need power

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: need power

Walking
    Thanks

Talking need power

i have a 99 grand prix se with the 3.1L in it. i was wondering if there is anything out there to get more power out of it. i found headers, exhaust, and injectors for it but what else is there. i already have a cold air intake.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: need power

Quote Originally Posted by Kuti93 View Post
    i have a 99 grand prix se with the 3.1L in it. i was wondering if there is anything out there to get more power out of it. i found headers, exhaust, and injectors for it but what else is there. i already have a cold air intake.
    The most practical thing is to trade it for something with more power. You're kicking a dead horse with a 3.1

You'd notice a larger difference swapping to a GP with a 3.8 than if you add the injectors, headers, and exhaust, and there's an unlimited aftermarket for 3.8 accessories.
    Last edited by MrCritical; 05-07-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: ...

Walking
    Thanks

surprisingly, it has alot of noticeable power. i was spinnin the tires on it through 3rd gear and still averaging around 21 in the city. ran a 16.3 in the 1/4. i just want a little more out of it and it was a free car so it's not like i'd be losing money with it

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Find a wrecked 3.1 turbo and use the turbo kit!

Walking
    Thanks

i've been lookin but haven't found any

Thanks

You're gonna need some internal mods, don't just slap on a turbo. You'll be looking for an engine next.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    You're gonna need some internal mods, don't just slap on a turbo. You'll be looking for an engine next.
    3.1's are cheap as chips, go to U-pull and get a new one for a c-note if it blows up...

I say put NOS on the ****er! A 100 hp shot should do the trick. Yee haw!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuti93 View Post
    surprisingly, it has alot of noticeable power. i was spinnin the tires on it through 3rd gear and still averaging around 21 in the city. ran a 16.3 in the 1/4. i just want a little more out of it and it was a free car so it's not like i'd be losing money with it
    Spinning tires in 3rd with a 3100 automatic, sure, maybe if you were driving on ICE

Trying to find the turbo parts from an original ASC/McLaren car would probably cost more than an easy L67 swap...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smaart Aas Saabr View Post
    3.1's are cheap as chips, go to U-pull and get a new one for a c-note if it blows up...

I say put NOS on the ****er! A 100 hp shot should do the trick. Yee haw!

Spinning tires in 3rd with a 3100 automatic, sure, maybe if you were driving on ICE

Trying to find the turbo parts from an original ASC/McLaren car would probably cost more than an easy L67 swap...
    Unless you have a fully equipped garage, with tools, hoists, and the proper braces, the fun goes out of pulling and replacing these engines after a couple of hours. And with a piston hanging out of the block, you don't get core credit.

If you do have the proper setup to do so, the fun goes out of pulling and replacing these engines with the first one. And with 2 out of 3 of those "c note" engines being crap, you'll get a lot of experience.

Depends on if you want to turn wrenches or drive.

Walking
    Thanks

well i'm a mechanic so i would be tearing motor apart and beefin it up. i would just love going to the drag strip and running fast times and people ask what motor is in it and just say "just a 3100"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Unless you have a fully equipped garage, with tools, hoists, and the proper braces, the fun goes out of pulling and replacing these engines after a couple of hours. And with a piston hanging out of the block, you don't get core credit.

If you do have the proper setup to do so, the fun goes out of pulling and replacing these engines with the first one. And with 2 out of 3 of those "c note" engines being crap, you'll get a lot of experience.

Depends on if you want to turn wrenches or drive.
    I've done plenty of driveway / field engine swaps with a set of Craftsman wrenches and a cheap hoist... then again maybe a W-body is a pain to work on but they don't seem too bad, especially a 3100... probably easier to change the engine than to change the damn spark plugs (now that is a sucky job! At least on a 3800)

And of course to build up the bottom end you need to pull the motor / buy another one anyway

We can have fast, reliable and cheap but only two of three, so might as well take the fun while you are young enough to care

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Walking
    Thanks

well i like to make the underdog motors fast. i did the same thing with my 91 buick century with the 3300. it was slow when i got it, maybe topping out a 95, but when i was finished i ws running low 15's in 1/4 and topped it out at 143mph.
    i know it may seem like a waste of time but i like doing that kind of stuff just to show people the potential of these motors.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

what did you do to the 3300?
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

Walking
    Thanks

cold air intake, 23lb/hr injectors, timing adjustment, full header back exhaust system, ported heads, custom competer setup from a 3.8 non turbo from a late 80's buick

Thanks

Engine swap ....
    Rj Arizona
    Shut up and drive.

GM cars
    2007 2.4L ION-3 Sedan
    2006 2.4L Solstice found a new home

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information