My Dream Pontiac Lineup

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: My Dream Pontiac Lineup

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Smile My Dream Pontiac Lineup

There has been some talk here about who "owns" the rights to Pontiac now. Yeah, yeah, I know, old-new, or new-new or new-old GM still owns the name, and probably always will because they don't want someone taking the name and kicking their butt with it. But the reality is we, the loyal Pontiac owners and fans own it. It's ours, and no matter how much the execs at Govt. Motors lied to us(and abandoned us) about their desires for Pontiac, it belongs to us.
    Now, my dream lineup, because it doesn't matter anymore about how outrageous it would be, so I'm shooting for the moon.
    The G8 would have only V-8 engines, no V-6. I would have GT/GTP and GXP trim levels. The GT would come standard with a detuned L76, say with 330hp to try and gain an extra mpg. But it would have the L99 with 400hp as an option with AFM. The GT would offer only the 6A. The GTP would come with the LS7, and make 500hp, with both a 6A and 6M. The GXP would have the LSA with 600hp and either a 6A or 6M(thats right, if I were running GM, the V-Series Caddy's would never be built, this performance level would have gone straight to Pontiac where it belonged all along!!!). And their would be four styles, coupe, sedan, wagon, and sport truck. The wagon and ST would only be in GT trim.
    Next would be the Firebird in Base, Formula, and Trans Am trim. I would have its engine lineup follow the G8 GT/GTP and GXP, except I would substitute the LS9 for the LSA in full Corvette power levels for the Trans Am. The Trans Am in my book would become a true four-seat rival to Corvette. Since both G8 and Firebird would ride on Zeta, I think they would have no problem with all this power.
    Finally, I would still build the beautiful Solstice. It would come in GT/GTP and GXP trim. The GT and GTP would have four cylinder engines with 200hp and 300hp respectively. But I've always wondered if the Solstice could have possibly become a modern day Carroll Shelby AC Cobra, by dropping a V-8 engine into it as a GXP version. I don't know, it might not work, but I bet some "hot-rodder" could make it work. A small-block V-8 with at least 350hp would make the "Carroll Shelby" Solstice a wild ride!!
    So, their is my "dream" lineup. It will never see the light of day, but at least we, the real Pontiac loyalist and owners, can dream about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: My Dream Pontiac Lineup

Love the list and was actually thinking the same thing just the other day. The only thing I would make different is the addition of a car like the old concept Pontiac Rageous. Granted, I might be the only one to think this, but having an updated version of this concept would not only allow for a massive performance beast (also on Zeta if I had my way ) but would also be a true muscle car in wagon form. I feel that would perfectly around out all segment.
    Current Ride:
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Previous Rides:
    2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (Coupe)
    1992 GMC Conversion Van

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by shorod View Post
    The G8 would have only V-8 engines, no V-6. I would have GT/GTP and GXP trim levels. The GT would come standard with a detuned L76, say with 330hp to try and gain an extra mpg. But it would have the L99 with 400hp as an option with AFM. The GT would offer only the 6A. The GTP would come with the LS7, and make 500hp, with both a 6A and 6M. The GXP would have the LSA with 600hp and either a 6A or 6M(thats right, if I were running GM, the V-Series Caddy's would never be built, this performance level would have gone straight to Pontiac where it belonged all along!!!). And their would be four styles, coupe, sedan, wagon, and sport truck. The wagon and ST would only be in GT trim.
    Next would be the Firebird in Base, Formula, and Trans Am trim. I would have its engine lineup follow the G8 GT/GTP and GXP, except I would substitute the LS9 for the LSA in full Corvette power levels for the Trans Am. The Trans Am in my book would become a true four-seat rival to Corvette. Since both G8 and Firebird would ride on Zeta, I think they would have no problem with all this power.
    Finally, I would still build the beautiful Solstice. It would come in GT/GTP and GXP trim. The GT and GTP would have four cylinder engines with 200hp and 300hp respectively. But I've always wondered if the Solstice could have possibly become a modern day Carroll Shelby AC Cobra, by dropping a V-8 engine into it as a GXP version. I don't know, it might not work, but I bet some "hot-rodder" could make it work. A small-block V-8 with at least 350hp would make the "Carroll Shelby" Solstice a wild ride!!
    So, their is my "dream" lineup. It will never see the light of day, but at least we, the real Pontiac loyalist and owners, can dream about it.
    What a pity GM didn't do this forty years ago instead of building station wagons and paying lip-service to the concept of performance. We might have had a viable and competitive domestic high-performance brand instead of an execution.
    -Elliott

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Please, anyone feel free to add(or subtract) from my dream list. There is no right or wrong answers here. As I stated above, we, the owners and loyal fans of Pontiac are now the true owners of this illustrious brand. And by the way, lets take the "Carroll Shelby" Solstice up to 400hp!

Thanks

without getting needlessly complicated: Keep it Niche--4 models all RWD--sport suspensions.
    Brembos standard on top of the line. Traction control and limited slip standard.

