Guess what this '78 T/A sold for today!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess what this '78 T/A sold for today!

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,255 Posts

Guess what this '78 T/A sold for today!

So, my Camaro Club gets hired by Mecum to drive all of the cars when they do their auctions in Chicago. After dropping off a '51 Chevy pickup in the sold lot, next in line for me was a '78 Trans Am. I didn't really get a good look at it, I just hopped in, but it looked like a really nice 2nd gen T/A with nice paint. Anyway, there was some goof up, (my fault ) in the order of the cars, so I ended up driving it back and forth for about an hour. The owner joked that I had driven his car more than he had. It gave me a chance to really appreciate what a nice car it was. It was a Y82, T/A 6.6 4 speed. It had 150,000 miles on it but was restored to an extremely high level. The owner, BTW, is a car restorer. I asked him how much he wanted to get out of it. He said that the reserve was $60K but he wouldn't take a penny under $54K. I thought to myself....umm, good luck with that, bro.

Anyhoozit, people were all over this car as I was driving up. It went up to $35K in a second. Several seconds later $45K, then $55K. It finally sold for $68,000. Incredible!

Here's more info on it:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=&startRow=161
    Last edited by Z284ever; 10-12-2013 at 01:08 AM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Tracker

Re: Guess what this '78 T/A sold for today!

The TA was one of the best looking cars of the 70s!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,980 Times in 3,999 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I love that style, very aggressive and cohesive! Also has aged extremely well! I assume that the value/collectibility of this generation is somewhat hurt by the low hp due to the fuel crunch of that era (though this article certainly runs counter to my thinking); though I suspect the style will overcome the low hp for many!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

A normal condition one will sell for $6 800 and one with the correct chalk mark on the firewall sells $68 000 ??!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Nothing "normal" about the condition of this one

Thanks

Auction prices and reality prices are un-related. That was too much for this car, they are nice cars, I have one, but I don't think any of them are worth that much yet, its not really that old and they made lots of 77-79 Trans Ams, they probably are the most produced Trans Am's of all time.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Way too much, but hey...if the guy who bought it wants to play Smokey and the Bandit, who am I to argue?
    In my garage:

2006 Pontiac GTO
    2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT
    2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 711 Posts

While the power, handling, braking (drum brakes!) and so many other things were superceded by way better cars since then, the car's styling has stood the test of time (still popular) in spite of it's over-the-top (some might say gaudy) look. And with the iconic status given this model by the Smokey and the Bandit movies, there is some attending value to it. Add in that this isn't just a "clean" version, it has been restored to look like it is brand new, with zero miles. A fine restoration job.

Not worth that much to ME, but I can see some people would pay it, and somebody did.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

Thanks

One thing I'd want to mention is that this car was well VERY sorted out. Not all of these auction cars are. Earlier in the day I drove a '65 Mustang, 4 speed, 289, coupe. The car looked mint, with fresh paint and redone interior. But mechanically, it wasn't sorted out at all. It was very cold blooded when you started it, until it warmed up it wanted to die and really never ran smoothly and after 10-15 minutes was beginning to run hot. By the time I shifted it a few times and parked it in the sold lot, the shifter bezel came loose. The windows were virtually impossible to roll up. You get the idea. This was your typical auction car. A cherry 5 footer, spruced up for sale with little effort elsewhere. You also have to understand that typically it might take maybe 20 minutes from the time the driver picks up the car until you reach the auction block. As you are working your way up the line, prospective bidders are opening and closing hoods, doors, etc, and asking the driver what they think of the car. Personally, I'm as honest and informative as I can be when asked. Anyway, this very nice looking Mustang went for $18K.

Same thing was going on with the Trans Am. And when asked, told all the prospective bidders that this was a fantastically sorted car. Did that make a difference in the bidding? Who know. Personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on it. But bidders were fighting over it.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 10-14-2013 at 10:57 AM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Smaart Aas Saabr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainDan View Post
    While the power, handling, braking (drum brakes!) and so many other things were superceded by way better cars since then, the car's styling has stood the test of time (still popular) in spite of it's over-the-top (some might say gaudy) look. And with the iconic status given this model by the Smokey and the Bandit movies, there is some attending value to it. Add in that this isn't just a "clean" version, it has been restored to look like it is brand new, with zero miles. A fine restoration job.

Not worth that much to ME, but I can see some people would pay it, and somebody did.
    Hey, I didn't even notice! It doesn't even have the 4 wheel discs! (or was that in '79?)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Thanks

Hey, I didn't even notice! It doesn't even have the 4 wheel discs! (or was that in '79?)
    4 wheel discs were available as part of the WS6 package for 1978, there was a shortage of rear discs, I think because the Seville went to 4 wheel discs at the same time, I believe, and some cars were made with the WS6 suspension, but no rear discs, this car though doesn't look like it has the thicker rear sway bar that WS6 cars have, so I don't know what the story is on it.

Thanks

Here's some info on the Y82 Special Edition: http://www.78ta.com/special.htm

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

I had a 79 Trans Am with the WS6 package. I bought it in 1980 with 6000 miles at a Ford dealer who took it in on trade. I went in to look at the Mustangs. I think I paid $8500.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

Unbelievable price what was the provenance? Did the owner history add to the value? 150,000 mile car for 68K what is "the rest of the story"?

I see the extra value int eh Pontiac 400 4 speed but that is remarkable price for a well done car, but still sky high price.
    Last edited by Jim Injun Ear; 10-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks

Hemmings Muscle Machines mag covers the auctions in the back pages and the editors rate the cars (1-4 or is it 5?) and give their thoughts on the sales price. I almost purchased one in 79 (same black with the eagle trim) but made a big mistake and bought the pos Sunbird instead. Being in the family way, I thought we would need a smaller car with a hatch. I still have the sales bill of $6600. In retrospect, it was not a standout vehicle; but then, in 79, what was? It had nice lines though.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information