slide forward like they do on the Aura and Malibu.

These minor changes and a standard 6pd auto and maybe a more refined & powerful engine with increased fuel economy would do wonders....

I would personally like them to discontinue the 4 cyl, because they are so bad compared to the higher end models and for most people, these rentals are the only impression they have of the G6.

#16 ·
I think GM, like they've shown several times in the last decade, doesn't give a flying squat about Pontiac.

The G6 was a lost after the first year. They didn't offer any the GTP, coupe, or convertable models the first year, and they lost a LOT of male buyers by the whole Oprah event, which was still pretty cool.

I think GM is just letting the G6 rot on the vine, making sales for the rental companies, until they axe it or update it. They seem to care more about the Malibu and the Aura.

But then again, when has GM ever cared about Pontiac?

#18 ·
CobaltSScrazy said:
What gives, and whats even more embarrassing is Honda Accord and Nissan Altima 6mt/v6's will both SMACK both XR/GXP and even a CAMRY SE V6 can hang with it/beat it. emmmmmbarrrrrrrassssingggggggg.
On paper, the Accord, Altima, and Camry have higher horsepower ratings.

In most real world testing, for automatic transmissions the G6 GXP gets a 6.2 second 0-60, which is on par with the Camry and Altima and ahead of the new Accord. The Altima 3.5 and Accord V6 coupe manuals are slightly faster.

That's not great, but it's not embarrassing either. The only embarrassment is that of all cars, the Camry is just as quick and also more fuel efficient without cylinder deactivation. They really did a hell of a job with that 3.5 liter V6. Thank goodness the Toyota and Lexus looks and handling don't match the engine. ;)

#20 ·
Carver said:
Are men really that stupid? (to not buy a car because Oprah gave it away?)
Sure we are. I know plenty of guys who won't buy certain cars because they perceive them as "chick cars". Take the Miata, for example - not highly regarded by a lot of guys.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law has one with a roll bar and a turbo with enough boost to put 250 horsepower to the rear wheels.

#23 ·
Sure we are. I know plenty of guys who won't buy certain cars because they perceive them as "chick cars". Take the Miata, for example - not highly regarded by a lot of guys.

On the other hand, my brother-in-law has one with a roll bar and a turbo with enough boost to put 250 horsepower to the rear wheels.
I totally agree. My cousin is a great example. He was looking for a new car for a while...looked at a Fusion, even an Impala, a few imports...and he wanted somethign 'sporty'. I kept saying "how about the G6 GTP coupe" as I think, with the 18's, it looked as sporty as any of them...but he wouldn't even consider it. He said it looked good, but he wasn't going to buy a "chicks car".

#21 ·
As a past G6 owner, I got the '05 car in '04 before the whole Oprah giveaway, because I like Pontiac and it’s been the first new sedan they've had in a very long time. Over the 3 years I had it; I've loved it and hated it. I used to really like the style, but then it started to look a little girly for me and not really the aggressive styling that Pontiac is known for. I would love to get a G8, it’s definitely aggressive and sporty. They really need to upgrade the G6 for the '09 model year. GM has upgraded other brands totally, ie. Saturn, Buick, its Pontiac's turn now. The Solstice is another car in need of a redo. Pontiac is supposed to be the driving excitement, but GM gave the less aggressive roadster to Pontiac and the sportier roadster to Saturn. But yea, the G6, definitely needs to take some cues from the G8 to actually compete with its stable mates.

#22 ·
IMO, the G6 can't get to RWD soon enough. Get the platform done, and let's get the performance back in every Pontiac. While were at it can y'all get the pirate flag flying back over the Pontiac division H/Q? But only do it if you are serious, again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.