GM Inside News Forum banner

I wonder why...

4K views 42 replies 19 participants last post by  Aprime 
#1 ·
As you well know, Pontiac's image is being revamped, the days of the utilitarian vehicles and Chevy ports are finally coming to an end... With one exception, the oddball Vibe.

Now, as you probably know, the Vibe is a small, utilitarian vehicle good looks engineered by Toyota, so I thought...

Wouldn't the Vibe make more sense as a GMC vehicle? Most Pontiac dealers are also selling GMCs and Buicks, correct? So that gets rid of the dealer issue. Would it hurt GMC's image? No, it's a utility vehicle, and GMC (see: Acadia, Terrain) is no longer about only pumping out body-on-frame vehicles and rebadged Chevy pickups. Would it augment sales? Certainly, the reason the Vibe didn't become a Chevrolet was that Chevy already had a pretty large portfolio, but you'd be led to think that it would fare better as a Chevy, right? Well, it would fare just a nicely as a GMC, as both brand's images are ranking high (as opposed to Pontiac) in the eyes of the American public.

So, what do you think? I mean, GMC could certainly use a small and efficient utility vehicle.

#3 ·
Strong sporty theme? Yeah, but nobody falls for it. It's the known as a nice-looking family vehicle in Canada (where it actually sells in high numbers). I didn't suggest simply rebadging the thing. :p It now falls into the compact crossover category, along withthe Suzuki SX-4 or the Compass/Caliber. It's a marketing thing and it would suit GMC better, in my opinion.

#4 ·
What makes the Vibe sporty? The base G5? I actually think that it should live out this generation as a Pontiac, and then when the reborn Pontiac is up and running, GM should ditch Toyota and build a Vibe-like vehicle on Delta II for Buick. I can see it now, a mini-Enclave. And in doing a vehicle like this, it allows Saturn and Chevy to have similar but not nearly identical vehicles.

#7 ·
The Vibe, while offering lots of cargo space, is in no way a truck or suv, it does not fit in w/ GMC. What it is, is a small and fun to drive 5-door, it is not a sports car but it has a sporty image(in GT trim), and promotes a sporty lifestyle w/ its versatility. IMO it fits better than any other car in Pontiacs line-up besides the Solstice and G8.

#8 ·
It still falls into the Crossover/Utility category under the new marketing, that alone makes it fit for GMC to me. It doesn't matter if it's not nearly as capable as their other utes.

I mean, just looking at the ads on autos.msn or any other site, they're taking on the Chrysler triplets with it, wouldn't it make a ton more sense to have it be branded as a GMC if that's the case?

I just got to see one in person earlier today, it's a bit disappointing, the interior isn't exactly cohesive and the plastics were hard, but nicely textured to take away the cheap feel.

#9 ·
Aprime, the Vibe probably could work as a GMC product. But its current sporty theme, which some of the lesser developed creatures here fail to realize, might make it a tad out of place in GMC's rather conservative lineup.

And considering that Pontiac is all but for certain a dead brand, we'll likely see the next-generation Vibe toned down a bit and offered as a GMC, just as the Torrent is being replaced by a GMC product. So just wait a few years and you'll probably see a GMC Vibe-like product!

And you're right, nobody buys the "sporty" theme. Nobody buys the idea that ANY Pontiac is sporty. Because Pontiacs aren't sporty. Pontiac's sporty image is pure marketing shtick, just like GMC's "Professional Grade" hogwash. I think GM realizes nobody is buying the Pontiac=sporty line of crap, and since it's all but impossible to create a new image for Pontiac, it's likely that GM will simply drop the brand within the next five years.

It's a shame, because while Pontiacs were never really sporty cars, they were quite often GM's best-looking products. GM had the chance to rebuild Pontiac's image twenty years ago, but continued to pander to domestic loyalists instead of paying attention to marketing trends. Pontiac had a very realistic chance of becoming a "bargain-Beemer" years ago, but GM failed to capitalize on the Pontiac=sporty idea before the public simply got tired of hearing the shtick and forgot about the brand altogether.

