Pontiac Falls From Muscle Car Glory to Graveyard

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontiac Falls From Muscle Car Glory to Graveyard

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

NY Times
    October 29, 2010
    By Nick Bunkley

DETROIT — Pontiac, the brand that invented the muscle car under its flamboyant engineer John Z. DeLorean, helped Burt Reynolds elude Sheriff Justice in “Smokey and the Bandit” and taught baby boomers to salivate over horsepower, but produced mostly forgettable cars for their children, will endure a lonely death on Sunday after about 40 million in sales.

It was 84 years old. The cause of death was in dispute. Fans said Pontiac’s wounds were self-inflicted, while General Motors blamed a terminal illness contracted during last year’s bankruptcy. Pontiac built its last car nearly a year ago, but the official end was set for Oct. 31, when G.M.’s agreements with Pontiac dealers expire.

“They were C.P.R.-ing a corpse for a long time,” said Larry Kummer, a retired graphic artist who has owned more than two dozen Pontiacs and runs the Web site PontiacRegistry.com.

The G.M. brand that was advertised for “driving excitement,” Pontiac brought Americans the Bonneville, GTO, Firebird and other venerable nameplates. Sportier than a Chevrolet but less uppity than an Oldsmobile or Buick, the best Pontiacs, recognizable by their split grille and red arrowhead emblem in the middle, were stylish yet affordable cars with big, macho engines.

Its biggest triumph was the GTO, developed by Mr. DeLorean, the brand’s rebellious chief engineer, in violation of a G.M. policy dictating the maximum size of a car’s engine. The GTO was a hit, and the age of the muscle car had begun.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1G6
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member 1G6's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pontiac Falls From Muscle Car Glory to Graveyard

Solstice coupe!

R.I.P. Pontiac. I hope to own a cherry 71-72 Grand Ville 455 sedan someday.

2008 Buick Lucerne CXL - Hidden Content
    1994 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight Regency - Hidden Content
    1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Here we go, in three, two, one ... GM SHOULD'VE SAVED PONTIAC!!! BUICK SUX! GM DOES NOTHING RIGHT!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I will just have to buy used. Well cared for examples will always exist. I am sad I never got to buy my 2010 G8 with the 304HP DI V6/6 speed auto.
    Proud Pontiac Owner
    2004 Grand Am SE V6 with 1SB package. Faster then my 2,4L Cobalt auto was! More fun to drive too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Here we go, in three, two, one ... GM SHOULD'VE SAVED PONTIAC!!! BUICK SUX! GM DOES NOTHING RIGHT!
    I think the opposite. Even after owning two Pontiacs I really have no attachment to them. There were some great cars, and some not so great cars.

Chevy, Buick and Cadillac should really up the ante on performance now. Not because they don't have Pontiac anymore but because Pontiac never really put out world class performance, short of the G8 and a few others.

I hope that Buick turns into what Pontiac should have been all along, of course as a Buick but a stylish, affordable vehicle that is desirable.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I dont want to see Pontiac get killed but the sales of their cars got lower and lower the more and more bland cars they made in the 90's and 00's except for the trans am and G8 they were pretty bland and boring

Banned
    Thanks

So, what happens to the Yellow G5 sitting at my local Pontiac dealer's lot after Sunday? TP target by GM management?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1G6 View Post
    Solstice coupe!

R.I.P. Pontiac. I hope to own a cherry 71-72 Grand Ville 455 sedan someday.

Why?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Why?
    Why? Cuz the '72 Grand Ville ROCKS! Buddy of mine had a '72 just like the one in the pic, but blue instead of green. Hard to put a finger on why, but there was something special about that car. Funny, as much as the '71 looks like the '72, I don't like the '71s. The '72 grille, with the higher, more "tucked up" bumper, and those unique '72 GV tail lights... I dunno, I just loved the '72 fullsize Ponchos for some reason.

'64-'65 and '68-72 Tempest/LeMans. '73-'75 Grand Am.
    '67-'68 and '70-'76 Firebird.
    '69-'70 Grand Prix.
    And nearly every fullsize from '59 rocked! Hell even in the depth of the nasty '70s, the '76 big Pontiacs were styled far better than most cars in its class. '77 was the beginning of the end. Whitetrashy screaming-chicken Banditmobiles.... nasty overchromed fullsizers.... dull-as-dishwater midsizers.... every fuglyass Grand Prix made since '71.....

There was a little blip of hope in the 80s. The Firebird came back around, only to quickly descend back into its role as bespoilered, bestriped, t-topped jerseygirlmobile. The Fiero was the right idea executed the wrong way (why not the Turbo 1.8 OHC in a sports roadster?). The 6000 STE showed that GM could make a competent sport sedan (the jury is still out on that stupid dashboard though), and the Sunbird/J2000 was a stylish little compact.

Pontiac sales in the 80s even eclipsed its phenomenal success in the 60s. But the rot had set in. Pontiac died the day GM took autonomy away from its divisions. I dont think shared components, or heck even shared bodies, is what hurt GM, since I don't think many people even cared, but GM divisions had lost their individuality. Pontiac came to mean tacky spoilers and lots of fog lights. It wasn't the real thing. It was pastiche.

Everybody insists Pontiac needed to be a "performance brand". Horseapples. Pontiac didn't need to be that, it just needed to be unique, distinctive, and appealing to buyers. G6s and Torrents just weren't what buyes wanted.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CadiEldo67 View Post
    I think the opposite. Even after owning two Pontiacs I really have no attachment to them. There were some great cars, and some not so great cars.

Chevy, Buick and Cadillac should really up the ante on performance now. Not because they don't have Pontiac anymore but because Pontiac never really put out world class performance, short of the G8 and a few others.

I hope that Buick turns into what Pontiac should have been all along, of course as a Buick but a stylish, affordable vehicle that is desirable.
    I was actually being sarcastic and imitating some Pontiac loyalists that post on here in a humorous but somewhat serious way.

Pontiac had a good life. I'd love to see em come back in a niche kind of way, but I've accepted reality and I'm not going to dwell on what is now the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,995 Times in 4,004 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

One really interesting point in the article that I never knew was that up to the 1950's Pontiac was a grandmother's car - stodgy. So they successfully repositioned the brand into a performance lineup, presumably attracting a much younger clientele. Sounds a lot like Buick today.

Thanks

Not much different than the demise of Olds. Ugly cars just don't sell. The few bright spots were so limited in scope (Soltice ie) that the brand had to vanish.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 The Other Guy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I said that, before I saw what GM has done to Buick.

Now I believe they did the right thing.

Thanks

Well the brand falls to the graveyard, but the models are still around to carry the muscle car flag. On the internet always easy to find someone who has a Pontiac ride like yours, or parts for it to keep 'em runnin for a long time to come.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    One really interesting point in the article that I never knew was that up to the 1950's Pontiac was a grandmother's car - stodgy. So they successfully repositioned the brand into a performance lineup, presumably attracting a much younger clientele. Sounds a lot like Buick today.
    What may surprise you is that THE "hot" car of the early 1950s was.... Mercury! Pontiac's "performance" ticket was patterned on Mercury's success. That's why the two were considered natural opponents for so many years.

It's a shame neither of their respective corporate parents were able to maintain a youthful image for either brand.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information