G6 Coupe - NO MORE 4 Person Midsize Coupes for GM

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G6 Coupe - NO MORE 4 Person Midsize Coupes for GM

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 BUICK REGAL

G6 Coupe - NO MORE 4 Person Midsize Coupes for GM

With the discontinuation of the G6 Coupe, GM is abandoning a segment that is thriving.

The midsize 4 person coupe (Camaro's backseat can barely fit a person).

Honda has the Accord Coupe, Toyota has Solara, Even Nissan joined in with an Altima Coupe! But GM will have nothing to compete with these.

Maybe the CTS Coupe, but that car is gonna be VERY Expensive and not in the same segment...

Maybe they should bring back the Monte Carlo based off the new Malibu? Or a Buick Midsize Coupe...

Thoughts?
    2017 Buick Regal

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: G6 Coupe - NO MORE 4 Person Midsize Coupes for GM

Quote Originally Posted by fbg6coupe View Post
    With the discontinuation of the G6 Coupe, GM is abandoning a segment that is thriving.

The midsize 4 person coupe (Camaro's backseat can barely fit a person).

Honda has the Accord Coupe, Toyota has Solara, Even Nissan joined in with an Altima Coupe! But GM will have nothing to compete with these.

Maybe the CTS Coupe, but that car is gonna be VERY Expensive and not in the same segment...

Maybe they should bring back the Monte Carlo based off the new Malibu? Or a Buick Midsize Coupe...

Thoughts?
    The Solara is (slowly) going away, so GM's not the only one leaving the segment currently. However, I agree that GM needs something in this segment.

A next-gen Malibu/Monte Carlo coupe could be a good idea... and I would absolutely love if GM built an Opel Calibra/Buick Regal coupe:

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Mid size coupes are definitely a segment that requires more attention. Now more than ever is a prime time to have a 2+2 with good efficiency and a model with good power. I do like the Camaro, but it is a bit form-over-function for the medium segment. Bravo for building it but i still agree with the OP. I guess we'll just have to wait.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 4,833 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I've always wondered why there are so few coupes built now. I understand that the damand may not be what it was 20 years ago, but how much development and additional manufacturing costs does it really take to include a coupe????

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,406 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I've always wondered why there are so few coupes built now. I understand that the damand may not be what it was 20 years ago, but how much development and additional manufacturing costs does it really take to include a coupe????
    You would be surprised...

I've heard it costs millions just to change minor details on a car...
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mustapha Mond's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fiat 500; Piper Seneca

When I was eighteen no self-respecting teen would be caught dead driving a sedan, that was in the mid-80's. Anything with more than two doors was considered a geezer-mobile, and it's what mom and dad's car looked like. Times have changed, from what I've noticed small sporty sedans like the Mazda 3 series and Subaru's Impreza are increasingly what young adults want.

Perversely, GM put five seat belts in my tiny G5 coupe, although the back seat in it is so small that even three easily accommodated hamsters would find it cramped. It's really a 2 seater with room for a couple of child seats, or a few sacks of groceries.

If few enough people are demanding coupes I don't blame manufacturers from gravitating away from them. As someone else said it costs big money to tool up for a second model.

Give the people what they want. Perhaps the coupe market was created by Detroit in the first place. I remember no end of advertising touting the desirability of "personal luxury" vehicles in the 70's. I haven't seen ads like that in years. There are a lot of drawbacks to a coupe. People like me who grew up thinking they were cool would and still do drive them, but I'm over 40 and have no family to consider so I'm in the extreme minority among my generation. Young 20-somethings seem to have little use for coupes, apart from boys who bought cars like mine because they were cheap and they could tune them.

I'm still hoping for a new Eldorado in a few years myself. I still want to drive a coupe, but as I get older and can afford it, I want some real luxury. Come on Cadillac!
    -Elliott

Thanks

Midsize coupes aren't a big market now, and few midsize coupes even are midsized anymore - the G6, Accord, and Solara coupes are pretty much all of them in the family sedan class, but the Solara is being discontinued IIRC. The Altima coupe is a bit more compact than midsize, as it has a shorter wheelbase and length than the sedan. It's closer to the Eclipse in size, which in turn shares its platform with the Galant sedan.

