G6 vert ?'s and owner experiences

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: G6 vert ?'s and owner experiences

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

G6 vert ?'s and owner experiences

The lease on my 2011 Malibu is up in May and I am starting to look for my next ride. I really have no idea what I want, last week I looked at a HHR SS and over the past month I have checked out the Miata, Solstice, Genesis Coupe, Sebring vert and a few I can't remember. Today I test drove a 2007 G6 GT, It seems to be a nice car, decent ride, good room and good looks. I'm in love with the idea of a retractable hard top but looking at all the parts involved with the top I am wondering how problem matic the top might be long term. If anyone here has any experience with the G6 vert that they are willing to share I would realllly appreciate it. Is a pretty dependable vehicle? What are some of the more frequent problems that I need to know of. If you have one would your by another one? Also any resources that I could check the G6 vert would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: G6 vert ?'s and owner experiences

I test drove one, I couldn't get past the cramped interior when the roof was up and the made in China hi-value 3.4L V6 (I think that was the engine - definitely was a Chinese sourced engine). I did not like the engine, nor did I have any faith in the "made in China" quality.

Otherwise, I can't comment on its reliability.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Car and Driver tested a couple. Here's their road test http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ible-road-test. The G6 also won a comparison against the Mustang and Sebring convertibles -- http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...mparison-tests.

If you accept its weaknesses (trunk room; its not really a performance car) it seems like a pretty decent convertible. I've got to imagine the roof mechanism might be a bit finicky, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

I believe is actually has the 3.5L engine with 211 horse power. I swapped cars for a weekend when doing to the private sale of my G8 GT. The car I drove was a white G6 GT convertible with tan leather interior. My experience was very positive. The extra weight made the vehicle feel planted. The acceleration was quite adequate but not breathtaking. There is only one company from Germany that sources hard top mechanisms for all cars so it is no more or less reliable than any other system out there.

The question would be how reliable are the hardtops in general. I would think the coin of an extra warranty would be worth it if you could still buy one as insurance.

On the emotion front. My wife and 9 year old daughter loved it.

I still think a convertible that four adults can ride in is a whole GM needs to fill. I do not think Camaro does it.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 02-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The one I drove had the 3.9 which had plenty of power, heated leather, auto climate control and 83k miles. The lack of trunk space when the top is down is not a concern. I'm not looking for a hot rod as it will be a daily driver and a top down cruiser. I tend to keep my vehicles a long time ('86 Daytona Turbo Z,'99 Jeep Cherokee) so long term durability is important. As the one I drove was the first I am not seriously considering that particular car but, the brief conversation I had with the salesman he did mention the availability of an extended warranty. We did not talk price, length or mileage though.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Cadillac CTS-V

My wife has a G6 convertible. She loves being able to press a button and have the top go down and up when she wants the security of a hard top. We have had it for over 3 years an had no problem with the top mechanism. with the top the trunk is huge. With the top down who cares.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Get the VIN, and take it to a GM dealer (not the one who has it for sale). Get them to run the warranty history, and see how many times the top has been worked on under warranty.

Less than two, and it's probably ok. Two or more, keep looking.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I test drove one, I couldn't get past the cramped interior when the roof was up and the made in China hi-value 3.4L V6 (I think that was the engine - definitely was a Chinese sourced engine). I did not like the engine, nor did I have any faith in the "made in China" quality.

Otherwise, I can't comment on its reliability.
    This is utterly false. I say that not to be insulting; rather, to ensure one doesn't stumble in here and think their 3500 or 3900 is the same Chinese 3400 from the Equinox/Torrent. The G6 convertible had the 3.5 standard or the 3.9 as optional. These were not made in China.

While we did not have a vert, we had an '08 G6 GT coupe that we purchased new. The only reason we sold it was because we're expecting a baby next month and needed four doors. It was a great vehicle and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a midsize vehicle with a bit more personality than the typical Camry.
    Last edited by demonspeed; 02-11-2013 at 03:36 PM. Reason: misread a reply.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Silverado 3500 Duramax

Not a convertible, but my wife does have a 2008 G6 GT coupe. Has the 3.5L engine. She really likes the car, plenty of get up and go and plenty left for passing on the interstate. Cruises at 80 really easily, and can still return 30+ mpg on the highway. She has had no issues with hers yet, it had 60,000 miles on it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Quotes...

Me-"Get the VIN, and take it to a GM dealer (not the one who has it for sale). Get them to run the warranty history, and see how many times the top has been worked on under warranty.

Less than two, and it's probably ok. Two or more, keep looking."

Demonspeed-"This is a really loaded statement because if one looked at the history on our G6 they'd see 3 service trips... One for interior trim that was scratched at delivery, another for torn weatherstrip around 35k miles, and the only "mechanical" issue of the EBCM around 20k miles (which was just a light -- nothing seemed wrong). Just something to keep in mind with those general statements"

I SAID HOW MANY TIMES THE TOP HAD BEEN WORKED ON UNDER WARRANTY>>NOT HOW MANY WARRANTY REPAIRS THE CAR HAS HAD. The history will tell what the warranty repair was, the date, and mileage.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    I SAID HOW MANY TIMES THE TOP HAD BEEN WORKED ON UNDER WARRANTY>>NOT HOW MANY WARRANTY REPAIRS THE CAR HAS HAD. The history will tell what the warranty repair was, the date, and mileage.
    You're right! I missed "the top" -- my apologies
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Supporting Vendor GM Customer Service's Avatar
    Thanks

Xjken, I just wanted to let you know I'm happy to investigate any vehicle questions you may have regarding GM vehicles! (For instance, I can pass along a car's specific build sheet, if you wish.) Please don't hesitate to send me a private message through the forum anytime.

Best,

Katie
    GM Customer Service
    Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit Hidden Content !

Follow us @Hidden Content on Twitter.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit Hidden Content

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information