Pontiac G8 Police Interceptor

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac G8 Police Interceptor

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Pontiac G8 Police Interceptor

Just a way to supplement sales.....and I doubt it would hurt resale value as much as selling them all to Avis or Hertz since most cop cars are pretty much dead when they go to auction.

What do you think?
    Last edited by member12; 01-22-2009 at 12:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Pontiac G8 Police Interceptor

It would be nice, but I don't think GM could compete with the pricing Dodge has on the Charger. Also, without producing the G8 locally, I don't think they could provide the volume needed.

Now what would be nice, would be a Camaro Police Interceptor. I'm sure a few Highway Patrols would love to get their hands on those.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I'm sure the parts-supply network would be terrible. Everytime they need something, it would have to come from the other side of the planet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1994 Volvo 940 Turbo

That would be real sweet seeing G8 cruisers out on the streets. But would it be a good idea? If Pontiac is to be resurrected, (which I doubt) it needs to limit - not increase fleet sales
    Gone but never forgotten:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Sport
    1992 Mercury Sable GS
    2004 Honda Accord LX
    2007 Hyundai Sonata

Eric Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

I don't see anything
    SANITIZED: for your viewing pleasure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    I'm sure the parts-supply network would be terrible. Everytime they need something, it would have to come from the other side of the planet.
    I thought they were moving G8 production to share an assembly line with the new Camaro. If that's not the case, then this doesn't make since.

Still, if Ford is killing the Crown Vic and police departments seem to be partial to large RWD cars, then maybe demand would be enough to move production here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    I thought they were moving G8 production to share an assembly line with the new Camaro. If that's not the case, then this doesn't make since.

Still, if Ford is killing the Crown Vic and police departments seem to be partial to large RWD cars, then maybe demand would be enough to move production here.
    It seems all the police departments are buying up Chargers because they are so cheap. When the Crown Vic goes out of production, Dodge will have virtually no competition in the Cruiser market, unless they start purchasing SUVs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

That's not the story by a long shot.

Last I looked, the CV was considerably cheaper.

Other than a useful trunk space advantage the Charger has a leg up on the CV in basically every single comparative measure.

During the oil bubble, the Chargers FE advantages with both engines mattered to some departments more than is typical.

Any department that weighs certain acceleration and high speed pursuit capabilities heavily starts to lean towards the 5.7L Charger - there is no comparison between that one and all the rest as expected.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

Yeah, but Ford is planning on slowing Crown Vic production and eventually shutting the line down.

There was a thread earlier that noted that the Crown Vic needed to be replaced with a RWD crossover. I'd bet that a valid replacement would be something like the upcomming Ford Taurus and Ford Explorer if they can prove reliable...and judging from the very impressive durability of Ford's newer products, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

The way it looks is that departments (and taxpayers) are going to get the shaft and the CV is going to be replaced with more expensive unit-body products from either Ford, GM, or Chrysler. I think the dated Impala may become the new "cheapest" product if the CV gets the axe sooner than scheduled. The Charger and new Taurus are probably better cars, but they are also more expensive.

More importantly, the G8 and new Taurus look so much better than the Crown Vic. I'm curious as to how that Carbon Motor thing does. I'd hope that our government would support upstart companies by sending some business their way! Who knows? If we lose Chrysler or GM, maybe someone like John Deere, Carbon, or International will enter the private car market.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    That's not the story by a long shot.

Last I looked, the CV was considerably cheaper.
    That's not really an accurate statement. The cost of these vehicles varies. Each department puts out for a bid, and many times (based on the actually press releases I read from various departments) the Charger comes back cheaper than the Crown Victoria, and it has more standard safety features and better fuel economy. So it's a win win win.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Something like this perhaps ?

Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Thanks

CHP just bought a bunch of V6 Chargers here in California - they make the same power as V8 Crown Vics and get better gas mileage/emmissions. 275-300hp is all ya need to pull over fools, let the radios and ghetto birds get em if they run (heli's)
    Last edited by 05evors; 01-24-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Thanks

Can we get it in yellow and blue with "Interceptor" across the back...if so, then we can talk.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar solman98's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Elantra Sport 2.0 6M

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Can we get it in yellow and blue with "Interceptor" across the back...if so, then we can talk.
    With a wide set of BFG's to boot.......

And of course, the Pursuit version....

Last edited by solman98; 01-28-2009 at 02:33 PM.
    Hidden Content
    18" Polished Cobalt SS/SC wheels, LED tails, Recon 48 LED running board lights/signals, Turbo Tech rear 1" sway bar 35w 5K HID's. Upgraded to larger SS front brakes. RIP March 20 2015.

Thanks

GT cop cars - cool!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information