G8 as a Chevy?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G8 as a Chevy?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 610 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

G8 as a Chevy?

Inside line has a crazy idea of bringing the G8 over to Chevy and calling it the Camaro SS sedan. That is a stupid idea in my opinion. HOWEVER, they have an illustration of what it would look like and it's a great-looking car! They could replace the Impala with it next year! Here's the illustration:

http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...hotopanel..3.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,871 Times in 1,314 Posts

Re: G8 as a Chevy?

Call it a Chevelle.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Banned
    Thanks

I would love it if they called it Chevelle. I just really hope it survives.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Give it to Buick--call it a Regal GS or something from their heritage. Buick is going to desperately need some excitement in that division to attract some of the younger buyers that Pontiac will lose. And truthfully, there are just many Pontiac buyers that just don't want to buy a Chevy, but will buy a Buick. In other words, IMO alot of Pontiac buyers always wanted something a little less mainstream then what you can get at the Chevy dealer. Buick can fill that void.
    Last edited by GMC-70; 04-28-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

All of this "bring G8 over as a Chevrolet" makes me laugh. The G8 has not been a profitable vehicle, why on Earth would GM continue to sell it unprofitably as a Chevrolet when the point of killing it and Pontiac is to get back to profitability?

I see the only possibility being that they bring it over as a fleet vehicle for law enforcement. At which case it could probably be sold for a profit.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC ScottieDogFLA's Avatar
    Thanks

Uhhh... this thread has been all over other topics on this site. In review:
    Pontiac G8 dead after another year. No Buick or Chevy G8 re-dos. One thing we should point out too is that the G8 has posted improved sales almost every month since introduction.
    I just can't see an Australian-imported "Chevelle", "Camaro SS Sedan" or "Impala". Besides, this car is probably too good for Chevrolet dealers to know how to sell properly.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Profitability comes from full factory utilization. Since the Camaro and G8 share the Zeta platform, you could bring the car to the Camaro production line and run it down the same line, thereby raising the utilization. If a factory can make 200000 cars a year, but only produces half that number, the cost per unit is higher. If you sell 100,000 Camaros a year, there is room for another car to be built, and that should be the G8 replacement, the Impala SS. GM needs to be smart about this. The G8, nearly unadvertised, has begun selling in profitable numbers. It is well regarded, and would sell in even higher numbers as an Impala.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Profitability comes from full factory utilization. Since the Camaro and G8 share the Zeta platform, you could bring the car to the Camaro production line and run it down the same line, thereby raising the utilization. If a factory can make 200000 cars a year, but only produces half that number, the cost per unit is higher. If you sell 100,000 Camaros a year, there is room for another car to be built, and that should be the G8 replacement, the Impala SS. GM needs to be smart about this. The G8, nearly unadvertised, has begun selling in profitable numbers. It is well regarded, and would sell in even higher numbers as an Impala.
    Yes, but it began to sell well when it had $5,000 off the sticker ($3,000 rebate, $2,000 dealer cash). In some cases you could get OVER $5,000 off, thanks to a $1,000 old inventory rebate on some units. I find it unlikely that those cars were selling at profitable numbers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDogFLA View Post
    Pontiac G8 dead after another year. No Buick or Chevy G8 re-dos. One thing we should point out too is that the G8 has posted improved sales almost every month since introduction.
    I just can't see an Australian-imported "Chevelle", "Camaro SS Sedan" or "Impala". Besides, this car is probably too good for Chevrolet dealers to know how to sell properly.
    Also need to point out that they introduced it during a gas crisis...followed shortly by an economic downturn that happens to still be one of the worst recessions in the last 30 years that shows little to no signs of improvement.

Yeah....all that and the G8, a sports sedan and the most expensive Pontiac, is rising in sales.

Then we need to understand that these are badge jobs. The car, factory tooling, and engineering is already done.

Since we are all speculating here, I speculate that GM is making money on the G8 provided they are not giving them away with massive discounts.
    Last edited by member12; 04-28-2009 at 09:54 AM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

G8 = great car but $5k overpriced. That's why it started selling when incentives hit $5k. That's when I bought mine

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

^ remembering the great ones word aka Bob Lutz hehe " We are not going to import the Commodore if we have to subsidy the car " well uncle Bob the car its damn nice but the timming was the worst to launch the car lol so what happened good ol GM had to subsidy the car so GM current brass have checked the numbers and this means no more G8
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieDogFLA View Post
    While Buick makes more sense (can sell at a higher price-point), unfortunately, I have to agree.

Continuing to import the G8 (under whatever moniker) is a losing proposition and I just can't see GM spending the $$ right now to retool a factory here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Call it a Chevelle.
    Ok, deal ... as long as you're willing to pay around $30k for the basic model and $39k for a nicely-equipped SS.

Too costly? Hmm, then perhaps assembling these in Australia for the US market just doesn't make a good business case. Will probably have to wait for North American production to make this feasible as a Chevy. Darned logistics.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Canyonaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Inside line has a crazy idea of bringing the G8 over to Chevy and........ They could replace the Impala with it next year!

I suggested this yesterday in the Death of Pontiac thread. Nothing new, and it would make a good Impala. Although it is true it isn't too profitable at the moment, if they were to build it in NA and give it to GM's highest volume brand (Chevy) it may or may not make money. But sometimes perception is the most important for the brand.
    Last edited by Canyonaro; 04-28-2009 at 01:32 PM.
    Willy (from the Simpsons): Willy hears ya. Willy don't care.

Обладание Тойотой не плохо, только все те люди, которые ведут тот, думая это как Aмериканец.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

I will cry if this comes true. tears of joy, that is. Impala should be the name, though. Camaro sedan?

Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information