On the other hand, small/compact coupes are still popular and I don't see that changing for a while. Speaking of which, what's the story with the Cruze and a coupe variant?
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

What about the Camaro? Considering the number of people shopping for coupes it should be adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Mid size coupes are definitely a segment that requires more attention. Now more than ever is a prime time to have a 2+2 with good efficiency and a model with good power. I do like the Camaro, but it is a bit form-over-function for the medium segment. Bravo for building it but i still agree with the OP. I guess we'll just have to wait.
    It's a coupe, if a shopper is looking for function they will go with a sedan or some sort of hatch/wagon.
    Last edited by PA Dweller; 08-01-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PA Dweller View Post
    What about the Camaro? Considering the number of people shopping for coupes it should be adequate.

It's a coupe, if a shopper is looking for function they will go with a sedan or some sort of hatch/wagon.
    Darn, beat me to it... That and the CTS coupe which we are all expecting any day now...
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    Darn, beat me to it... That and the CTS coupe which we are all expecting any day now...
    For once.

I think GM has enough coupes for the time being.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 BUICK REGAL

I didn't know Solara was being discontinued...

I think GM thought Camaro would fill the void, but it isn't very functional. It looks great, but the backseat is virtually unuseable for adults... If only they had designed it with more rear seat room... Even carving out the backs of the front seats would have helped some...

And no market should ever be abandoned. Look what happened when the Firebird and Camaro went away. Mustang became unchallenged in the segment and to this day is the number one selling pony car...

I think I'm going to plan on buying a CTS coupe... better start saving early... I'd love it if there was a Buick coupe coming out, but nothing too small... I want to at least be able to have backseat passengers from time to time...

A Regal based coupe would be great! Or even a LaCrosse Coupe... that interior on a 2-door would be awesome!

I'll miss the G6 Coupe because it looks amazing from the outside and is very roomy inside... oh well.... I'm gonna make mine last as long as possible...
    2017 Buick Regal

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

It's really a shame that GM doesn't have a reasonably priced midsize coupe anymore. It take a lot of work for the manufacturers because coupe buyers are usually very style concious so you can't build one and then expect it to sell in great numbers for 10 years with minor changes. It takes a company that is really on it's game to create a good coupe because most of them have become compromises. The Malibu is just dying to be a coupe.

With seats that can slide up out of the way allowing easy access to the back seats a fairly roomy coupe can be a stylish, fun vehicle without any day to day compromises. Unfortunately most manufacturers, besides the Germans, have narrowed the focus of coupes so much that they have chased off traditional coupe buyers.

It's a real shame too because coupes have always been the most enjoyable cars to not only drive but to look at as well.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 cbennie2's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Saturn Astra Twilight Blu

I really love the way the Astra looks especially in the three door model. Granted I know its not a midsized, but it has a very unique look considering most of the compact cars are very me too looking. I have been wondering if GM might come out with a 2 door Malibu with the demise of G6. I think the Malibu has nice styling that would lend itself very nicely to coupe guise.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Buick needs a big coupe, maybe something based on the Lacrosse could be pretty cool and not too huge of an investment.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

I bet they're trying to decide who should get an Epsilon2 coupe, either Buick or Chevy. A hot Malibu coupe would cement the car as a dynamic leader of the segment. But what's better than a Buick coupe...?

What I would love to see is; a Regal coupe version of the sedan, then a LaCrosse coupe, but with different name and sheet metal.

Chevy has the Camaro, and then the Corvette.

After the CTS coupe comes out, I'd like to see a larger full-size coupe, with the most dramatic Art&Science styling to date, offered on Cadillac's RWD flagship platform. A new Eldorado.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information