Hemmings find of the day: 1974 Grand Am

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemmings find of the day: 1974 Grand Am

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 861 Posts

Hemmings find of the day: 1974 Grand Am

some nice pics of a 1974 Grand Am at Hemmings blog
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...tiac-grand-am/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hemmings find of the day: 1974 Grand Am

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    some nice pics of a 1974 Grand Am at Hemmings blog
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...tiac-grand-am/
    Thanks! I'd completely forgotten how long the Grand Am had been around, and its sporty beginnings.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice car.

I wouldn't have put the vinyl top back on, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Colorado Crew Z71 4x4

I thought they only came with the half (landau) vinyl when new?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Colorado Crew 4x4 Z71

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Cool car! My uncle had one that was triple black...minus the 4-speed of course. I always liked this car.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Thanks

Most were minus the 4 speed, it is super rare, even rarer is a Grand Am sedan with the 4 speed, I think they made 7 of them or so. The Grand Am was supposed to be the GTO, but the game plan was changed and the GTO just became a LeMans sport coupe with NACA ducts in the hood. Did you know that the awesome 455-SD was supposed to be an option for the Grand Am, Grand Prix and GTO, but it was restricted to only the F-body at the last minute.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,503 Times in 861 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Most were minus the 4 speed, it is super rare, even rarer is a Grand Am sedan with the 4 speed, I think they made 7 of them or so. The Grand Am was supposed to be the GTO, but the game plan was changed and the GTO just became a LeMans sport coupe with NACA ducts in the hood. Did you know that the awesome 455-SD was supposed to be an option for the Grand Am, Grand Prix and GTO, but it was restricted to only the F-body at the last minute.
    We can wonder what if they decided to not change the game plan and the GTO was launched as the way it should had been for 1973?

Thanks

We can wonder what if they decided to not change the game plan and the GTO was launched as the way it should had been for 1973?
    I'm kind of glad the GTO went out when it did, even though Pontiac was one of the few manufacturers that kept the performance flame lit, I would have hated to see the GTO become a shell of its former self "paint and wheel" package like the 442 and Road Runner became by the end of the 70's.

Thanks

I liked the 1978-80 versions of the Grand Am too. Real neat cars. By 1980 only a coupe was offered with one engine and transmission choice consisting of the W72 301 4BBL 170 HP V8 and THM 350 automatic transmission with firmer shifting valve body. The second oil crises of 79-80 and slower sales pulled the plug on this gem because for the 1981 model year the top V8 options were reduced to the 105 HP 5.7 diesel and Pontiacs 120 HP 4.3 2 BBL V8, neither of which were suitable for a sporty Grand Am. Before the crisis word was that Pontiac was going to install there 210 HP 301 turbo in the Grand Am and Grand Prix SJ models but nothing ever came of that because some bean counter at GM decided that Pontiac didn't need it's own V8 engine. Tech 4's were ok though!
    Last edited by ponchoman49; 02-25-2010 at 10:44 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by ponchoman49 View Post
    I liked the 1978-80 versions of the Grand Am too. Real neat cars. By 1980 only a coupe was offered with one engine and transmission choice consisting of the W72 301 4BBL 170 HP V8 and THM 350 automatic transmission with firmer shifting valve body. The second oil crises of 79-80 and slower sales pulled the plug on this gem because for the 1981 model year the top V8 options were reduced to the 105 HP 5.7 diesel and Pontiacs 120 HP 4.3 2 BBL V8, neither of which were suitable for a sporty Grand Am. Before the crisis word was that Pontiac was going to install there 210 HP 301 turbo in the Grand Am and Grand Prix SJ models but nothing ever came of that because some bean counter at GM decided that Pontiac didn't need it's own V8 engine. Tech 4's were ok though!
    The Pontiac 265/301 also died because the factory needed more capacity to build "Iron Duke" units for the '82 F- and A-cars!

Those '78-'80 Grand Ams were pretty cool. Funny how people blast Detroit for not producing anything to match the imports (I used to have a Swedish road test of a '74 Grand Am that loved the car), yet when Detroit did make something Euroesque... nobody bought them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    Hmmmm..... really ....... well, w/o looking I risk some serious error but......'thought the Gran Am at least did, in small numbers go out the door with an SD 455.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

You could have still opted for a regular 455 in the Grand Am, but no SD.

As far as I know there were 3 engineering cars made that were lent out to magazines for road tests, then they wer either re-engined to destroyed, there is a rummor that one was bought by a Pontiac exec, but it is also missing. There are a few people that made their own SD-455 Grand Ams.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

I know you know your stuff so I guess that must of been it - I could almost swear that I ran into one or two on the street - and the one more than once..... friend of a friend of a friend kinda' thing.

Oh well....

I also thought some GTOs made it ????? - although this I never saw - or thought I saw in a personal sense.

I'll say one other thing.

That bit that is out there about the better cam not making it out the door - for damn sure that ain't what I remember.

_______

You know seriously, I've had two major and one minor Mopar, one AMC, and one Ford that technically were not factory built and yet appeared they were.

Saw a few more Ford's than that also.

One of my three Pontiac buds also had an early GTO that did not make sense on paper either...

( The one Mopar drove me and some others nuts on two occasions tryin' to chase down some things and then some 'oem' parts. Then one day ..... somebody stopped me somewhere and clued me in - previous owner & he wanted it 'back.' It was in fact, factory built. )

That '73 / '74 period - certain kinds of records became.... somewhat sketchy.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 02-25-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    I also thought some GTOs made it ????? - although this I never saw - or thought I saw in a personal sense.
    CARS magazine famously named the 1973 GTO their "performance car of the year":
    http://www.abodysite.com/73sd455lit.html

but none were ever made for public consumption. But that could be what you remember?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

What's that thing under the dash, on the passenger side...? Looks like some sort of grilled-cheese maker.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information