Daily News criticing Pontiac G8

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Daily News criticing Pontiac G8

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Daily News criticing Pontiac G8

I wrote a letter to tell them fire Josh Max because he knows much about a performance vehcle. And he doesn't like most of everything and saying the performance is no good on the v6, and the title saying G8 GT. come on the GT goes from 0-60mph in 5.2 secs, and he says " the 6.0 V8 is Unfashionalbe" . But every mags saying it's a nice vehcle. We all know Pontiac is not made for lexury, if u want GPS, just a few more $k then u get a GPS in a Cadic CTS. this guy should be fired, please send them a message.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/200...d__but_li.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/index.html

hope American will rise up one more time!!!! United we stands!!!!!
    Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 07-09-2008 at 12:05 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,369 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: Daily News criticing Pontiac G8

Oh blah blah blah blah.
    Obviously he doesn't know his cars. Every qualified automotive reviewer saw that the G8's switchgear layout was because of the Commodore's RIGHT hand drive.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

If he says the G8 has indirect steering then he must usually drive a bulldozer. It is about as good as you get without spending a heap more (based on Commodore experience)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

It sounds like he doesn't actually know anything about cars, and is just saying what he usually hears other people saying about Pontiacs.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

I want a G8 but in Canada they are charging $31999 for a base car and no rate break. It's also hard to find one. I need a new car in the next month or two and I will probably have to pass on it. It's too bad it wasn't made on this continent, we would probably have some volume that way! Probably be cheaper too.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Okay ... I don't know this guy ... maybe he does find it fashionable to give bad reviews to certain cars. But, I've heard GMI members complain about the same things that he complains about. Overall, I think it is a fair review.

He says the V8 is unfashionable (comment on gas guzzler in time of high gas prices) but satisfying (meaning fun to drive I assume.) He does complain about it's steering and handling and then later gives more details about "adjusting quickly" ... I interpret that to mean the weight of the vehicle (which is admitedly high) combined with the high horsepower is causing oversteer which he is having to correct. A performance enthusiast would see this as a good thing, but just someone trying to take a corner fast might feel out of control. He also mentions that the body is "speedy but generic" ... maybe not as generic as the GTO, but it does have more conservative styling.

15 mpg city ... not good. He does say that it's a looker listing various styling elements. And many other individuals have complained about the missing features (navigation the most often mentioned ... manual too) in a $30k vehicle. And finally ... those oil and battery guages are a pure afterthought and not really liked by anybody ... so much so that they are changing things up for it's second year. And I didn't like the Blaupunkt in the GTO either.

To sum ... it's a fast (but thirsty), good looking (but reserved) sedan for $30k (but missing some common niceties at that price point.) Is this anything we didn't already know?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dindak View Post
    I want a G8 but in Canada they are charging $31999 for a base car and no rate break. It's also hard to find one. I need a new car in the next month or two and I will probably have to pass on it. It's too bad it wasn't made on this continent, we would probably have some volume that way! Probably be cheaper too.
    I've only seen 4 on a transporter here in Calgary. I was getting diesel at a cardlock, looked over and their they were, 1 red, 1 grey and two black. Awesome car in person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by salbracht View Post
    Okay ... I don't know this guy ... maybe he does find it fashionable to give bad reviews to certain cars. But, I've heard GMI members complain about the same things that he complains about. Overall, I think it is a fair review.

He says the V8 is unfashionable (comment on gas guzzler in time of high gas prices) but satisfying (meaning fun to drive I assume.) He does complain about it's steering and handling and then later gives more details about "adjusting quickly" ... I interpret that to mean the weight of the vehicle (which is admitedly high) combined with the high horsepower is causing oversteer which he is having to correct. A performance enthusiast would see this as a good thing, but just someone trying to take a corner fast might feel out of control. He also mentions that the body is "speedy but generic" ... maybe not as generic as the GTO, but it does have more conservative styling.

15 mpg city ... not good. He does say that it's a looker listing various styling elements. And many other individuals have complained about the missing features (navigation the most often mentioned ... manual too) in a $30k vehicle. And finally ... those oil and battery guages are a pure afterthought and not really liked by anybody ... so much so that they are changing things up for it's second year. And I didn't like the Blaupunkt in the GTO either.

To sum ... it's a fast (but thirsty), good looking (but reserved) sedan for $30k (but missing some common niceties at that price point.) Is this anything we didn't already know?
    I thought it was a fair review, too - and not overly critical of the G8, either. I was unimpressed by the interior quality (materials) and layout as well as lack of features but the V-8 is fantastic, especially at this price point. It is a tradeoff, of course. YMMV.
    2010 Infiniti FX35
    2007 Yukon XL Denali
    2012 Porsche 911 Carrera S

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member WishIhadatruck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Eco MT

I thought he was overly negative. Usually people compare cars to what the cars target audience would be looking for. It is heavy because it is a large car and really isn't much if any heavier than the competition. Compare the interior dimensions to some other cars including trunk space and see what it compares to. I certainly wouldn't try to fire the guy however. I think many people looking for a sport sedan really aren't looking for such a large car, it would be perfect if they had a smaller RWD car to sell along side of it. They also need to get the wagon and the 2.9L diesel in both of them asap. I'd love a diesel wagon. The rear seat is plenty wide enough for 3 kids in car seats and with a small diesel it would be fairly fuel efficient. The wagon would offer great cargo capability as well. Who needs a CUV?
    Current:
    '96 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
    '14 Cruze Eco Manual
    '03 2500 8.1L Suburban
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 610 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I thought it was a fair review, too - and not overly critical of the G8, either. I was unimpressed by the interior quality (materials) and layout as well as lack of features but the V-8 is fantastic, especially at this price point. It is a tradeoff, of course. YMMV.
    I have to agree about the interior quality when I went to check one out a few months ago. That said, my boss just took delivery of her new '09 G8 GT and said that now where the gauges were is just a catch all place to put stuff. I haven't seen it yet, but for the price, you can afford to burn the tires off and replace them once a month! Or at least spend a little more on gas.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyisland View Post
    I wrote a letter to tell them fire Josh Max because he knows shiit about a performance vehcle. And he doesn't like most of everything and saying the performance is no good on the v6, and the title saying G8 GT. come on the GT goes from 0-60mph in 5.2 secs, and he says " the 6.0 V8 is Unfashionalbe" . But every mags saying it's a nice vehcle. We all know Pontiac is not made for lexury, if u want GPS, just a few more $k then u get a GPS in a Cadic CTS. this guy should be fired, please send them a message.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/200...d__but_li.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/index.html

hope American will rise up one more time!!!! United we stands!!!!!
    I'd worry more about your own writing, spelling, editing, and grammatical skills than the author of this review's.

By the way, intentionally bypassing the profanity filter is a bannable offense here.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

It sure is 69...it sure is.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyisland View Post
    We all know Pontiac is not made for lexury, if u want GPS, just a few more $k then u get a GPS in a Cadic CTS.
    Buddy, you should consider downloading ieSpell. Your spelling sucks bad. Also a CTS cost considerably more than you state, so yes the G8 should offer the navigation option since not everyone can afford to drop an additional $10k (Minimum) on a CTS. Plus you can't get a V8 on the CTS, yet.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information