Drove the Saturn Sky.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drove the Saturn Sky.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holdens, Saabs and 1 Escalade

Exclamation Drove the Saturn Sky.

The Nitty Gritty - It's a strict toy/second car. Heavy on the looks, pretty light on real sport. It's got nothing on the Miata on driving experience and feels like the cobbled together $19k car it's guts were designed to be.

The best part of the Sky is far and away the styling in and out. The only thing it will ever do better than a Miata is drop jaws. If you don't like being stared at this is not your ride. Very impressive looking car and GM would be smart to ape the cues (and not water them down) on all future Saturn models.

Otherwise the Miata is still the small roadster benchmark and is clearly still the best car in every other respect.

The quality of the car is decent, but nothing to crow about. I noted uneven seams in the body and cheap feeling handles, hood, releases and interior materials. The interior has a somewhat cheap sheen to it the Miata doesn't. When you open the hood or boot you will see how thrown together the car really is. It reminds me of a kit car someone would put together in their garage. Wires and electronics are laid out all over the place with visible plugs. It doesn't impart a premium feel at all, neither does opening and closing the door or other body parts.

The drive is okay, but not sporty. If you've driven a real sports car like the Miata, S2000, etc. you will be disappointed. The steering and pedals have that vague, fuzzed GM feel to them. Not communicative at all. The shifter also feels like it came out of a truck with no snick-snick action. Not surprising since last I read that's exactly where GM got it from. The chassis is pretty solid, not a whole lot of quiver on rough roads. It doesn't feel anywhere as honed as the Miata in turns, you kind of manhandle it around corners and feel it's grip rather than finesse through them like you do in the Miata. That's just what you get with a heavy chassis, rubbery steering and wide tires. The engine isn't a paragon of sportiness either. It's fairly raucous when revved and hangs onto RPMs instead of easily flowing up and down the tach. It does perform well enough though.

As a sports car the Sky is laughable. As a toy to be seen in, it's glorious. If we're lucky maybe the Redline will be a 1/4 mile monster with some tweaking.

Europeans are going to hate this car and want their Speedster/VX back.
    Last edited by TriShield; 05-02-2006 at 01:18 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Bvonscott's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra AllTerrain 6.2

Re: Drove the Saturn Sky.

My drive with it was the complete opposite. Obviously the car is gorgeous in and out, and doesn't look cheap or feminine as does the miata. The materials and build quality are top notch, and the plastics are medium softness as opposed to the Ion. The radio is absolutely beautiful with the piano black finish, and is incorporated well into the interior, unlike the solstice or miata. Basically the car feels solid as a rock.

Driving performance is also very high, and unlike trishield's opinion feels responsive and nimble. I think editors feel the miata drives better because of the weight difference, light=sporty. Not true. The handling reminds me of my camaro, like it's riding on rails. The engine performance is also good, but gearheads should hold out for the redline, which will spank the miata.

The miata just feels so asian and lacking of any character when compared to the sky, and I guarantee people will vote with their wallets.

Verdict:

SKY: Beautiful sports car with great performance and build quality + gotta have it factor.

Miata:
    Uninspired import that only excels in performance due to weight. Chick car.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Bvonscott
    Driving performance is also very high, and unlike trishield's opinion feels responsive and nimble. I think editors feel the miata drives better because of the weight difference, light=sporty. Not true. The handling reminds me of my camaro, like it's riding on rails.
    Yeah, it's obvious you have no idea nor real experience with any proper sports car and how they're supposed to feel. The critics are unanimous, the Miata is still the benchmark.

The Solstice and Sky sell solely on their styling, and no other merits.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Jeremy Clarkson really did sum it up best.

"The new Pontiac Solstice is America’s first attempt at making a sports car in more than 50 years. And not since David Beckham’s wayward penalty kick against Portugal have we seen anything go so wide of the mark. It is comically awful.

And that sets a question. How come America’s massive car industry can’t make what is basically beans on toast? A light, zesty, pine-fresh car with an engine at the front, a simple foldaway roof in the middle and rear-wheel drive at the back? Lotus can make a sports car using nothing but a melted-down bathtub and the engine from a Rover. Alfa Romeo can make a sports car using steel so thin you can read through it, and an engine that won’t start. Then there was Triumph, which made a sports car even though its entire workforce was outside the factory warming its hands around a brazier and chanting.

So what’s America’s problem? Well, here in Europe early cars were expensive coach-built luxury goods for the tweedy and well-off. It wasn’t until the 1940s that cars for the common man came to France, Germany and Britain, and it wasn’t until the 1950s that they came to Italy. They haven’t arrived in Spain even today.

As a result we still have an innate sense that a car is something you save up for, something a bit decadent and exciting. Whereas in America the everyman Model T Ford came quickly after the introduction of internal combustion so there was never a chance for cars to earn that upmarket cachet. As a result, they’ve always seen the car as a tool: nothing more than an alternative to the horse.

In Europe we talk about style and how fast a car accelerates. In America they talk about how many horse boxes their trucks can pull and how much torque the engine produces.

If you do encounter someone over there who’s fond of performance cars they’re only really interested in how much g can be generated in the bends, whereas here those of a petrolhead disposition don’t care at all about grip, only what happens when it’s lost and the car is sliding. Then you are into the world of handling. A world where nothing but skill keeps you out of the hedge.

There’s more, too. From day one American motor sport was all about sponsorship, which is why the oval raceway was developed. It meant the whole crowd could see all the sponsors’ names all the time. The cars never zoomed off into a wood.