I've got a soft spot for Pontiac, but it's based on those beautiful 1960s-era Parisiennes, Tempests and long-hooded Grand Prix's that roamed the roads of my childhood. Pontiac hasn't made a single appealing product since that time. I'd love to see Pontiac reborn, not as some 70s disco-ball Smokey & The Bandit brand, but as affordable cars with sharp performance and BMW-like handling prowess, not spoilers, and vulgar nostrils in the hood.

But Pontiac is beyond damaged... it's toast.

#10 ·
I love the new Vibe, but for where I live, the only option I would consider would be the Vibe AWD, and let's face it: 20/26 for a four cylinder is downright pathetic. You can get a small CUV that gets that or more. That, and you're stuck with a 4 speed automatic. The Matrix AWD is no better.

Still, I admire how good looking the Vibe GT is. Damn, that is one sexy vehicle.

Too bad the interiors of both cars look like crap.

#14 · (Edited)
I love the new Vibe, but for where I live, the only option I would consider would be the Vibe AWD, and let's face it: 20/26 for a four cylinder is downright pathetic. You can get a small CUV that gets that or more. That, and you're stuck with a 4 speed automatic. The Matrix AWD is no better.

Still, I admire how good looking the Vibe GT is. Damn, that is one sexy vehicle.

Too bad the interiors of both cars look like crap.

No offense, but last time i checked the websites(toyota and pontiac) they were 5-speed autos on the AWD and 2.4L.

#13 ·
I agree that its damaged, but don't see why GM isn't moving along with Pontiac. What are they working on now? The GMT-900's are done, Zeta is on its way, Epsilon II should be ready anytime, the big stuff is done. Lets get Alpha going. That platform alone can be home to the Solstice/Sky/G5 replacement/G6 replacement/Cadillac ATS or whatever they choose to call it/Saab 9-1. This platform inserts a tremendous amount of "excitement" (i guess) into each of these brands.

#23 · (Edited)
[/quote] so all that's left is the Firebird. This is appealing ONLY if you go for that sort of car, which I don't. With all due respect it's a tasteless, vulgar car almost invisible outside of working-class neighborhoods. [/quote]

That's quite the statment right there--it says so much about who you are. I drive a Firebird and well I am not a vulgar *******. I just happen to like F-body's. I agree if you are outside of the working class--then yes an f-body won't appeal to you as you need to impress (or really one up) the people in your circle. It's the I am better then you syndrome becuase I drive X and you drive Y. And I guess if you are outside of the working class you probably have nothing better to do with your time anyway.

Funny how so many people fall into that trap.

By the way, woudn't the Vibe be better fit in Saturn's lineup?

#25 ·
GMC-70 said:
That's quite the statment right there--it says so much about who you are. I drive a Firebird and well I am not a vulgar *******. I just happen to like F-body's. I agree if you are outside of the working class--then yes an f-body won't appeal to you as you need to impress (or really one up) the people in your circle. It's the I am better then you syndrome becuase I drive X and you drive Y. And I guess if you are outside of the working class you probably have nothing better to do with your time anyway.
Please don't misunderstand me. I do NOT make estimations of people's character based on the car they drive. Nor do I want it to appear that I feel one class of people is superior to another. I don't see society vertically, I see it horizontally. While I personally find Trans Ams, Z28s et.al. tacky, it's my view of the car, not automatically of their owners.

But people from different social backgrounds have different tastes, and unless you're a sociopath, you're going to conform somewhat to the expectations that are set by your place in society. I find most owners of TransAms and such drive them for no reason than to impress their friends, just the same way the latté-sipping Yuppie sinks himself into unholy debt to drive a flash car to impress his friends. And of course there are exceptions. I drive a BMW, but I love it for what it is as a car, not because of its image, and I hate being associated with those tossers who drive a "Beemer" to show off. And because of that I don't automatically make assumptions about a guy because of his car.

I poke just as much fun at my pretentious white-collar snob friends for their conspicuous Range Rovers as I do the blue-collar guy for showing off his latest T-topped pride and joy. But it's more poking fun than it is an attack on one's character. So even though I may deride your choice of cars, don't take it personally, that doesn't mean I don't think you're probably a great guy. If I got mad at every BMW remark I saw in here.... :D

GMC-70 said:
By the way, woudn't the Vibe be better fit in Saturn's lineup?
I've often wondered this too. But sometimes I'm too anal and feel Saturn should be strictly Opels...

