Remember the Fiero

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Remember the Fiero

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,111 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Remember the Fiero

Remember the Fiero
    GM’s first mid-engine car shares at least one thing with the new C8 Corvette. Okay, only one thing.
    Car and Driver
    By John Huffman
    Oct 19, 2019

“Back then we were so bereft of good domestic cars it seemed like a ray of hope,” my C/D compatriot Rich Ceppos recalls. “So everyone hoped it would be something else. But it was crap.”

On the occasion of GM’s introduction of its second mid-engine car, the new 2020 C8 Corvette, let’s take a few solemn moments to remember the first one. That would be the 1984 Pontiac Fiero; a car that in its day was as eagerly anticipated as the C8. Maybe even more so. And Rich Ceppos, who wrote of our first contact with the long-awaited C8, was also there to write up the first Fiero way back when.

Pontiac anticipated selling somewhere near 30,000 Fieros that first model year. Instead it shipped 136,840 out to eager buyers. That’s an astonishing number. Corvette sales peaked at 53,807 in the 1979 model year. As far as my research takes me, the 1984 Fiero holds the single-year record for the most sales of any two-seat sports car ever sold in the United States.

Then all the compromises made in developing the Fiero began shining through. According to a 1988 post-mortem in the Los Angeles Timesafter the Fiero’s cancellation, the car was developed on a strict $300 million budget. “We weren’t able to get the extra $40 to $60 million we needed to finish it off exquisitely,” recalled Karl Krapek, who had been the manager of car assembly operations as the Fiero was being developed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

emh
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 568 Posts

Re: Remember the Fiero

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Pontiac anticipated selling somewhere near 30,000 Fieros that first model year. Instead it shipped 136,840 out to eager buyers.
    Whoa, was GM manufacturing nimble enough back then to adjust volume up 4.5x from plan within a year or is this revisionist history (i.e., Pontiac knew going in the demand was going to be huge)?

Regardless, I'd say the Fiero shares at least 2 things with the C8 (not one): they are both great designs as well. IMO, the Fiero still looks good today.
    "The irony of the Information Age is that it has given new respectability to uninformed opinion" -- John Lawton

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information