Here, they did. Motor racing was a rich man’s game, held far from hoi polloi on airfield perimeter roads. And on twisty tracks like this, grip was nowhere near as important as decent handling.

Add all this together and you start to understand why we have Lotus, Ferrari, Maserati and Aston Martin. And they have the Ford F-150 Lightning pick-up truck: 0-60mph in a millionth of a second. Enough space in the back for a dead bear. And on a challenging road about as much fun as a wasabi enema.

Of course, the American way means they’ll never be able to build a sports car. It explains why the Pontiac Solstice is so dire."

They are replacing the Lotus-supplied Speedster/VX with the Sky in Europe. The Sky is going to be an international laughing stock for the fat, cheap car that it is.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by TriShield
    Yeah, it's obvious you have no idea nor real experience with any proper sports car and how they're supposed to feel. The critics are unanimous, the Miata is still the benchmark.

The Solstice and Sky sell solely on their styling, and no other merits.
    Hahaha. I've driven sports cars my whole life. Did you miss the part where I drive a camaro, a sports car? I sell cars, I know whats good and whats not. I've driven just about every car that's in the U.S. So don't try to tell me what experience I have.
    Last edited by Bvonscott; 05-02-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride

Hahaha. I've driven sports cars my whole life. Did you miss the part where I drive a camaro, a sports car?
    Exactly, you think the Camaro is a sports car. Nearly anything is going to feel better compared to that.

Thanks
    My Ride

Exactly, you think the Camaro is a sports car. Nearly anything is going to feel better compared to that.
    Are you joking? then what is it, a sedan? you must be realy naive. I'm afraid you need to go back to school and learn what a car is. As Carlos Mencia says: "duhr duhrduhr".

Thanks
    My Ride

Are you joking? then what is it, a sedan? you must be realy naive. I'm afraid you need to go back to school and learn what a car is. As Carlos Mencia says: "duhr duhrduhr".
    Wow, just wow. Huge pigs like Camaros and muscle cars are about as far removed from a proper sports car as you can get. You might want to stay inside your little self-made GM world where your views hold more merit.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 FightingChance's Avatar
    Thanks

Everything TriShield says seems to be on par with the emotive feeling of driving the car I've seen in other reviews. Part of the sacrifice made because it's assembled out of so many other cars' parts.

However, it does undercut the Miata by a few thousand dollars, yes? 20k for a roadster like that would seem to be the best bang for the buck in the world; I can't think of a topless RWD car that offers more for less. I think the Kappa twins are good enough, but while I once looked forward to getting a Solstice myself, I think I'll hold off.
    "I cannot wait for the new fad to come along, one that doesn't involve making respectable looking cars look as though they were parked nearby when the plastic factory exploded."

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 FightingChance's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, I didn't know they were replacing the Lotus Elise based Opel Speedster with a Kappa car - holy shat, they're gonna hate that thing.
    "I cannot wait for the new fad to come along, one that doesn't involve making respectable looking cars look as though they were parked nearby when the plastic factory exploded."

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not some wanna be Eurofile who thinks cars should be just like some other car from Europe so I can care less what europeans think about the sky.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Europeans are going to hate this car and want their Speedster/VX back.
    How mush did the Speedster cost? Genuine question... I don't know. If the GT doesn't live up to the expections of Speedster fans but costs half as much, it can be forgive. If it's around the same price then it's a weak replacement. I love it... it'll sell on looks alone, I suspect, though not everyone thinks it's all that bad of a ride. Jeremy Clarkson hates just about everything... guarantee he had his article written before he was even handed the keys. He has a good reserve of super-witty slams in a box, and waits for vehicles to use them on.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

The only thing it will ever do better than a Miata is drop jaws.
    Your opinion on the driving dynamics may be 100% correct (never driven one) but when you include a statement like the above you come across as a someone with a personal agenda. How do you know what the future Sky and Miata will be like. The Sky Redline will smoke the Miata in acceleration so that is one thing it will do better right off the bat. Who knows what the future holds for either of these two cars.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede
    Your opinion on the driving dynamics may be 100% correct (never driven one) but when you include a statement like the above you come across as a someone with a personal agenda. How do you know what the future Sky and Miata will be like. The Sky Redline will smoke the Miata in acceleration so that is one thing it will do better right off the bat. Who knows what the future holds for either of these two cars.
    All true. Don't forget that the current Solstice records the exact same lap times as the MX5! To acheive this, one must race the MX5 while the Solstice can only just be "driven" around the track.

What I mean is that:

The chassis in the current Solstice/Sky is just more capable than the engine. With the GXP, we'll finally find out just what the limits are for the Solstice/Sky chassis too. These cars may turn out to be a lot more fun at the track but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks
    My Ride

Wow, just wow. Huge pigs like Camaros and muscle cars are about as far removed from a proper sports car as you can get. You might want to stay inside your little self-made GM world where your views hold more merit.
    Hmm lets see... my car weighs about 3500 pounds... you know the weight of like the 350Z. Camaro's are track tested and approved and still run races to this day, road races even, and have hundreds of wins. So if you mean by "proper sports car" a small little import chick car, then whatever floats your boat. I'm afraid you can't win this argument with me, cause I simply don't agree with you. But I gaurantee more people will think the SKY is better than the miata, and you can't change that.
    Member of the: Real Truck Guys Club.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information