Ordered the GMPP Stage II for my Solstice!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered the GMPP Stage II for my Solstice!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC WWI Flying Ace's Avatar
    Thanks

Ordered the GMPP Stage II for my Solstice!

Pulled the trigger Friday on my GMPP Stage II from Crate Engine Depot for my beloved Solstice GXP! (They still have the kit at $550!) Can’t wait for it to get here…called the dealer...binging it in to them for a couple warranty fixes, and for the install…CAN’T WAIT! Have been craving this since before the Wilmington factory tour last May when they annoucned that it would be released...I knew I would get it...just didn't know when, and it has been a long wait for it to be released and to get the greenbacks for it...it should make the daily 110 mile round trip a whole lot more FUN! From 260HP/260 ft Lbs torque to 290HP/340 ft Lbs torque...man, I can't WAIT for spring! Top down and flyin'! Love my Poncho! Love GM!!!!!!! Thank you Bob Lutz!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Ordered the GMPP Stage II for my Solstice!

Let us know how it goes. Don't forget pics.

Thanks

Will do! But I just found out they are backordered...won't get more till later Feb/March. DANG! Have to cool my jets a bit longer...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

340 ft/lbs heck my 455 only makes 355 ft/lbs but that's at 2200 rpm
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    Pulled the trigger Friday on my GMPP Stage II from Crate Engine Depot for my beloved Solstice GXP! (They still have the kit at $550!) Can’t wait for it to get here…called the dealer...binging it in to them for a couple warranty fixes, and for the install…CAN’T WAIT! Have been craving this since before the Wilmington factory tour last May when they annoucned that it would be released...I knew I would get it...just didn't know when, and it has been a long wait for it to be released and to get the greenbacks for it...it should make the daily 110 mile round trip a whole lot more FUN! From 260HP/260 ft Lbs torque to 290HP/340 ft Lbs torque...man, I can't WAIT for spring! Top down and flyin'! Love my Poncho! Love GM!!!!!!! Thank you Bob Lutz!
    Dang, that sounds awesome. I can't believe the torque numbers from that wee little motor. Have fun with it. Let us know how she performs cause my buddy was considering ordering the same kit for his T/C Cobalt and it would be good to hear how it performs before he gets it himself.
    2008 Silverado 4x4 LTZ Vortec Max aka Black Betty

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

This is awesome. Where can you find that kind of hp and tq increase for that kind of money and you keep your warranty intact?

Very smart move on your part.

JB
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Peak Tq doesn't really come at a high rpm

"2007 & 2008 Solstice/Sky Manual Trans: 290 [email protected] rpm \ 340 [email protected] rpm
    2007 & 2008 Solstice/Sky Auto Trans: 290 [email protected] rpm \ 325 [email protected] rpm"

3600 rpm for 340 ft lbs? My 4.8 only makes [email protected] and [email protected]

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    I’ll say this…I love my Solstice, and she sounds great at WOT…but the sound of a big roaring V-8 just can’t be beat…old school power! Saw your thread on that 455 you just picked up…what a cool beast! You are going to love the spring when you can put the top down and cruise with that beautiful monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme08 View Post
    Dang, that sounds awesome. I can't believe the torque numbers from that wee little motor. Have fun with it. Let us know how she performs cause my buddy was considering ordering the same kit for his T/C Cobalt and it would be good to hear how it performs before he gets it himself.
    It is amazing to me too! I don’t know a lot about Cobalts (weight, stock performance, etc.) beyond that they share the same engine…so I can’t say for sure what the full benefit for Cobalts would be…but I know from the Solstice Forum that people are really happy with this tune in their Skys and Solstices (sidebar…Solstices? Solsti? Solstii?) I will definitely come back and report though once I get it in. There are a couple threads there that have a lot of information on the tune and the experience of early adopters getting it put in the car (has to be done at a dealer). I compiled a list of the recommendations I saw from the first couple months of availability that your buddy can keep in his back pocket for when he does order it and get it installed:

Be sure the following three data points are provided to the dealer before they begin the install of the GM stage 2 kit:
    • Check to be sure “o” rings are not rotten/old/splitting and replace if needed before teardown (cannot reuse ones on car with new kit…new parts have to be acquired if provided “o” rings are bad. Early kits were shipping w/bad “o” rings but this may no longer be the case).
    • Have service tech start reflash conversation with GM at start of install, then begin working on the sensors to save shop time.
    • Should not reflash with tech2, must use passthrough. MDI tool will also allow the flash to work properly.

