G8 Purchase Question

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G8 Purchase Question

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,111 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

G8 Purchase Question

I'm seriously considering purchasing a low mileage G8 GT in the next few months (I can't wait till 2013/14 for a possible civilian Caprice), but have a slight dilemma.

The next car I get, will be my daily driver, and currently I'm averaging 80+ miles daily. Which means I will really rack up the miles quickly.

Should I care about the future collectability of the car?
    (I don't want to leave GM and buy a Charger)

Or just just enjoy myself over the next 5-6 years.
    (If I had a garage, and the funds, I'd store one away for the next 30 years)

I know this may seem like a petty question, but just curious about other peoples opinions.
    Last edited by EJD1984; 11-07-2011 at 02:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Re: G8 Purchase Question

Buy two - stick one in the garage ...

I doubt they will become collectable enough in your time horizon to worry. Enjoy one now.

Don't forget, they were not designed to be collected. My pre-VE COmmodores both have over 130,000 miles on the clock and go like clockwork with no more than regular servicing.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Thanks

Just buy it and enjoy.

Red Hot Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Buy one. It will be a long time before the G8 becomes a collectable so why not enjoy it now?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    (I can't wait till 2013/14 for a possible civilian Caprice)
    Suit yourself, but it is confirmed with a May 2013 launch, so you didn't have to say "possible" italics and all.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SeetheUSA's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Dodge Durango

Go for one now and enjoy the heck out of it!!
    Get used to more.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Enjoy it now. As others have stated, it won't be collectable for decades still. And even then, you're hoping it strikes a chord with purchasers decades from now because of a sentiment or some other reason.

If you can, see if you can find a GXP. That'd be what I'd do if I were in the market for a G8.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by mrDenali View Post
    Suit yourself, but it is confirmed with a May 2013 launch, so you didn't have to say "possible" italics and all.
    I know it's a certian that Australia (and Middle Eastren markets) will ben getting the next-gen in May 2013. But has GM made an official annoucement that there will be a civilian North American version as well?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    If you can, see if you can find a GXP. That'd be what I'd do if I were in the market for a G8.
    I would, but all of the low-mileage (25K miles & under) used ones are over my budget. I'm trying to stay under $30K

And I've seen a few G8 GT's with 12-15K on the odometer pop up locally under my budget.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Cars are made to be driven and enjoyed. Buy a G8GT, drive it, enjoy it and maintain it, and it will retain good re-sale value as long as there are parts available for it. If you want a collector car, buy a G8-GXP with ultra-low miles and put it up on blocks, driving it few or no miles.
    Either choice works for different people, but I personally enjoy driving cars, not just looking at them!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Cars are made to be driven and enjoyed. Buy a G8GT, drive it, enjoy it and maintain it, and it will retain good re-sale value as long as there are parts available for it. If you want a collector car, buy a G8-GXP with ultra-low miles and put it up on blocks, driving it few or no miles.
    Either choice works for different people, but I personally enjoy driving cars, not just looking at them!
    I agree. I'm just the type that when I watch a recent movie/tv-show that destroys an old classic car, I'll sometimes yell at the screen - "NO. There's not that many of them left"...LOL

If the G8 were still in production, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

I agree. I'm just the type that when I watch a recent movie/tv-show that destroys an old classic car, I'll sometimes yell at the screen - "NO. There's not that many of them left"...LOL.
    But sometimes there are lots left, such as the original Mustang was more than 1 milion made and I think the 1965 Impala had similar production numbers. If they were to destroy a GTO or Z28 Camaro, I'd feel the same way!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

The GXP is the only one that I'd personally consider to be "worth" anything. Just get a GT and enjoy it.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

im getting a g8 gt from my uncle in jun. she is going to be a garage queen. weekend only or to family events. then i have my daily driver.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

I would, but all of the low-mileage (25K miles & under) used ones are over my budget. I'm trying to stay under $30K

And I've seen a few G8 GT's with 12-15K on the odometer pop up locally under my budget.
    Had I known you were looking and you were closer I'd have sold you mine instead of trading it in on the Volt.

I'm sure one will pop up. You may want to look north of the border as winter is coming and RWD cars don't move well up here when the white stuff starts falling. Look at autotrader.ca to see what's for sale if you're interested.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information