To the owners of a Pontiac G8 GT.....

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: Would you recommend I buy a Pontiac G8 GT?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To the owners of a Pontiac G8 GT.....

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

To the owners of a Pontiac G8 GT.....

Would you recommend it?

Seeing as the Chevy Zeta sedan won't be coming till MY2014 (thank you very much GM) I am now considering buying a G8 GT until then.

So, what do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Re: To the owners of a Pontiac G8 GT.....

I voted yes with caveats. I assume you realize that the fuel mileage of 18 combined is accurate and will be less with mostly city driving. Also as these vehicles move from bumper to bumper warranty you are free to "modify" the interior through the aftermarket with whatever it is that you deem lacking (bluetooth, in-dash nave, better stereo, better armrest from Holden, different color leather, etc.) I have switched to premium E10 from regular E10 and have noticed a little extra power and fuel economy. There is one gas station in town the sells no ethanol gas that I may try soon.

I am coming up on two years of ownership in March with 22,300 miles and almost no issues. (A couple Check Engine lights from the gas cap is about it.) The rims I wrecked hitting a pothole and getting my passenger door hit in a work parking lot were not manufacturer issues.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 01-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,394 Times in 2,496 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Yes. If I were to buy a G8 GT again, it would be nothing different.

I have a "base" GT. The only thing base about it is it has cloth seats, 4 way driver and 18" rims. I personally didnt want the leather NOR the 19" wheels despite how good they look.

There are a few problems with the cars but they are really just quirks in my mind. I need to get my fuel cap replaced because it wont lock down the first time a lot of the time. Warranty.

Some cars also have a lifter tick noise. If left alone, the lifters will fail and eat your cam. Its not a big deal and it takes a day to fix at the dealership under warranty.

A lot of people complain about the noise the front suspension makes as well. Until my car warms a little, I get a little clinking from the front. Does it bother me? Nope.

Now, onto the good stuff. If you keep your foot out of the go pedal, you can get pretty good gas mileage. Recently, during winter mind you, I drove pretty easy. I got 18.4 MPG (IIRC, I know it was over 18) in PURE city driving. 100%. However, you will probably average around 16 if you have a little fun.

The car is fast. With just a CAI, I ran 13.3 @ 104 MPH. For our little L76, 361 HP motor that is really good. Plus, because its a LS series motor, the mod potential is great. Its very, very easy to get the cars into the 12s. Usually a CAI, headers and tune will lock you into the 12s.

Then, its a complete blast to drive. I literally smile every time I drive it. Even my wife loves the car which is really saying something as she hated my Formula.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    15 Mustang GT/04 GTO/09 G8GT

Yes.

Some of the very minor issues have been addressed by the above posters. I would recommend you find the lowest mileage and best condition you can find as well. Just did my third oil change not 15 minutes ago in my driveway, piece of cake. Just be ready for the 8.5 qts. it takes and using fully synthetic. I'm going 7.5 to 8K between changes now. If you haven't already, check out G8board.com and you can get some very good information from fellow owners. Land a GXP if you can swing it and can find one used. I wish our GT was a GXP but it still a great car. Don't worry about the mileage. If you like performance, RWD and a V8 I don't give a **** about the mileage as long as it is in the teens. Good luck.
    Hidden Content
    2015 Mustang GT Premium TY A6
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Should I buy within the 3/36K warranty? Because almost 90% of the G8 GT's I'm finding have either around or north of 30K miles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

The only thing that you might want to do under the 36k mark is get the LCA replaced if they havent.

Pretty much everything else is solid as can be on these cars.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    The only thing that you might want to do under the 36k mark is get the LCA replaced if they havent.

Pretty much everything else is solid as can be on these cars.
    What's an LCA?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    15 Mustang GT/04 GTO/09 G8GT

I'd try to get one still with a little warranty left if it were me.

LCA = Lower Control Arm : There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out on a clunking in the front suspension for the G8 GT. If a customer complains of this under warrantee the dealer will replace both pair of front LCA's. (I believe there are two on each side.) Ours has not exhibited this yet after 26K miles although strangely enough my wife put the GT into a curb after the roads had iced over and mashed the passenger front wheel and bent the passenger side forward LCA in the process. We ended up getting a new wheel and LCA out of the insurance claim process. Again I would refer you to G8board.com and try a search in the TSB section and you will find a WORLD of information to help you out.
    Hidden Content
    2015 Mustang GT Premium TY A6
    (2015 Z2RC) Denied by No-Choice Reuss and GM executive dimwits
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT SRM *
    2004 Pontiac GTO IBM/Blue A4 (1 of 369)*
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP*
    1976 Chevy El Camino Classic
    *all 3 Pontiacs purchased new and still owned/driven

RIP Pontiac 4/27/09: Cruelly killed by GM and know-nothings.
    Currently Ignoring: LovelyMoon 2002 Caddy autoplaybook guionM megeebee PearlsRider PhishPhood Suziebob t-rex

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Screw991le's Avatar
    Thanks

I love my G8 GT. Besides the bad LCAs and strut bearings, I would buy another.

Also the L98s are having a lifter issue and a 2-3 shifting problem. Which are both covered.
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

I recently had an Altima as a loaner while my car was being serviced, I thanked the dealership for reminding me why I bought I G8...

No regrets.

I rarely post on here, mostly just lurk, but the G8 threads tend to bring me out of the shadows.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Would you recommend it?

Seeing as the Chevy Zeta sedan won't be coming till MY2014 (thank you very much GM) I am now considering buying a G8 GT until then.

So, what do you all think?

Baring a dissertation ............ Yes.
    .................................................. ........................................Hidden Content
    ////
    o o
    -
    When people see me they say, "Hi Octane."

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Screw991le View Post
    I love my G8 GT. Besides the bad LCAs and strut bearings, I would buy another.

Also the L98s are having a lifter issue and a 2-3 shifting problem. Which are both covered.
    L98? I think you mean the L76. The L98 is the same motor without the AFM/DOD hardware so you are right for about 98% of the motor.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit Orange View Post
    I'd try to get one still with a little warranty left if it were me.

LCA = Lower Control Arm : There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out on a clunking in the front suspension for the G8 GT. If a customer complains of this under warrantee the dealer will replace both pair of front LCA's. (I believe there are two on each side.) Ours has not exhibited this yet after 26K miles although strangely enough my wife put the GT into a curb after the roads had iced over and mashed the passenger front wheel and bent the passenger side forward LCA in the process. We ended up getting a new wheel and LCA out of the insurance claim process. Again I would refer you to G8board.com and try a search in the TSB section and you will find a WORLD of information to help you out.
    GM's not having good luck with their LCAs huh? Same issues on the Cobalts as well. More annoying in winter than when the weather's warm.

I had to vote "Maybe" because I wanted to see th results, but am not currently an owner so didn't feel I could confidently say "Yes."

ZQ8
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I vote Hell yes.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information