Make a facotry offered winter wheel/tire package available--at a low price.

G8 renamed "Tempest"
    LSA goes to GXP get direct injection
    LS3 goes to GT gets AFM and direct injection
    3.8L HF 310HP V6

Bring back Grand AM name on Alpha RWD/AWD

2.4L DI Ecotec
    3.0 260hp V6
    2.8L Turbo 310hp

Trans Am/Formula on larger Alpha--3500lbs 2 dr hatch--no V6
    Formula get standard 365hp DI 5.5L V8 then LS2 and then LSA
    Trans AM gets standard LS3 then LSA.

Different hoods, wheels ect. Less content on Formula.

Solstice--a bit larger Kappa chassis. Coupe w/ Targa or vert More int space/storage and more tunk room

2.4L 210hp DI Ecotec
    2.2L DI Turbo 290hp Ecotec

All get 6 speed auto/manuals with paddles, rev matching and launch control. If the sales can support all the transmissions, that is.

Thanks

Banshee (formerly Solstice, a silly name) powered by the DI 3.6L V6 with 300+ HP
    GTO, a two-door version of the G8 GT and GXP
    LeMans, an updated G8
    Grand Am, a Malibu-based coupe, sedan, and convertible with FWD and DI engines (2.4L I4, 3.0L V6, & 3.6L V6)
    Tempest, a Cruze based coupe and sedan
    Trans Am, a Camaro based coupe powered by a turbo DI 3.6L V6 with 400+ HP
    Buy American. Buy Ford. So say we all!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T'Cal View Post
    Banshee (formerly Solstice, a silly name) powered by the DI 3.6L V6 with 300+ HP
    GTO, a two-door version of the G8 GT and GXP
    LeMans, an updated G8
    Grand Am, a Malibu-based coupe, sedan, and convertible with FWD and DI engines (2.4L I4, 3.0L V6, & 3.6L V6)
    Tempest, a Cruze based coupe and sedan

Trans Am, a Camaro based coupe powered by a turbo DI 3.6L V6 with 400+ HP
    The Banshee should not be a "Solstice-like" car.
    The Banshee should be a direct competitor to the Corvette!!!

The Solstice name is fine & it's a real name unlike G#.
    If you don't like Solstice, then I think "Firefly" would be a good choice.

The Grand Am & Tempest should not be platform-mates or blatant rebadges of Chevy's & thus no FWD models. RWD only w/AWD optional on some models.

!!!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The Solstice, which was great, probably would've done better with more "in your face styling" and a coupe version right from the start. And the G8, like all other Pontiacs, should've had a more traditional Pontiac name too. I can't fault anything on this list though.

They needed one FWD/AWD coupe/sedan/hatch for the masses IMO, and perhaps (just maybe) some sort of bad-ass CUV like that old concept people were talking about a week or so ago around here(only much better).

IMO

Oh, we're talking future. Well, you could scratch the FWD stuff, I suppose. So much depends on where you want to take Pontiac. There's nothing wrong with anyone's suggestions if we're talking the future.
    Last edited by 2648562; 08-16-2009 at 01:33 AM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Archangel's Avatar
    Thanks

Sunfire (coupe) - a rwd sport compact out of a stretched Kappa platform replacing G5
    2.4L Ecotec VVT - 190hp - GT
    2.0L DI Ecotec - 275hp - GTP

Solstice (coupe, roadster)
    2.4L Ecotec VVT - 197hp
    2.0L DI Ecotec - 290hp - GTP

Tempest (coupe, sedan)- rwd replacing G6
    2.4L Ecotec VVT - 195hp
    3.0L LF1 DI V6 - 260hp - GT
    2.8L LP9 V6 Turbo - 295hp - GTP

Grand Prix (coupe, sedan) - rwd replacing G8
    3.6L LY7 V6 - 260hp
    6.2L L76 V8 - 360hp - STE
    6.2L LS3 V8 - 425hp - GTP

Firebird (coupe, convertible) -rwd
    3.6L LLT V6 - 305hp
    6.2L L76 V8 - 375hp - HO
    6.2L LS3 V8 - 426hp - Trans Am
    6.2L LSA V8 - 550hp - Trans Am SD
    "...the current GTA carries on the idea of the first Trans Am proudly and deservedly. It's still the most mature and sophisticated ponycar. It still has character. It still has muscle. And it's still worthy of the name."
    Car Craft, 1991

Thanks

my dream pontiac lineup, is 'a' pontiac lineup.
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 91 s-10baja View Post
    my dream pontiac lineup, is 'a' pontiac lineup.
    Yep...that would be nice.
    My Vehicles:
    2001 Nissan March Bolero
    1998 Toyota Ipsum
    2012 Dodge Grand Caravan - In storage until I return from Okinawa
    1962 Buick Electra 225 - In storage until I return from Okinawa

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information