How to rename the lineup

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to rename the lineup

Thanks

How to rename the lineup

I know a lot of you (including me) dislike the alphanumeric names Pontiac uses today,and after reading a thread on this forum about the naming contest for the new G8 ute, I asked myself why doesn't Pontiac do the same thing to the rest of the lineup. If GM executives insist that the Grand Am, Bonneville, Grand Prix, Sunfire, Sunbird & Phoenix nameplates carry a lot of baggage, then perhaps some older nameplates can be used or a competition can be started to come up with a new name. So far i came up with these ideas:

G8- Tempest. It's a cool name and has history. If a coupe ever comes out with a V8 then the GTO name could be revived

G6- Ventura??? Another historic name that was once used on a cool fullsize car but in the 70's it was used for a rebadged Chevy Nova. Don't know if it fits the G6 (or the future rwd G6)

G5-??? couldn't come up with nothing nice. Pontiac had the Astre, Sunbird & Sunfire and none of these nameplates sound good to me

I would like to hear some of your ideas for names for the current lineup

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: How to rename the lineup

When I think "Tempest", I think poor man's GTO.
    When I think "Ventura" I think Nova with a silly vinyl top.

Your idea is good though....Pontiac should find some real names instead of copying the Japanese and Germans with alpha numerics.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Thanks

The problem is that all of the old Pontiac names recall images of land yachts. The only names halfway usable are LeMans, GTO, and Firebird.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkennedy293 View Post
    The problem is that all of the old Pontiac names recall images of land yachts. The only names halfway usable are LeMans, GTO, and Firebird.
    I love this GM fanboy site! Who cares what old Pontiac names from the 60's and beyond conjure up to YOU guys. I'd say 95% of people out there have no idea of Pontiac's storied history and therefore would never know that "Tempest" was an old name. I'm 36 and my idea of Pontiac is crappy, plastic-paneled Grand Ams and Bonnevilles, bloated white-trash Firebirds, the ugliest-car-ever-created Aztec, and those awful moon vans. LeMans? No way! I remember that from the 80's as some rebadged sh*tbox from Korea.

You guys need to realize that Pontiac means nothing but crap to most people. My generation grew up on Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans because most of them, like me, had been burned by poorly designed and built American cars.

I think using names from Pontiac's glory days is a great idea: Tempest sounds cool as hell. That names conjures up SOMETHING....mean, fierce, fast. G8, G6, G5 don't do a damn thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Get_ A_Clue View Post
    I love this GM fanboy site! Who cares what old Pontiac names from the 60's and beyond conjure up to YOU guys. I'd say 95% of people out there have no idea of Pontiac's storied history and therefore would never know that "Tempest" was an old name.
    I agree with you. Younger buyers do not have much if any historical connection to Pontiac's older nameplates. I think Catalina, Parisienne and Ventura are strong names that would work very well. I also think GM is crazy to dump names like Grand Prix that have such a strong and (mostly) positive recognition. I know the idea is to enhance the brand name and downplay the model names but in doing so they have to re-educate the public on what the new models are.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,369 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Grand Prix was a good name, I'll never understand why they scrapped it. Grand Am was starting to get old with a bad rep. GTO is still good, Tempest is good, Firebird is still kickassical.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

[QUOTE=Get_ A_Clue;1442862]I'm 36 and my idea of Pontiac is crappy, plastic-paneled Grand Ams and Bonnevilles, bloated white-trash Firebirds, the ugliest-car-ever-created Aztec, and those awful moon vans. LeMans? No way! I remember that from the 80's as some rebadged sh*tbox from Korea. QUOTE]

Pretty much my exact impression as well.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never liked Tempest. It sounds very ho-hum and boring to me. The best names for Pontiac are Solstice, Firebird-T/A, GTO, Grand Prix, Bonneville (classy sounding!), and even Sunfire. All of these names bring out some kind of passion whereas the G-names do NOTHING.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

G's conjure up;

G's up, ho's down
    G-string
    G-spot
    G-rated
    G-ee whiz Wally! (shameless Leave It To Beaver reference)
    Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Get_ A_Clue View Post
    I love this GM fanboy site! Who cares what old Pontiac names from the 60's and beyond conjure up to YOU guys. I'd say 95% of people out there have no idea of Pontiac's storied history and therefore would never know that "Tempest" was an old name. I'm 36 and my idea of Pontiac is crappy, plastic-paneled Grand Ams and Bonnevilles, bloated white-trash Firebirds, the ugliest-car-ever-created Aztec, and those awful moon vans. LeMans? No way! I remember that from the 80's as some rebadged sh*tbox from Korea.

You guys need to realize that Pontiac means nothing but crap to most people. My generation grew up on Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans because most of them, like me, had been burned by poorly designed and built American cars.

I think using names from Pontiac's glory days is a great idea: Tempest sounds cool as hell. That names conjures up SOMETHING....mean, fierce, fast. G8, G6, G5 don't do a damn thing.
    I'm 27 and I know what your talking about and agree with a lot of what you say. I like Tempest and it would fit the g8 nicely. I don't remember the Ventura and thought it could fit the G6 since they were both compact cars. However I'm not against using some of the so-called damaged nameplates like Grand Am. It was a popular product for GM in it's time but they neglected the car and replaced it with the bland G6 (which a lot of people still refer to as a Grand Am). If Chevy can make Malibu work for them despite it's previous unlikable past image,then maybe Pontiac can do the same for Grand Am. A lot of money was wasted in promoting this nameplate....why throw it all away and alienate the loyal buyers. Of course they can try and come up with a new name,but I doubt they can come up with something good,because most new names sound ridiculous...but they can try.
    When the Civic came out most people laughed at it until the first oil crises came. They stopped laughing but the car was still considered a POS econobox,but that didn't discourage Honda to drop the name. Honda built it's image through the years with a good car that improved every generation and now has a name with equity and a loyal buyer base. GM should learn from this example.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Thanks

I prefer the old storied Pontiac names, but a viable case can be made for alpha-numerics as well. However, I do not think the 'G' rated Pontiacs carries the brand appropriately.

What is missing is the sporty image. Simply put GT fits that image. Therefore just rename the range as follows:

Compact: Pontiac GT4
    Midsize: Pontiac GT6
    Full Size: Pontiac GT8

Rename the Solstice as the Pontiac GTC
    Re-up the Pontiac GTO puh-lease!
    And include the new Pontiac GTP sport ute pick-up
    Rename the Torrent as the Pontiac GTX crossover
    Rename the Vibe as the Pontiac GTR crossover

The new XYZ generation should have no problem with that, and the old fogeys who still live in the past can probably relate to it much easier.

Last edited by jamiepeterson2; 07-02-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

Isn't GTX and GTC used for certain version of the Opel Astra???

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

I'd just like to point out that I'm only 32 myself. But we were pretty poor growing up....in the 80's all of our cars were 60's models! I related, noticed, and understood those older nameplates better than most folks my age.
    Hidden Content

Thanks

The Ventura of the 1960's was a full size car. I'd love to have a 1961 Ventura 2dr hardtop. It had clean lines and great performance.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

GT6 was a Triumph.
    Is Pontiac a tribe name or a chief's name. If so see what that may bring. I suspect "Sitting Bull" would not be popular though LOL. I seeem to remeber Ute being a tribe name too.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information