Edmunds Hates to see their Long-Term G8 GT go...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Edmunds Hates to see their Long-Term G8 GT go...

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Edmunds Hates to see their Long-Term G8 GT go...

Edmund's has had a 2008 G8 GT in their long-term test fleet for nearly two years and just recently sold it. They said this is one of few long-term tester that they hated to get rid of and it gave them 36,000 trouble-free miles.

Check it out:

http://www.insideline.com/pontiac/g8...iac-g8-gt.html

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the G8 GT. The car, to me, is more than a performance sedan...it's a cultural icon for car culture in general.

I'm not a morning person (actually, I am just downright unpleasant in the mornings) and it never fails...if I take a detour for coffee before work at 7:30 AM and take the highway...I'm always happy by the time I park the car at work. The car just puts a grin on my face every time I drive it. I've never owned a vehicle that managed that.

I've never gotten sentimental with a vehicle when it comes time to trade them off, but I suspect that I will have a hard time parting with the G8 as well when the time comes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

Re: Edmunds Hates to see their Long-Term G8 GT go...

It always makes me feel good to drop the top on my Cobra as well. That's what performance cars should do to people who enjoy driving, not just commuters and those who treat cars like appliances

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

But you can't trust Edmunds right?

Seriously though, I love this car. It's definitely top 5 of the cars I'll be looking at in the next year or so.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ZQ8
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Like I said, BEST damn car I have ever bought. Both of them !

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Yup. This could be my longterm car love affair well beyond pay off.

I hope someone who can make a decision at GM reads that.
    Last edited by Hitman1970; 02-13-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Banned
    Thanks

Just curious, why do you want to trade it in later on? If you like it, you should keep it. And it's a pretty unique car at this juncture.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 84Cressida View Post
    Just curious, why do you want to trade it in later on? If you like it, you should keep it. And it's a pretty unique car at this juncture.
    For me...I just never keep a vehicle very long. I may keep the G8 if values stay decent on it over time and just add to the fleet instead of trade.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

I feel the same way about my GTO...I will have it for a long time...it's been a great car and has given me zero problems so far. And as soon as it's paid off in 2 years, 600 hp will be just around the corner.
    In my garage:

2006 Pontiac GTO
    2016 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Coupe
    2012 Chevrolet Equinox 1LT
    2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    For me...I just never keep a vehicle very long. I may keep the G8 if values stay decent on it over time and just add to the fleet instead of trade.
    Selling it? In 30 years you'd be like those guys that said, "Oh man, when I was in my 20s I had a new '57 Chevy...if only I knew how sought-after they'd become, I wouldn't have sold it in '60 to get a Falcon."

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

My approach is to buy new, keep it in great condition, and drive it for enjoyment. If it's as good long-term as it is new, I'll keep it for a long time. Unless something better (to me) comes along, I'm planning on buying a CapriceSS with everything on it.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Selling it? In 30 years you'd be like those guys that said, "Oh man, when I was in my 20s I had a new '57 Chevy...if only I knew how sought-after they'd become, I wouldn't have sold it in '60 to get a Falcon."
    I tend to have that problem...like when I sold my '95 Fleetwood for a "new" car...that then turned into 3 different new cars. Then I have my G8 & what am I doing? Selling it...I think...

Automotive ADD. Makes for a vicious cycle of "oh...if only..." but it happens.

I've loved reading this long term test from the start, especially after they got the Camaro & editors repeatedly would comment..."G8 is still better...I'd rather actually BUY a G8...G8 handles better..." and so on. Heh. Held up well, too, which never hurts
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Thanks

Edmunds actually LIKED a Detroit 3 car (actually a Aussie import) !!!!!!!!
    I am shocked !
    Usually they harpoon any Detroit 3 ride while they gush
    over any pacific-rim toaster !!!! Read their hunda ridgeline long term test and laugh over how many times that POS spent in the shop and the glowing reviews they gave that turkey esp. the "innovative" trunk in the bed and their "why can't detroit
    think of something innovative like this" banter !

Anyhoo their resident toaster testers must of finally woke up driving a REAL car with RWD and intoxicating V-8 power and full size car room instead of their usual 4 cyl. shoe box............................
    Last edited by sonjaab; 02-14-2010 at 11:18 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

It will probably become a sought after cult car, like the Caprice/Impala SS is. Why don't you just keep it and pay it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    While I could see why people think like that, it also turns a great car into a garage ornament, only for it to come out on special days and auto shows. And if that's the case, why have the car?

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    It will probably become a sought after cult car, like the Caprice/Impala SS is. Why don't you just keep it and pay it off?
    I hope the car does become sought after...it deserves it as Pontiac's last good product. It was paid for on day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon
    While I could see why people think like that, it also turns a great car into a garage ornament, only for it to come out on special days and auto shows. And if that's the case, why have the car?
    Agreed.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I've never gotten sentimental with a vehicle when it comes time to trade them off, but I suspect that I will have a hard time parting with the G8 as well when the time comes.
    You could just give it to me when the time comes. You know it'll be in good hands.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information