Solstice Coupe

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solstice Coupe

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,313 Posts

Solstice Coupe

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...fails+to+shine

I don't know if this was already posted.

Not exactly the most positive review, except that the car is a blast to drive.

It points out the limitations that we all already know about the top that cannot be stored in the car and the limited luggage room.

It would be a fun toy.

Still a shame that it's in it's only model year.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 CADILLACSIXTEEN's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra | Z71

Re: Solstice Coupe

Plastic Interior
    blah blah blah blah.....

I cant stand when ignorant people like this review vehicles they are against to begin with.

What all these reviewers fail to remember....
    The Solstace's intention was to cost $19,999. A feat nobody believed, or at least if it did it wouldnt look anything like the concept.

But GM nailed it. They made an unbelievably awesome and beautiful roadster for 20 grand. What did they expect to get for $20,000 in 2003? I think the car was a homerun...even with the coupe variant.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Collectors Car!
    2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD - too many miles - July 2008-
    2006 Chevrolet Impala SS 177,000 miles August 2011-
    1959 Chevrolet Impala Convertible 23,000 miles February 2004-
    -

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think the coupe looks outstanding. Classic, almost 1965 Shelby Coupe like lines. While I am a huge fan of the looks and performance of the Solstice (in both forms), it does have its faults. Weight, interior room and layout, and storage space.

It's overweight compared to the Miata, no doubt related to using space frame plus metal body panels (as opposed to the Corvettes space frame plus composite).

It's somewhat cramped for me, and I'm not a wide or tall guy by any means. The interior is laid out well, but its not what I would call nice for a $30k+ roadster/coupe (good ol' Canadian prices!)

Storage space is not good. My criteria for a summer car is being able to hold a pair of golf clubs (likewise, hockey bag for a winter car).

One will still be on my shopping list for a project in a year's time, however.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

The Solstice was more Corvette than Miata. It did well by outselling the Miata for 3 years. I think a more polished redesign with a bigger trunk could have kept it #1....but GM has bigger fish to fry.
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah, no reason to get all hot and bothered about it. We all know the solstice wasn't perfect. No car is, but it's not as bad as they say.
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN View Post
    Plastic Interior
    blah blah blah blah.....

I cant stand when ignorant people like this review vehicles they are against to begin with.

The Solstace's intention was to cost $19,999. A feat nobody believed, or at least if it did it wouldnt look anything like the concept.

But GM nailed it. They made an unbelievably awesome and beautiful roadster for 20 grand. What did they expect to get for $20,000 in 2003? I think the car was a homerun...even with the coupe variant.
    That's great that they were able to take the base price into the 19's, however, the vehicle they are talking about is not a 19,000 dollar vehicle, it has risen in price quite substantially, and an interior like that would not be what I expect out of a vehicle in that price range. Heck, the Malibu's interior is much nicer than that of the Solstice. Okay, so you get two nice looking seats... The plastics are hard and as mentioned, the interior is too cramped (and trust me, I am not big at all, 30" waist and 5'8"), the S2000 and the Miata are more spacious.

I don't blame this person for the review that he has written, he has picked out a lot of the faults that any automobile enthusiast would pick out, and, it is not like he had nothing but bad comments to make about the vehicle, he raved about its driving dynamics and exterior design.

I think that people need to start realizing that the person that is reviewing the vehicle as what it is, in the present, as a new model, rather than looking back trying to remember what it was. If somebody has to do that, it means the vehicle has changed in some manner deserving a review for what it is currently.

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone View Post
    Collectors Car!
    We have 1 of only 2 2009 Coupes in Canada, silver gxp auto, yawn. Should be a yellow 6 spd

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I really like the Coupe, it would be awesome if you could store the targa top in the vehicle. That is really its only draw back.
    Hidden Content

-JD

My Rides
    -2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadra-Drive II 4WD 5.7L V8, with Selec-Terrain and Quadra-Lift in 'Blackberry Pearl'
    -2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4x4 hardtop in "Deep Water Blue Pearl"

Project Car: 1969 Javelin SST 290

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CADILLACSIXTEEN View Post

OK great, but the GXP coupe runs more than $30K -- which puts into the area of the Nissan 370Z, BMW 1-series, and a whole bunch of other cars without entry-level interiors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcs2600 View Post
    OK great, but the GXP coupe runs more than $30K -- which puts into the area of the Nissan 370Z, BMW 1-series, and a whole bunch of other cars without entry-level interiors.
    But the Solstice is based on a cheaper car. It's like the Mustang and Mustang GT500. The GT500 is $50k, but it doesn't have a $50k interior. Another example is the Mitsubishi EVO MR which is over $40k and has a $15k Lancer interior. That's what happens with performance versions of cheaper cars.

If GM designed the Solstice to have a $30k base price, maybe they could've given it a better interior. If the Mustang had a base price of $50k, I'm sure the GT500 would have a better interior.

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

Thanks

Oh, and to get a open roof 370z, you'll probably be looking at close to $40k.

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E. Haskell View Post
    If GM designed the Solstice to have a $30k base price, maybe they could've given it a better interior. If the Mustang had a base price of $50k, I'm sure the GT500 would have a better interior.
    That's true, and I've been critical of the more expensive Mustangs too.

Given that the Solstice Coupe is a niche within a niche car, and they only built a thousand of them, I suppose it's hardly worth typing out a critique. But they seem rather pricey for what you are getting.

Thanks

There weren't many of these coupes made. They were only built for a few months this year. The plant is on a shut down right now and will return to empty the assembly line in July and the plant will close at the end of July.

Thanks

I was just up at my dealer looking at these again today. I went to look at Camaros initially. There were three loaded SS's. Two with the hockey stick stripe package (one had the orange interior option) and a yellow "bumblebee" one with the ground effect pkg.

But they had four Solstice GXP's. Red, White, Black, and that metallic orange. I'd love to get one as a Summer car. Yeah the roof is pain, but I figure I can del with it as I would only drive it on nice days anyhow. I can live with the interior. I could probaby get one for $25K with all these offers and GM card earnings. Instant collectable though.
    Hidden Content

Previous:
    1988 Pontiac Sunbird SE Used
    1992 Pontiac Sunbird SE New
    1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 New
    1996 Pontiac Trans Am New
    1998 Oldsmobile Bravada PEP
    1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP New
    2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi New
    2002 GMC Envoy SLT New
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Comp G New
    2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP New