Is the Pontiac Sunfire a good car to buy?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Pontiac Sunfire a good car to buy?

Thanks

Is the Pontiac Sunfire a good car to buy? I'm looking for one between 2000-current.

Are they reliable? What's their MPG like?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Mazda 3

Re: Is the Pontiac Sunfire a good car to buy?

I have a 2004 sunfire 4 door (they made them up in canada). The car is not bad for the money, It does have interior sound issues (its made of plastic and almost everything vibrates). I have the 2.2 ecotec engine and it has enough power to get up and go. High merging and passing is easy. I'm very pleased with the cars mileage. I dont know the exact MPG, but I can tell you between here and about half way to my cottage (about 280km) it usually sits between half and and three quarters of a tank and I dont have the most fuel efficient driving. I usually do between 120-130km/h which I find in the car is a comfortable cruising speed. Road noise is minimal (pending road quality) and the response of the brakes is good.

Engine wise I havent had a problem with the car. I had to have my brakes replaced the same time as my tires. But they were the original brakes and thus after 100,xxx km they would need replacement.

I forgot to mention that mine is a 5spd

There the "Blue Stallion" its self

Thanks
    Thanked 2,042 Times in 2,103 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I thought you were going for the ION?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Look at the 03/04/05 Model Years.......those have the 2.2L Ecotec good for about 21city/31hwy MPG.
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

Thanks

I think it'd be a good car if you're jsut looking for something that gets decent mileage.

But I have to say, this is exactly why GM didn't do well for so long...

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I had a '96 and loved it. I had two issues with the car:
    - Waterpump: it began to seep literally years before it failed. The brake shop told me it was bad and wanted to do the repair right then. But there was no noise, no over heating, no coolant loss, so I let it go and it was two more years before it started loosing coolant and I had it replaced... there was more than 80k on the car. I guess this was a know issue with the 2.4-2.3l.
    - Motor mounts: Somewhere around 110K miles two of the three motor mounts went. The main symptom was the flex joint in the exhaust cracked and got really loud under hard excelleration.

Oh, I think the struts went at about 70-80k miles.

Other than this I got 135 enjoyable miles before I traded it in.

Thanks

I recently drove one of these (same exact as the picture above too!) when my car was in the shop. It was a 1 day loaner. I would rather keep my 320,000km Taurus than have that car. Wind noise around the A pillar was awful (it had 70,000km on it - 43g miles) and the headlights...well, lets just say I hope you like driving blind. If they're all that bad, I don't know how you could even drive speed limit at night for a long distance without having serious nerve problems. And I hate the way 4 cylinders sound.
    I had to fill it up when I brought it back, so I checked my gas mileage and I got 32 driving 60-65 mph (that works out to about 26 US mpg)...pathetic. You'd be better off buying one of GM's V-6 products in that case.

Just my 2 cents...at least they're cheap. (probably)
    Hidden Content
    If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

Thanks

It is a very good car to buy. Some people complain about highway noise, but it is quieter than same year Honda Civic. I drove ours back to back with my sister-in laws Civic, and the Civic sounds very tinny compared to the Sunbird. Plus the Sunbird looks better!

Thanks

Sunbird was discontinued in the early 90s. The Sunfire was its replacement. I'm sure that's what you meant.

As for the Civic being louder and tinnier, I just find that hard to believe. I've yet to be in a Cavalier or Sunfire that didn't sound like it was going to fall apart over a bump.

Thanks

Yes it is. I have a 2005 that I bought new, and I average 30mpg driving city and highway. In the 4 years that I have owned it, I have had no issues with it at all. I have driven it across Canada and back, and from BC (West Coast) to Vegas and back. I agree with the poster that said to buy a newer version. I love mine, and would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnesota Nice View Post
    As for the Civic being louder and tinnier, I just find that hard to believe. I've yet to be in a Cavalier or Sunfire that didn't sound like it was going to fall apart over a bump.
    Hmmm...I don't remember you being in my car. Guess it must be the only one, then!

I think it'd be a good car if you're jsut looking for something that gets decent mileage.

Yeah great way to prove your point. If you take a picture at night with a bright flash, you can make anything look bad. My interior looks nothing like that. Nice try though.
    Last edited by Love_My_Grand_Am; 09-06-2008 at 01:44 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

All I've ever seen of Civics in our Pontiacs is in the rear view mirror, so I don't know much about just how slow they are compared to our Pontiacs.

Oh and ...Our Sunfire can actually stay in gear. Just imagine.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC longislander's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Solstice, 17 MKZ, 17 Encore

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad View Post
    Buy...as opposed to steal ? Definitely. It's hard to drive when you're in jail.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

I had a 2000 4-door. I loved it, even had a sunroof added. I had the old 2.2, which had good gas mileage. The ecotec started in the 02's if you're looking for one of those. The problems i had were: the muffler bracket rusted through $15 bucks, the headlights went out on me around 65,000 it was some wire that GM had just used electrical tape to connect and it corroded. The radio and mileage light burned out on me, i got those from a junk yard, both around 40,000. The fan blower's resistor went out twice on me they're $42 i think it costs from gm. Brakes seemed to go ever 20,000 for me after the factory, but i'm hard on them with mostly city driving. The doors seemed to start rusting on the bottom around 5 years old i had to re-finish them. The problem that made me get rid of it was the coolant lines, it's like once one goes they all go, and after the third time and 93,000 i decided to trade it in for a g6. But minus those problems i loved it to death, and the problems when you think about it don't keep you from driving it it's minor or defects, except for the coolant leak. Anyways hope you find one that you like preferably the 4 door i thought that they looked better than the bubble but 2 doors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marinerbc View Post
    All I've ever seen of Civics in our Pontiacs is in the rear view mirror, so I don't know much about just how slow they are compared to our Pontiacs.

Oh and ...Our Sunfire can actually stay in gear. Just imagine.

That's funny. The only Pontiacs I see anymore tend to be on the side of the road. I don't see hardly any new ones out and around: just the old beat up embarrassments GM used to put out and say were competitive. Let's not make generalizations. See how stupid the GM generalization I just made was?

And I'd love to see any economy Sunfire or Cavalier even try to pull on the Si. G5 GT. Performance division hey?

My transmission has since been fixed and hasn't given me a problem since. And my interior didn't come from Fischer Price's clearance sale.

The Sunfire and Cavalier's late rendetions looked pretty nice. For less than the competition, it was a worthy little car. But to pretend in any way that it was of stellar build is just silly. That's like saying the TrailBlazer interior is good.
    Last edited by Minnesota Nice; 09-06-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks

There's a day picture. I didn't even think it mattered if it was day or night. It's still a sea of gray Play-Skool.

I like the car's looks, and I always have. It's just that the interior was horrible, even compared to the competition of the time. It had the looks, I'll give it that, and I know they are reliable cars, but let's be realistic here, people.

I've owned a Pontiac Firebird and a Pontiac Grand Am. I know Pontiac. It was my favorite GM brand until they stopped caring about it. Looking back at my Firebird and Grand AM, I have to ask myself how I ever thought the interior was competative or of good build.

But I'll say this: My Firebird and Grand Am NEVER had any rattles on the interior. Maybe one or two minor ones that went away. My Civic has had several.
    Last edited by Minnesota Nice; 09-06-2008 at 08:24 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information