Possible Astra Owner...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Astra Owner...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Possible Astra Owner...

So at work today, a elderly woman came to pick up her Ion for an oil change. She then said to me "I was just over at the mall, they had these 3 new Saturn's out there. They dont make the Ion anymore, but they have this...this."
    I jumped in and said "Astra?"
    she goes "yes! thats the car! I like it, I think its time I trade my Ion in for one..." She then pulled out this big thing on the Astra, and she starting pointing to it. I told her I knew a lot about it, told her it was GM's best selling car world wide, its sold on pretty much every continent that has roads, and is a huge car in Europe cause thats where its from.
    NONE of that was told to her by the Saturn rep in the mall. She went from I think to I WANT ONE! She liked that it was European built, but she didnt care that it didnt come with all the options that the Euro models get. She liked the style, design, and the overall comfort. This was a elderly woman, probably in ther late 60's, and she was excited to own a Saturn.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: Possible Astra Owner...

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28 View Post
    She liked that it was European built....

she was excited to own a Saturn.
    And that's simply something untapped by GM.
    IT is really an attractive car that would do far better in the US if GM put a little more backing into it.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 09-02-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

If the car could be made at a much cheaper price via American, Canadian or Mexican made, we would be able to equip it with parts that the car needs to be class leading, as well as powertrain.
    I hope that we do get domestictly built Astra's for the next generation.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The Saturn reps are likely trained to avoid sales pitches that involve discussing how the car is European. One of the biggest likes among Saturn owners prior to the revitalization was that they were built in the U.S.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

My sis and her hubby really like the Astra, and are considering getting one when their current lease is up next year... buit they've been spoiled by their Elantra. It has heated leather seats, air, power sunroof, ABS, ESC, traction control... and it's been 100% reliable with not a single problem in the 4+ years they've owned it. They're nervous to go to a new brand when they know that they can get another loaded Elantra for a competitive price.

Says alot for building a good small car...! Still, you're right BigAl and mgescuro... GM needs to get the word out about the Astra, because people would really like it if they'd give it a try!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Late 60s is elderly now?

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    The Saturn reps are likely trained to avoid sales pitches that involve discussing how the car is European. One of the biggest likes among Saturn owners prior to the revitalization was that they were built in the U.S.
    Not when I went to drive the Astra. The saleman made it a point that it was made in Europe.
    I told him "I knew that."

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

The main problem with the Astra is that it has so little power. We don't get the best engine choices.Also in Europe there is a ton of aftermarket accessories for this car and next to nothing here.
    You can make this car look great and perform very competently. But as stated few know about it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    The main problem with the Astra is that it has so little power. We don't get the best engine choices.Also in Europe there is a ton of aftermarket accessories for this car and next to nothing here.
    You can make this car look great and perform very competently. But as stated few know about it.
    Have you driven one? Drive one and say that again, not all things on paper are the same in person.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    The power really isn't that much of a concern. You should drive one. I think you'll be surprised. The numbers hide a pretty decently performing car.

The critical flaw with the Astra is the lack of sunroof on the 3-door. But that's my issue with it. And that's the only issue that's keeping one from my driveway.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The power really isn't that much of a concern. You should drive one. I think you'll be surprised. The numbers hide a pretty decently performing car.

The critical flaw with the Astra is the lack of sunroof on the 3-door. But that's my issue with it. And that's the only issue that's keeping one from my driveway.
    Have you seen the sunroof on the 5 door though? Its huge!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Late 60s is elderly now?

I was wondering the same thing

My sis is just now getting her permit so the final year countdown will soon start until the day she gets her liscence. She can hardly wait as she is 15 and a half already. She never could get the time to get to the drivers Ed courses during school with her loaded schedule with sports and homework. Anyway, she does not know cars much at all but when I asked her what she was looking at getting she said that the new Vue was a cool car. I got on the site to show her some pics of it and the Astra flashed across the screen. She really likes its smaller size and likes the way it looks. So I try to read most of the Saturn discussions here and particularly if they involve the Astra as this is one of the ones that is on the top of the buying list here in about a year. What is the overall impression of the Astra when compared to the Cobalt( another prime contender )?

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Have you seen the sunroof on the 5 door though? Its huge!
    Yup!! Love it too.
    But I think the 5-door is a bit frumpy looking.
    I really love the look of the 3-door. I want a sunroof in the 3-door. And I don't want a 3rd party sunroof.

For now, I'm content to wait.
    But Cooper and Clubman have sunroofs... so...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Late 60s is elderly now?
    To a guy that in his 20's?...I'd think so,then again 60 is the new 30.
    Current line up:
    1987 Buick Regal S/W
    1987 Pontiac Trans AM
    1991 Pontiac Firebird Formula
    1998 Ford Windstar
    1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z-28
    2004 Chevorlet Trailblazer
    And further down the road: 2k4 Cadillac CTS V.

Those gone but not forgotten:
    1991 Ford TaurusHidden Content
    1993 Chevy LuminaHidden Content

--ME--

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    My sis and her hubby really like the Astra, and are considering getting one when their current lease is up next year... buit they've been spoiled by their Elantra. It has heated leather seats, air, power sunroof, ABS, ESC, traction control... and it's been 100% reliable with not a single problem in the 4+ years they've owned it. They're nervous to go to a new brand when they know that they can get another loaded Elantra for a competitive price.

Says alot for building a good small car...! Still, you're right BigAl and mgescuro... GM needs to get the word out about the Astra, because people would really like it if they'd give it a try!
    Have you looked at the options on an Astra? You can get all of that and more yet, so they can continued to be spoiled.

Also JerryL, although the Astra will not break any land spee records, with my manual transmission I have no need or want for any more power than this things has. That 'underpowered' statement if from the people who want to go 0-60 in 4 seconds so that they can wait at the next light and do it all over again. This is a driving car, handles like a dream and still a nice comfortable ride.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information