#27 ·
Please don't misunderstand me. I do NOT make estimations of people's character based on the car they drive. Nor do I want it to appear that I feel one class of people is superior to another. I don't see society vertically, I see it horizontally. While I personally find Trans Ams, Z28s et.al. tacky, it's my view of the car, not automatically of their owners.

But people from different social backgrounds have different tastes, and unless you're a sociopath, you're going to conform somewhat to the expectations that are set by your place in society. I find most owners of TransAms and such drive them for no reason than to impress their friends, just the same way the latté-sipping Yuppie sinks himself into unholy debt to drive a flash car to impress his friends. And of course there are exceptions. I drive a BMW, but I love it for what it is as a car, not because of its image, and I hate being associated with those tossers who drive a "Beemer" to show off. And because of that I don't automatically make assumptions about a guy because of his car.

I poke just as much fun at my pretentious white-collar snob friends for their conspicuous Range Rovers as I do the blue-collar guy for showing off his latest T-topped pride and joy. But it's more poking fun than it is an attack on one's character. So even though I may deride your choice of cars, don't take it personally, that doesn't mean I don't think you're probably a great guy. If I got mad at every BMW remark I saw in here.... :D

I've often wondered this too. But sometimes I'm too anal and feel Saturn should be strictly Opels...
Completley understood and you make some excellent points! Personally I am not a big fan of the add-on spoliers hood scoops etc. Thats why I chose the toned down appearance of the Firebird Formula---its got all the bite without the bark :)

Anyway, I understand that people have different views. Its just annoying when stereotypes take precedence. That goes for everything in life. Me--I have nobody to impress but myself. If I wanted to impress people I wouldnt have an Uplander in my garage :D But it takes care of our needs.

#31 ·
so all that's left is the Firebird. This is appealing ONLY if you go for that sort of car, which I don't. With all due respect it's a tasteless, vulgar car almost invisible outside of working-class neighborhoods. [/quote]

Funny how so many people fall into that trap.

By the way, woudn't the Vibe be better fit in Saturn's lineup?[/quote]

I've thought this for years now. Either move it to Saturn...or better yet dump it totally:yup:

#33 ·
Aprime, all I can say is if I were Lutz the current vibe would be a Chevy and the name Vibe would be fitted to a Mini fighter. Cheaper but better. Pontiac should be the proformence brand but their offerings should all be smaller and differnt than their Chevy counterparts

#40 ·
To be honest, I do belive that the Vibe or a Vibe like vehicle is perfect for Pontiac. Years ago, before GM made the choice to stick Astra as a Saturn, I thought that a compact 3 and 5 door hatch should be brought to Pontiac. I think that a Vibe, done right, would be a great car for Pontiac and its sporty image.
Now we can sit here all day and talk about how Pontiac isnt very sporty anymore, and Id say thats true for the most part. Pontiac was merged back in the 80's that it would be a fancy Chevy, and a full line dealer. Minivans, SUV's, and massive sedans were the order of the day. Thats when GM failed Pontiac.
But we cannot change the past, only the future. So we move foward from here, and we have a sporty compact people hauler. If the steering is fun, the ride is nice, the performance is on key, then this would be at home in Pontiac. I only wish this was a Delta II car and not a Gen X Corolla platform. I wish there was an Ecotec not a 1.8/2.4 toyota combo under hood.
If the Vibe can outdo sporty 5 door compacts like the Mazda 3, VW Golf/Rabbit, Astra XR 5dr, and dare i say Caliber RT, then I say its welcome to Pontiac. The G5 is just......ugh.

#43 ·
Actually, I'm quite tempted by the new one (have yet to drive it, however), but I still fail to see how a Corolla can fit Pontiac's new image.

I mean, it is CAR but it's not the kind you'd expect.

But meh, now that the ute was confirmed, I guess my 'utility argument' doesn't really stand anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.