If they DO have to use the tech2, the following learning should be considered by the tech:
    • (http://www.gmde.net/images/mdi.pdf “link describes the passthrough procedure via tech2.”)
    • Provide the correct cal number as listed on the pages supplied with the kit. The original cal instead of the new cal will not work.
    • If using tech2, "the cal had to be loaded from the computer into the tech2 via ethernet cable with the aldl cable disconnected. Then the aldl cable had to be connected and the ethernet cable had to be disconnected from the tech2 to transfer the cal to the ecu or it wouldn't work. Having both cables connected at the same time seemed to be a big problem. Although both had to be connected to prove the vin number so the new cal could be downloaded from the remote site. Passthrough on the tech2 appeared to transfer the cal, but when the ecu info was read back, it was the old cal, so passthrough was not used to make it finally work."
    • the baro parameter when observed on the tech2 is an ambient atmospheric reading.

After I posted it, three other things were also suggested:
    • verify the correct wires are spliced as they can not always go by color coding. A TSB was referenced regarding this but could not be found by the person that had reported it. (I don’t know if this applies for a Cobalt or not).
    • some differences between auto and manual transmissions (not sure what they are)
    • In 2008 models, is there an auxiliary brake vacuum pump or not (I think this is Solstice/Sky specific but not sure).

Hopefully this info might come in handy for him! I hope he gets it! If he does, make sure he checks Crate Engine Depot…they had it listed at $550 very recently. GM has it for $650, so he can save a C-note that way…unless CED raises their prices before then. Worth a look though! The other cost is that GM recommends an hour of shop time to put it in, and you have to get it flashed at a dealer, even if you have done the sensor install yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    This is awesome. Where can you find that kind of hp and tq increase for that kind of money and you keep your warranty intact?
    Very smart move on your part.
    JB
    Thanks! Should make the daily drive a lot more fun! The smartest move may have been justifying it to my wife though on environmental grounds since…when I am not flooring it…it will increase MPG by 1 or 2 per gallon (and I do have a long commute), I sold it with the old “honey, sooner or later it will pay for itself in fuel savings.” Technically that is true…of course as soon as I put my foot in it to enjoy the new ponies and ft lbs that fuel saving will go out the window…not that I would ever DO anything like that! So it will just be a longer ROI than it could be…

Going to see if I can make it work again…”Now, sweetheart, about that performance exhaust that I’ve been eyeing that will also add a couple MPG…”

Quote Originally Posted by 68haywagon View Post
    Peak Tq doesn't really come at a high rpm
    "2007 & 2008 Solstice/Sky Manual Trans: 290 [email protected] rpm \ 340 [email protected] rpm
    2007 & 2008 Solstice/Sky Auto Trans: 290 [email protected] rpm \ 325 [email protected] rpm"
    3600 rpm for 340 ft lbs? My 4.8 only makes [email protected] and [email protected]
    Mike
    The more I find out about this engine, the more it amazes me…I have a 401 V-8 in my 1973 AMX…but that sucker is only listed at 255 HP at the wheels stock when it was new. When you make changes to an engine like that, you dump in more gas to go faster and it just drinks and you go faster…I think I was about 7 or 10 MPG last time I was keeping track of it. (Not that it matters…the purpose of that car is not to get good mileage! )

The new engine is just a totally different animal…doing modifications on it improves the MPG? That one really blew me away when I found out about it. (Unless you floor it that is!) I just have to shake my head sometimes…but it sure is fun to drive!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WWI Flying Ace View Post
    It is amazing to me too! I don’t know a lot about Cobalts (weight, stock performance, etc.) beyond that they share the same engine…so I can’t say for sure what the full benefit for Cobalts would be…but I know from the Solstice Forum that people are really happy with this tune in their Skys and Solstices (sidebar…Solstices? Solsti? Solstii?) I will definitely come back and report though once I get it in. There are a couple threads there that have a lot of information on the tune and the experience of early adopters getting it put in the car (has to be done at a dealer). I compiled a list of the recommendations I saw from the first couple months of availability that your buddy can keep in his back pocket for when he does order it and get it installed:

