Interesting "For Sale" Item - "New" 1979 Trans Am

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Interesting "For Sale" Item - "New" 1979 Trans Am

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,314 Posts

Interesting "For Sale" Item - "New" 1979 Trans Am

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2915626078.html

Saw this on craigslist today. I don't know how a "new" car is new for such a long time. 236 miles on the odometer, 6.6 liter engine, t-tops, and factory plastic still on the steering wheel and seats. Screaming eagle on the hood and everything.

Never a big fan of the 2nd generation body, though it's kind of tempting (but not at $55,000).
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Re: Interesting "For Sale" Item - "New" 1979 Trans Am

Back in the day, lots of folks thought these cars, and the 78 Corvette Pace Cars, we're sure to become instant collector cars. It took a lot longer to come to pass, but these are finally worth decent money. They are only original like this once. That said, I suspect that there is an unusual amount of these cars that were put away as an investment -- these, the Vettes and the 'last Cadillac convertible were bought new by many with the thought of selling for a profit down the road. Little did they know the road would be this long!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not "brand new". Been registered, tags on the rear bumper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 711 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Back in the day, lots of folks thought these cars, and the 78 Corvette Pace Cars, we're sure to become instant collector cars. It took a lot longer to come to pass, but these are finally worth decent money. They are only original like this once. That said, I suspect that there is an unusual amount of these cars that were put away as an investment -- these, the Vettes and the 'last Cadillac convertible were bought new by many with the thought of selling for a profit down the road. Little did they know the road would be this long!
    This guy made a poor choice on the model year. That particular model (the snout front end) was the worst looking of all the Firebirds.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,395 Times in 2,497 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Not a fan of the silver either. If he had black, it would generate a sale insanely fast.

Still, a very awesome car.

Thanks

He may be better off trying to sell it through a Barrett-Jackson Auction

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    This guy made a poor choice on the model year. That particular model (the snout front end) was the worst looking of all the Firebirds.

I liked the '77-'78 front end better, with two rectagular headlights on each side, but without the separate housing for each one.

And the color sucks. I hate grays and silvers and the variations of them. Why hell are these colors so popular? So many cars these days have amazingly boring color palettes.

Thanks

If the miles are genuine the sellers price is not totally out of line, these late 2nd gens have been increasing in value over the last several years, this car has alot going for it, its a 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am, one out of 7500, its also a Pontiac engined 400 car with a manual, only 1817 out of the 7500 10th Anniversary cars were manuals, the rest were 403 Oldsmobile engined cars, 1979 was also the last year for the Pontiac 400. A car like this that was never registered with only 6 miles and the window sticker sold for $85,000 at auction.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...lls-for-85000/

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,251 Times in 1,110 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

$55k on Craigslist for this car? It'll be there for a while. It might be best to put it thru an acution house.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    If the miles are genuine the sellers price is not totally out of line, these late 2nd gens have been increasing in value over the last several years, this car has alot going for it, its a 1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am, one out of 7500, its also a Pontiac engined 400 car with a manual, only 1817 out of the 7500 10th Anniversary cars were manuals, the rest were 403 Oldsmobile engined cars, 1979 was also the last year for the Pontiac 400. A car like this that was never registered with only 6 miles and the window sticker sold for $85,000 at auction.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...lls-for-85000/
    Bingo!

I've worked in the collectible automobile market for more than a decade (selling, advising on purchases & sales)... These Anniversary cars, particularly the Pontiac powered models, have finally reached true "collector" status... All it took was for Pontiac to disappear... Sad but true. Pontiacs are up all across the board, with 70's Trans Ams making the biggest jumps as those who were children/teenagers in the 70's have now come of age and are spending their cash on the cars of their youth.

If advertised in more than one space (big money collectors searching on craig's list is hit & miss at best), I could see this particular model (from ksr's post) selling for near the asking price... Of course, that is if the true condition is as advertised.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

It's Pittsburgh. I guarantee there are plenty of gems like this hiding out around here. It's a blue-collar town, and these are the types of "toys" people bought in the hey-day of muscle and soot-filled skies.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Wow, that is a very nice car. I do not see it being worth $55k though.

I actually think it looks pretty good in Silver.
    Previous Rides:

2005 Pontiac Sunfire 1SV 2.2L Ecotec- 5M and 27 avg mpg in combined driving!
    1995 Chevrolet S10 Extended Cab 4.3L V6- 5M
    1988 Ford Mustang SSP (X-FHP) 5.0L V8- 5M
    1965 Ford Mustang Coupe 289-2V- 3A
    1968 Ford Mustang Coupe 289-2V- 3A

Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmmm.... $55k for that or a new ZL1.....Hmmmmmm

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements