Saturn Ion Onboard Computer Question

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Saturn Ion Onboard Computer Question

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Saturn Ion Onboard Computer Question

So, my Son's 2004 Saturn Ion has 185K on the clock and runs really well. The other day, he needed a jump start and an engineer friend hooked the jumper cables up... BACKWARDS. AN ENGINEER, NO LESS!.
    Well, that onboard computer took a little hit. Everything functions well, except that the turn signals don't work unless the lights are on.
    A service tech said that it would cost a grand to fix it. I'm thinking that i can find one in a junkyard. They say that even if i do, he'll still have to pay 200 bucks to get it reprogrammed. This makes no sense.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,209 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: Saturn Ion Onboard Computer Question

I can not speak for the ION but almost EVERY GM ECM is serial "locked" to the car it is for so yes the ECM will need to be reprogrammed OR you will have a constant error codes for VIN mismatch and a good chance that some features do NOT work at all OR do "funny things" as the settings are different between cars

I would CHECK all fuses EVEN ones NOT marked for lights as you can get some WIERD faults with nothing more then a popped fuse

ECM = Computer

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah if it's the PCM I'd just go get one from a salvage yard then have a mechanic or dealer flash it or w/e.

Or just keep the lights on.

Or be like my dad and never use turn signals
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    So, my Son's 2004 Saturn Ion has 185K on the clock and runs really well. The other day, he needed a jump start and an engineer friend hooked the jumper cables up... BACKWARDS. AN ENGINEER, NO LESS!.
    Well, that onboard computer took a little hit. Everything functions well, except that the turn signals don't work unless the lights are on.
    A service tech said that it would cost a grand to fix it. I'm thinking that i can find one in a junkyard. They say that even if i do, he'll still have to pay 200 bucks to get it reprogrammed. This makes no sense.
    Considering you can find these cars in the pick-n-pull's now easily...
    maybe just buy all the computers and change them at the same time and then, no reprogram!
    Might need to take the keys and locks from the original one though.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Lone Star Skipper Sea King 35

Totally unfamiliar with Saturn, but I know the Ion shares a lot with the Cobalt. This sounds more like a Body Control Module problem. I think the only way to find out if a salvage yard one will work is try it. Might be worth cross referencing it to the Cobalt (and G5) to see if the part numbers are the same. Then try to find a wreck with similar option content. I do know that the Ion uses the same ignition lock cylinder as the Cobalt so it does not use a programmable key, that isn't an issue.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

All great answers and info. MOST APPRECIATED! It IS the Body Control Module that is screwed up.
    One other clue. It's just his front right blinker light that is acting goofy.
    85 cars since 1975....

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

All great answers and info. MOST APPRECIATED! It IS the Body Control Module that is screwed up.
    One other clue. It's just his front right blinker light that is acting goofy.
    Perhaps that one is blown. I changed my right front, because it didn't work and the flashing sound was twice as fast as the left one, that did work.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    Perhaps that one is blown. I changed my right front, because it didn't work and the flashing sound was twice as fast as the left one, that did work.
    Well, the light flashes when the headlights are on. If the headlights are off, no right hand signals.
    85 cars since 1975....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Yow. Sorry I couldn't help much, JRY. Was hoping I could provide an inexpensive fix. I've had mine since new and still enjoy it. End links or bushings are rattling. Again. Have you tried Saturn specific boards ?

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

We're going to work through it, Citation. Thankfully, it isn't a five alarm fire as the only problem is with the right turn signal. Parts are getting a little hard to come by. He's thinking about the Malibu and making this a second car.
    85 cars since 1975....

Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

We're going to work through it, Citation. Thankfully, it isn't a five alarm fire as the only problem is with the right turn signal. Parts are getting a little hard to come by. He's thinking about the Malibu and making this a second car.
    Good to know. 10 years in with mine. Nothing weird has come up yet, but only at 64,000 miles. At the rate I'm putting on the miles, ION specific parts will really be hard to find when they're needed.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information