Transmission Designation For '06 Grand Prix GXP

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Transmission Designation For '06 Grand Prix GXP

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP

Transmission Designation For '06 Grand Prix GXP

I recently purchased a 2006 Grand Prix GXP with 80,000 and in very good condition. I've been reading a lot about them and I keep seeing that their transmissions blow up around 60k+, so does anyone have any information on the transmission so I can look up the specs on it? Also, I've read that my front and rear wheels (aluminum Alcoa "18s) are different sizes, I know the front tires are wider, but are the actual wheels different sizes too?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Re: Transmission Designation For '06 Grand Prix GXP

Honestly, best place to ask would be here: www.gmls4.com

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Sean, that's a generalization about the transmissions. I guess some did, especially those that spent time at the dragstrip. Plenty are still going strong at over 100k on the original tranny.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Plenty have been replaced too, LS4's are notorious for devouring their transmissions...strip or street used.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by All Star View Post
    Plenty have been replaced too, LS4's are notorious for devouring their transmissions...strip or street used.
    So what would my best bet be to prevent that from happening? I've been looking into a trans oil cooler, but I'm not sure how much that will actually do for me.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,712 Times in 4,159 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Try http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/ .

The front Alcoas are 8" wide, the rears are 7". I have a pair of rears if you need some. Later 2007s and 2008 etc. went to a cheaper non-Alcoa wheel.

I'd like to see the stats on blown trannies. To hear some folks, especially those with the V8 W bodies, ALL trannies blow. I doubt that's true.

Maybe someone here with GM warranty connections or perhaps at a trannie shop could shed some light on the rumormill.

Good luck with your car.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC teamfbody's Avatar
    Thanks

i had a 2005 GTP Comp G with the same transmission,by 71k miles it was toast,i had it rebuilt havent had a problem yet,from what i heard and read on forums these transmissions always had problems
    SOME CAR COMPANIES(ford,honda,toyota)LURED THEIR BUYERS IN BY DECEPTION & LIES NOT LOYALTY....GENERAL MOTORS RYDE OR DIE.................DIE HARD GM FAN 4 LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Try http://ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-performance-108/ .

The front Alcoas are 8" wide, the rears are 7". I have a pair of rears if you need some. Later 2007s and 2008 etc. went to a cheaper non-Alcoa wheel.

I'd like to see the stats on blown trannies. To hear some folks, especially those with the V8 W bodies, ALL trannies blow. I doubt that's true.

Maybe someone here with GM warranty connections or perhaps at a trannie shop could shed some light on the rumormill.

Good luck with your car.
    I'm interested in those wheels, I'd like to have the same size wheels and tires all the way around, because with a FWD car, I'd like to rotate my tires religiously. Send me a PM with details, please.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

The 440T4 was first used with 2.8L V6's.

Later changed to being called the 4T60, later with electronic controls added later. It served well in like 3100 applications, pretty decent in L27 3800 applications, and alright in L36 3800 applications (non performance vehicles, like LeSabre's etc). It became marginal if put into something a bit more sporty like SSE Bonnevilles.

Became the 4T65 and was stuck with L67 3800's, where it was just a bad idea.

Then they bolted it up to a V8, which became a drivetrain that shouldn't have been sold in the first place.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    The 440T4 was first used with 2.8L V6's.

Later changed to being called the 4T60, later with electronic controls added later. It served well in like 3100 applications, pretty decent in L27 3800 applications, and alright in L36 3800 applications (non performance vehicles, like LeSabre's etc). It became marginal if put into something a bit more sporty like SSE Bonnevilles.

Became the 4T65 and was stuck with L67 3800's, where it was just a bad idea.

Then they bolted it up to a V8, which became a drivetrain that shouldn't have been sold in the first place.
    So what you're saying is my car is using a 4T65 transmission? Any suggestions as to what I should do for it, I.E. new tranny, rebuild current, etc.?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Your car actually utilizes the 4T65 HD transmission, and yes there are random failures but there are also high mileage LS4/4T65HD vehicles as well.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Your car actually utilizes the 4T65 HD transmission, and yes there are random failures but there are also high mileage LS4/4T65HD vehicles as well.
    No it actually utilizes the 4T65E-HD model MN7 which has a 3.29:1 differential. There are 4 differentials used in this unit.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHanson22891 View Post
    So what you're saying is my car is using a 4T65 transmission? Any suggestions as to what I should do for it, I.E. new tranny, rebuild current, etc.?
    If it isn't yet broken...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information