G6 Brakes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G6 Brakes

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Question G6 Brakes

Ok i'm sure those of you who have one have noticed the pre-mature brake wear. Will the dealership's fix this problem under warranty, or just charge you and say wear and tear?? It's obvious that other people have had problems and it's on a lot of other blogs, but i have not seen it on this one. Any info about or on this problem please let me know thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: G6 Brakes

They may or may not cover it. Depends on the dealership.

Personally I didn't deal with the dealership on my G6 GTP's brakes because I knew they would not do what I wanted anyway. I had my rotors turned and then put ceramic brake pads all around. That solved any issues I had with them.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

My Chevy dealer changed my Malibu's brake rotors for free...I'm guessing they'd do the same for your G6.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Is there a permanent fix for this? Will any other GM product brakes and calipers swap over - similar to the way the Corvette brake hardware can be installed on the F-Bodies? I've also heard the Camaro hardware can be installed on Grand Ams as well, but I think the G6 is different.

What do the ceramic pads do differently to keep the rotors from warping?

I just got an Aura (same chasis as the G6) and I am hard on brakes. I know it is just a matter of time before I will need to do something. I just started seeing it recently - the shudder in the steering wheel when braking moderately hard at highway speeds.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by alveress View Post
    Ok i'm sure those of you who have one have noticed the pre-mature brake wear. Will the dealership's fix this problem under warranty, or just charge you and say wear and tear?? It's obvious that other people have had problems and it's on a lot of other blogs, but i have not seen it on this one. Any info about or on this problem please let me know thanks!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Where else have you seen this? Id like to know because I just bought a G6 last week and it would be nice to show the dealer that this is a prevalent problem should I have to take it in. So, for though, it's all smiles.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slack View Post
    Where else have you seen this? Id like to know because I just bought a G6 last week and it would be nice to show the dealer that this is a prevalent problem should I have to take it in. So, for though, it's all smiles.
    If I recall GM has a TSB on the brakes of the G6, so chances are, your dealership already knows of the problem. The rotors they use are just OK and the pads are cheap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    If I recall GM has a TSB on the brakes of the G6, so chances are, your dealership already knows of the problem. The rotors they use are just OK and the pads are cheap.
    Thanks for the info. We bought our car at Everett BPG, which is family owned and the people that work their are cool. I doubt they'll try anything crazy, but its nice to know that kind of information is out there.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Sonic

I had my rotor's replaced on my G6 within the first 6 months. Brakes after a year. Just replaced them yourself or wait till they need to be. The dealership should just replace them for you...

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

i'll just do it myself the dealer did nothing but give me the run around with me about the brake problem saying "we haven't seen any problems with g6 brakes." As there are 3 of us sitting in the waiting room for g6 brakes 2 being a 2007 one being 2008!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

My steering wheel vibrates a little when I'm braking, is this what you guys are referring to? It's an '07 with about 22,000 miles.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kilcher View Post
    My steering wheel vibrates a little when I'm braking, is this what you guys are referring to? It's an '07 with about 22,000 miles.
    That sounds like warped rotors to me.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Exactly lol

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Talking Re: G6 Brakes

After taking it in today and leaving it there for 9 hours they turned my rotors with no charge now there is no vibration for a little while anyways, and they figured out what the speak was. It was the E-brake cable, guess they replaced some of it and lubed up the rest, while under there they also replaced part of the steering shaft i guess that was bad and i didn't even notice! Thank You Randy Hosler!!!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

G6 or not, GM warranties the rotors - be it cutting or replacement. The pads - I'm not sure they'll take care of them. Our 08 G6 seems fine with the brakes other than they've squeeked since about 2k miles (have about 7k on it now).
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 01sunfire01's Avatar
    Thanks

they did my car with 23k on it. the car would shake really bad when i would stop. i just took it to the dealer and about a few hours later i was on my way no charge to me. oh i have a 07 g5 gt

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information