Solstice Coupe GXP vs G8 GXP

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solstice Coupe GXP vs G8 GXP

Thanks

Solstice Coupe GXP vs G8 GXP

I'm not one of the big members here, but some may recognize me from previous posts. As I've said before, next year I am going to be attempting a new car purchase sometime in the relatively near future. My top picks are the following:

1. Neo Buick Riviera (if GM every makes it with all the cool stuff of the concept)

2. Pontiac Solstice Coupe GXP or Pontiac G8 GXP

3. 2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD w/ EcoBoost

I understand that the Soltice and the G8 are two completely different animals, but for some reason, they both rank high in my mind. I'm not sure which one I'll get when the time comes, but I'm considering them for the following reasons:

Solstice: Sexy styling, compact and tossable, relatively good mileage, fast

G8: Macho styling, big enough for a family and backseat hanky panky, V8 goodness (sound, torque, feeling), fast

Of course, none of us have been able to test drive the cars, since they're not out yet, but I would like some feedback from everyone else as to the pros and cons of each. I want both of them so bad... but while I think the Solstice will be faster, the G8 will obviously be more practical. Maybe for the price of the G8 GXP, I can get a Coupe GXP and a G3?
    Last edited by Millefune; 12-11-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Grammar
    "People meet, and people part. This meeting may truly be as insignificant as a ripple in the ocean, but that's alright. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, while it lasts." - Shido
    Hidden Content
    Jennifer: Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Solstice Coupe GXP vs G8 GXP

g8 gxp IMHO handy and powerful and its holden so you can trust it and fusion is as ugly as a baboons behind

Baz
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

G8 GXP would be my pick. Looks the part, drives well and has quite a lot of horses hidden under the hood. Also would be a funner drive than the FWD Solstice. Can't comment on the other cars much as they aren't available in Aus

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    Also would be a funner drive than the FWD Solstice. Can't comment on the other cars much as they aren't available in Aus
    Boy, pigs do fly in Down Under, now don't they!?

FWD Solstice - available!

Funnier than the "funner".
    Last edited by CHEVYSOL; 12-11-2008 at 05:31 AM.

Baz
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Eh?

So i confused the G6 with the solstice. Big deal. Looking at the Solstice i can't help but cringe at the rear of the car, the non convertible one that is.

Ugly.

Anyway, still prefer the G8, better styling and more practical. Also have a look at the 1 series BMW's. They are great cars

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

No question if a 2 seater is what you want the solstice couple GXP would be the one I'd go for. Had I not just bought a vette in 08 I'd be ordering a solstice GXP coupe.

Hot ride..

Still if I had a family car need I'd buy the G8 GXP.

Depends on whether you have kids that you need to transport.

If not...Solstice GXP coupe.

JMO
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

The Saturn Sky redline is MUCH sexier than the jelly-bean styling of the Solstice. It's like a baby Corvette. Both have a great profile and stance compared to similar cars like Miatas and S2000s. And the gas mileage is a huge plus. We might be enjoying low gas prices right now, but if $4/gallon gas happened once, it'll happen again. That G8 is gonna suck it up like crazy.

Thanks

So i confused the G6 with the solstice. Big deal.
    Just teasing there, mate.

I totally agree how the back of the Coupe looks like.
    Overall proportions are fine. But the DLO is still hunched forward, resulting in a too deep roof and claustrophobic interior.
    Why is it, since the front header seal is different now anyway?
    I mean the front roof corner could be higher, making the opening more classic looking, with a roofline nicely swooping back
    right from the windshield. It would make the roof visually lighter, without changes to the headroom.

The backlight is just ridiculous in its similarity to a toilet seat, and looks plain ludicrous when open.
    Of course we are not talking about rear visibility or luggage space here. As little as it was there is gone completely now.

But why this little flange marring the taillight is needed, why the outline of the spoiler couldn’t follow the perimeter
    as the deck lid does on the roadster – I just couldn’t understand.
    Why was it necessary to overlap the cluster, design and retool for it, does anybody know?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CHEVYSOL View Post
    Why was it necessary to overlap the cluster, design and retool for it, does anybody know?
    Oh, I think I've got it :

the rear fender still has the gutter, but there is probably no gutter around the back of the opening anymore.
    Thus you have to overlap the rear fascia and taillights.

Unfortunately makes it look like an aftermarket kit.

Walking
    Thanks

Personally, I'm getting the G8 GXP. The extra room and door mated with the LS3 are perfect for me.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,753 Times in 3,273 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Eh?

So i confused the G6 with the solstice. Big deal. Looking at the Solstice i can't help but cringe at the rear of the car, the non convertible one that is.

Ugly.

Anyway, still prefer the G8, better styling and more practical. Also have a look at the 1 series BMW's. They are great cars
    I am trying to convince my wife to let me get one of these. Its an exellent car, especially to take for weekend racing meets.

Baz
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They seem a good car and from the front and side they look pretty good, but when i see them from the back i cringe a lil. The angle makes the car look bad. Needs a redesign of the rear end and it'll be a good car. However not having them in Australia makes it hard as it may be one of those cars, like the VE (G8) which really in person looks so much better than any pictures.

If it is any consolation, i have driven one on Forza motorsport 2 =P. Had an LS7 in it hahaha

Thanks

I like in the convertible version they have those two roadster humps on the back... but I don't like cloth tops. Blech! That's why I'm looking at the coupe.
    "People meet, and people part. This meeting may truly be as insignificant as a ripple in the ocean, but that's alright. I'm going to enjoy it as much as I can, while it lasts." - Shido
    Hidden Content
    Jennifer: Hidden Content

Thanks

The G8 GXP is the one I'm going to buy, of course being up here in Toronto, I'll have to wait longer than you lucky folks down there, also waiting with baited breath for pricing info.
    Sparky56

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

As far as looks go, I love the looks of the Solstice coupe. Reminds me a bit of the Triumph GT-6 i had back in the early 70's.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information