GM Campaign on front suspension, lower control arm boots

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Campaign on front suspension, lower control arm boots

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

GM Campaign on front suspension, lower control arm boots

Interestingly enough I just got a letter asking me to get the front suspension repaired under what looks like a recall, but probably is more like a "customer satisfaction campaign".

I talked to the dealer and they got a huge shipment of parts for this, so they can deal with the G8s that are affected. Here's the first paragraph.

We have learned that your 2009 model year Pontiac G8 may have a condition that we would like to repair before the extreme cold temperatures arrive. The sealing boots on the front suspension lower control arm ball joints may not seal correctly in extreme cold temperatures. The material of the boot may become rigid in cold temperatures and could allow contaminants to enter the boot. This could cause premature wear of the ball joint, which could result in a clunking or rattling noise when the vehicle is driven over rough roads, wheels out of alignment, and/or premature tire wear.

Of note is that this will be done at no charge only until Nov. 1st, 2009. So they really want those G8s in and fixed. I guess they finally found the problem with the clunking suspensions. And I guess "cold weather testing" in Australia didn't cut it .

This was from GM Canada. I wonder if a similar campaign is happening in the US? I hope this addresses some of the folks who had problems with their G8's front suspensions.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Re: GM Campaign on front suspension, lower control arm boots

Have not got that in Alabama yet? Not sure if I will either based on climate.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    Have not got that in Alabama yet? Not sure if I will either based on climate.
    You think they would do it. It's not like you couldn't decide to go on a skiiing trip up to New York State or go for some ice fishing in Minnesota. They might be starting up here and moving south as they get the parts.

The tech on the phone was funny: "Woah. They shipped a lot of parts. This new GM is awesome. No waiting for parts and explaining the delay to customers!" He was gobsmacked.

It's a 3.5 hour repair, so I'm figuring they're replacing the suspension pretty much. I'll ask when I go there early next week.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Thanks

There's also talk that a recall on the lower control arms is coming too. GM should be putting out something shortly.

Lots of G8s have been having lots of trouble with the ball joints.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,696 Times in 4,154 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Holy schmoley.

Gotta love those Chinese parts.

They're Australian?

Gotta love those hot-weather parts!!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T-Type View Post
    Lots of G8s have been having lots of trouble with the ball joints.
    That's the one drawback of casting the ball joint into the control arm.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    That's the one drawback of casting the ball joint into the control arm.
    Oh my. One less part number for GM to worry about. One more headache for the future owners down the road when stuff starts wearing out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tom3 View Post
    Oh my. One less part number for GM to worry about. One more headache for the future owners down the road when stuff starts wearing out.
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure the suspension design on the front of the G8's is the same as the Camaro, meaning it has two ball joints on each of the front corners. There's no easy way to install a pair of ball joints and make them removable in a setup like this. However, they either need to make them more durable or find a creative solution.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Large scale, constant problem, much discussed and aggravating owners for some time. Like the strut bushings, only more so, causes a variety of front end issues from noises to shaking...and SO many have run into it. Some more than once.

It's a weird one, again because the home market Oz cars have had nothing appreciable happen despite using exactly the same parts down to the bone, and GM's only explanation thus far has been the cold & moisture. No letter yet here in Delaware and no front end noises after 11k miles here in Delaware, but weird shakes, and given that others including Jersey have been notified, I hope to see something soon.

Then we'll see how things go after all of these are inspected/replaced with parts that don't seem much or any different than those coming off.

Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure the suspension design on the front of the G8's is the same as the Camaro, meaning it has two ball joints on each of the front corners. There's no easy way to install a pair of ball joints and make them removable in a setup like this. However, they either need to make them more durable or find a creative solution.
    Home market Oz cars have had no such big scale occurrence of such an issue, despite identical parts and not nice roads, but also a lack of our winters. The Camaro has a lot of bits and designs that are unique, hence the essentially Zeta II, front end included--the jury is still out on what may crop up with that car, if anything. So far I've only read of front end clunks->strut bushings, on a few via forums.
    Last edited by caddycruiser; 11-03-2009 at 11:23 PM.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Walking
    Thanks

My G8 is causing lots of problems this is the 3rd time I have to take it in to get the lower control arms replaced. getting sick of it. Nice car but lots of problems. Also the belt tensioner pulley had to be replace twice.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Screw991le's Avatar
    Thanks

Had mine replaced, Will be using BMRs after these fail again out of warranty. Since GM KNOWS there is a problem, but does not care enough to do anything about it, but fix it, then you are SOL after the 3/36. BS!!!
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    2011 Chevy Traverse LTZ

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information