Be sure the following three data points are provided to the dealer before they begin the install of the GM stage 2 kit:
    • Check to be sure “o” rings are not rotten/old/splitting and replace if needed before teardown (cannot reuse ones on car with new kit…new parts have to be acquired if provided “o” rings are bad. Early kits were shipping w/bad “o” rings but this may no longer be the case).
    • Have service tech start reflash conversation with GM at start of install, then begin working on the sensors to save shop time.
    • Should not reflash with tech2, must use passthrough. MDI tool will also allow the flash to work properly.

If they DO have to use the tech2, the following learning should be considered by the tech:
    • (http://www.gmde.net/images/mdi.pdf “link describes the passthrough procedure via tech2.”)
    • Provide the correct cal number as listed on the pages supplied with the kit. The original cal instead of the new cal will not work.
    • If using tech2, "the cal had to be loaded from the computer into the tech2 via ethernet cable with the aldl cable disconnected. Then the aldl cable had to be connected and the ethernet cable had to be disconnected from the tech2 to transfer the cal to the ecu or it wouldn't work. Having both cables connected at the same time seemed to be a big problem. Although both had to be connected to prove the vin number so the new cal could be downloaded from the remote site. Passthrough on the tech2 appeared to transfer the cal, but when the ecu info was read back, it was the old cal, so passthrough was not used to make it finally work."
    • the baro parameter when observed on the tech2 is an ambient atmospheric reading.

After I posted it, three other things were also suggested:
    • verify the correct wires are spliced as they can not always go by color coding. A TSB was referenced regarding this but could not be found by the person that had reported it. (I don’t know if this applies for a Cobalt or not).
    • some differences between auto and manual transmissions (not sure what they are)
    • In 2008 models, is there an auxiliary brake vacuum pump or not (I think this is Solstice/Sky specific but not sure).

Hopefully this info might come in handy for him! I hope he gets it! If he does, make sure he checks Crate Engine Depot…they had it listed at $550 very recently. GM has it for $650, so he can save a C-note that way…unless CED raises their prices before then. Worth a look though! The other cost is that GM recommends an hour of shop time to put it in, and you have to get it flashed at a dealer, even if you have done the sensor install yourself.

Thanks alot for the info, I'll definitely let him know. And $550 is a steal for 30hp and 80ft/lbs. The total cost with installation will be like $700ish right?
    2008 Silverado 4x4 LTZ Vortec Max aka Black Betty

Thanks

Should be something like that...will depend on shop time and the rate at his local dealer though. GM reccomends an hour, some of the people on the Solstice forum report it has taken a couple hours of shop time. That is why one of them reccomended having the tech call GM first, before messing with the sensors though. Apparently they have to spend some time on hold sometimes or something....which gets pricy at a shop hourly rate!

Thanks

Supposedly going to ship tomorrow...can't wait! Got to prep the dealer to get ready for the instal...hoooooo boy!l

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jaywestfall's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 Chevrolet C1500/Green

Are you going to do before and after dyno pulls to document the performance increase? That would be interesting to see
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club
    Join our new grassroots Pontiac Resurrection Discussion @ Hidden Content

Thanks

Not I...but someone on the Solstice Forum already did. Well, a few people have...here are some links:
    http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...results-54507/

Also:
    http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...tml#post810264
    which includes:
    http://www.pullenrealestate.com/images/DynoAll3runs.gif
    http://www.pullenrealestate.com/imag...peaktorque.gif
    http://www.pullenrealestate.com/imag...3runPeakHP.gif

Man, I can't wait...should ship today...a month long backorder is awful...

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC jaywestfall's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 Chevrolet C1500/Green

Wow, those guys really take this stuff seriously! Does my heart proud to see these guys dialing in their machines for performance, sigh
    Member of The: I will never buy a Japanese car in my life Club
    Join our new grassroots Pontiac Resurrection Discussion @ Hidden Content

Thanks

STILL on backorder! Should ship "in next couple days". Been hearing that for a week.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast