G8 Owners: Intimidating Other Drivers?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G8 Owners: Intimidating Other Drivers?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

G8 Owners: Intimidating Other Drivers?

I've had my G8 GT for two months (as of tomorrow) and so far I have had three people instigate (or try to instigate) a street race with me in it. Two of them have been Mustangs!

So, G8 owners, have you intimidated anyone on the road? I find that Mustang owners in general seem to get really defensive around the G8. Funny stuff.

Apparently this car has some street cred, at least in my area.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-31-2009 at 07:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,366 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: G8 Owners: Intimidating Other Drivers?

Two of them have been Mustangs!
    So? Did you smoke them?

Kidding, kidding, take it to the track, folks.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I've had the same thing. Ricers, Mustangs and especially BMW owners. It's all rather funny. Most of the ricers are just funny in that they make a hellish noise but that's about it. No point racing as it's just stupid, but I can see that they so want to. Ignoring them is more fun.

Some BMW drivers race up to catch up to me, smile, and then pull back. I've had a couple indicate how much they liked the G8 and one had such a jealous expression I'm sure he wished he'd bought the G8 instead of the 535 he had.

But it does capture some folks' attention, that's for sure.

A good friend of mine with a last gen M5 loved it when we went out for a spin. Said it was just so brutally sudden when it took off, so civilized when normally driven. He just didn't expect the acceleration. Then I put it in Sport Mode and it was even more sudden. He just loved the sound coming off the car. He said it best: nothing sounds as good as a Chev v8.
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I'm the only G8 on the road as far as I've seen so far. We don't have many fast cars out where I am (not that my V6 is all that fast) so I haven't had this trouble.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

I am surprised there are enough G8's out there, especially the GT, for this to be an issue at all. The only one I've seen locally was briefly in the Wheaton showroom months ago. I've seen none on the streets, more is the pity. RIP Pontiac, RIP G8. You were too young.
    -Elliott

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    Yeah, I've had the same thing. Ricers, Mustangs and especially BMW owners. It's all rather funny. Most of the ricers are just funny in that they make a hellish noise but that's about it. No point racing as it's just stupid, but I can see that they so want to. Ignoring them is more fun.

Some BMW drivers race up to catch up to me, smile, and then pull back. I've had a couple indicate how much they liked the G8 and one had such a jealous expression I'm sure he wished he'd bought the G8 instead of the 535 he had.

But it does capture some folks' attention, that's for sure.

A good friend of mine with a last gen M5 loved it when we went out for a spin. Said it was just so brutally sudden when it took off, so civilized when normally driven. He just didn't expect the acceleration. Then I put it in Sport Mode and it was even more sudden. He just loved the sound coming off the car. He said it best: nothing sounds as good as a Chev v8.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one this is happening to. I haven't ran into any BMW drivers yet, but there simply are not many around here. The Mustangs and Ricers are what I get. And yes, the ricers simply rev it up so their loud fart-can muffles can bellow out a ridiculous noise like that is equal to the 361 HP under the hood of our G8's.

I am continually amazed by the G8's wide range of personality as well. I live in a small town so the speed limits are low, but the car is never challenging to drive in town. It's actually easier to drive "normally" than my G6 GTP was. However, give it some throttle and you start feeling like you're in a 4-door Corvette.
    Last edited by nsap; 07-31-2009 at 09:32 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

I wouldn't call it intimidating other drivers if they are all wanting to take a shot at you. The reality is that if you have any type of fairly fast car every Mustang and ricer within eye sight is trying to get lined up with you. When I had a Mustang it was even worse, almost annoyingly so.

GMI Contributor Premium Member shadams's Avatar
    Thanks

So far the only one to give me any response at all was a Lancer, not even an Evo. I was getting onto the highway with my Dad and Brother in the car and this thing was in front of me merging as well. I accel a little more and went to pull around him when I heard, whirrreeeeeeeeee and realized I wasnt passing him. I looked over and he was looking right at me, so.......BWWWWaaaaaaaaaa I was gone and he got really small in the rearview.

