Thoughts on the Torrent

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the Torrent

Thanks

Thoughts on the Torrent

I am considering purchasing a Pontiac Torrent or possibly the Chevy Equinox.
    What are people thoughts on these. I prefer the look of the Torrent.
    Are there any problems to be aware of? I am looking at getting a used 2006 model opposed to a brand new one as they are out of my price range.

All help or info appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: Thoughts on the Torrent

They're pretty good cars...as long as you don't end up with nsap's Equinox.
    I prefer the Equinox more myself, partly since it's the original. But to each his own.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 montrealvue's Avatar
    Thanks

You can get alot more "SUV" in other vehicles. Not to say the Torrent is bad. It's comfortable and spacious and is a decent daily driver. On the down side the drivetrain is dated and not as efficient as many others out there. Also, reliability is kinda spotty. A 2004 or later Saturn Vue with a V6 would be a much better alternative. The Honda drivetrain is bulletproof and prices are about the same as the Torrent or Nox.
    Last edited by montrealvue; 08-06-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    '87 Merc Tracer '88 Toyota Tercel '89 VW Golf '94 Saturn SL '97 Pontiac Grand Am '00 Olds Silhouette '02 Dodge Intrepid '04 Chev Malibu '06 Saturn Vue '08 Toyota Sienna

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

I have a rental one today while my LaCrosse is the shop getting some warranty work. (Will post outcome and observations later.)

What I can say so far is that I like the Torrent. I found the 3400 engine to be more than adequate for merging onto the highway and cruising at 70 MPH. As this is a bit of a stripper model, I did not have a full DIC to tell me fuel-efficiency numbers or anything. I found the interior to be less cheap feeling than the Vibe I was in a few weeks ago. The visors are pretty flimsy in my opinion however. It had a cloth interior. I would go with leather if you can spring for it.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

I currently have an 04 Santa Fe. It doesn't have any safety features like abs or traction control. Needless to say winter driving is an adventure in itself.
    I had a grand am before which was a great car. The Santa Fe has given me more trouble then I want to deal with and I wouldn't recommend it unless you don't mind continuously paying expensive repair costs.
    I test drove a Torrent and was surprised at how much space it had in it.

Thanks

Even though the differences are slight, the Torrent carries the design to a higher level then the Nox. IMO go for the Torrent--its sportier (at least in looks) and a bonus is that you can find it in a parking lot

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    They're pretty good cars...as long as you don't end up with nsap's Equinox.
    I prefer the Equinox more myself, partly since it's the original. But to each his own.
    The VUE was the original, actually.

Don't count the VUE out of your search as others said. I think the Honda 3.5L V6 didn't come in until 2005 tho. The previous 3.0L Vauxhall engine wasn't great and neither is the 3.4L unit in the Equinox or Torrent. But I do agree the Torrent is the best looking of the bunch.
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,650 Times in 1,375 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
    The VUE was the original, actually.

Don't count the VUE out of your search as others said. I think the Honda 3.5L V6 didn't come in until 2005 tho. The previous 3.0L Vauxhall engine wasn't great and neither is the 3.4L unit in the Equinox or Torrent. But I do agree the Torrent is the best looking of the bunch.
    Well yeah, I meant of that body style though. Since the Torrent is basically just an Equinox with red darts all over it.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Well yeah, I meant of that body style though. Since the Torrent is basically just an Equinox with red darts all over it.
    The Red Dart is a fine emblem and I would have no problem having one on the front of my next vehicle as long as the product is worthy.

I am sure you could pick up a slightly used Torrent pretty cheap right now too.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks

If you can afford the GXP, you get a much nicer engine and transmission.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

The Torrent is a lot more thought out design than its Chevy counterpart. The Equinox looks down right flea market cheap to me. If I was considering these two, I'd pick the Torrent handsdown.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird00 View Post
    The Torrent is a lot more thought out design than its Chevy counterpart. The Equinox looks down right flea market cheap to me. If I was considering these two, I'd pick the Torrent handsdown.
    Funniest thing I've read today!

Thanks

Are there any real differences between the years 2006 and now for the torrents besides colours?
    Also I thought I read somewhere about 2006's having some issue with the antenna being loose or coming loose?
    Last edited by jhorton; 08-08-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Thanks

Can someone also tell me what the gas mileage difference would be between an all wheel drive and front wheel drive?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 montrealvue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jhorton View Post
    Can someone also tell me what the gas mileage difference would be between an all wheel drive and front wheel drive?
    FWD:
    City 17
    Combined 19
    Hwy 22

AWD:
    City 16
    Combined 18
    Hwy 21

Pretty average for a 6 cyl. SUV....if you want less look for something with a 4 cyl.
    '87 Merc Tracer '88 Toyota Tercel '89 VW Golf '94 Saturn SL '97 Pontiac Grand Am '00 Olds Silhouette '02 Dodge Intrepid '04 Chev Malibu '06 Saturn Vue '08 Toyota Sienna

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information