Otherwise, I got a lot more action in the GTO. Oh well, maybe people know what they are dealing with here, hehe.
    "Contrary to common belief, planning is complicated and is not run by complete idiots, so you'll just have to trust that the decisions were made on good information that's not made available to you."

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squat View Post
    I'm the only G8 on the road as far as I've seen so far. We don't have many fast cars out where I am (not that my V6 is all that fast) so I haven't had this trouble.
    Nice to see another '09 G8 V6 on the site. Almost all I read is from GT owners.

Walking
    Thanks

Only mod on my G8 V6 so far: Installed a trunk lid liner. Seems the Base doesn't come with one, only the GT and GXP. I didn't like the look of a bare deck lid with all those cutouts and it's the same as the GT, so the liner went in no problem. Has some sound deadening advantages too.
    (Geez: anything to save a dime, huh)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by hardml View Post
    Only mod on my G8 V6 so far: Installed a trunk lid liner. Seems the Base doesn't come with one, only the GT and GXP. I didn't like the look of a bare deck lid with all those cutouts and it's the same as the GT, so the liner went in no problem. Has some sound deadening advantages too.
    (Geez: anything to save a dime, huh)
    Yep, not included on V6 cars, for whatever random reason. But an easy upgrade.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

I'm very rarely directly challenged here in beach land, but more so every single day get a minimum of 5 people craning necks, pointing and talking, rolling windows down (literally someone in a car on the highway at lower speed today rolled the window down and stuck their head out to look closer when I was beside them), etc., etc. Gawkers, everywhere, and when I had my GXP fascia installed at the body shop today, a few guys outside there stopping me to say "that's such a hot looking car, we all loved it". A few weeks back heading to a meeting someone from the company (who has a Saturn Sky) followed me and when we got there, asked "What kind of car is that?" "A Pontiac G8." "A what...I stared at it the whole way in wondering who was in it...it looks like a Bentley or something."

I then just "race" for fun, all alone or otherwise. For the first time, however, my father tonight challenged me to a race in his new 1968 Dodge Coronet project...I had to laugh and tell him I don't think so. Tuned, intake, Pedders bushings and such to keep the rear rock solid, and that old tank would be left in the dust as the 6-speed just snicks off shifts like nothing, A/C & XM humming, soothing leather seats and all. Oh, and, uh, 18.5mpg around town daily. My V6 Malibu barely got 20. Yeah.

Funny, too, after 7 months it doesn't feel "that" fast to me anymore given my commuter drive, but then I accidentally punch it and get wowed. It's so darn smooth and effortless and not at all a beast--stock, it's a luxury car, seriously--and much more refined and even easier to drive than either the G6 or Malibu I had before. Just SUCH a car, and not only do I physically enjoy driving it, in Pacific Slate and with the 19's and tinted, I apparently look like a superstar in it no matter where I'm at. Fun
    Last edited by caddycruiser; 08-27-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

The ricers want to race me (in my Cobra convertible) too, but so far the G8 guys have been behaving themselves!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one this is happening to. I haven't ran into any BMW drivers yet, but there simply are not many around here. The Mustangs and Ricers are what I get. And yes, the ricers simply rev it up so their loud fart-can muffles can bellow out a ridiculous noise like that is equal to the 361 HP under the hood of our G8's.

I am continually amazed by the G8's wide range of personality as well. I live in a small town so the speed limits are low, but the car is never challenging to drive in town. It's actually easier to drive "normally" than my G6 GTP was. However, give it some throttle and you start feeling like you're in a 4-door Corvette.
    So do you have any kill stories or what?
    2008 Silverado 4x4 LTZ Vortec Max aka Black Betty

Thanks

This morning I had a lady in a Saturn something try to keep pace with me as I was passing her. So I punched it and went off. It feels kinda lame though cuz I eventually slow down to about 5 over the limit since I don't want a ticket and the Saturn eventually caught me and passed me.

But I guess those are the people that will end up with all the tickets.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information