Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk. - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 marinerbc's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Dodge Charger R/T

Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    But, I'd buy a car from coaster.n3rd any day of the week. Honesty is always the best policy.
    I would too. I'd find a way to work with him aftermarket to get the laminate put on at my own cost.

GOOD salesmen are very hard to find, as I know all too well, having had a run-in with a not so good one on this very board. Work together to achieve the goal.

And yes, this is a shortcoming on GM's side. No way they should cheapen the car in any way, and it looks like Lutz has lost another one to the bean counters.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coaster.n3rd View Post
    Thanks,jita. I try to go above and beyond for anyone, but I will admit I take extra special care of those here on GMi.

I assure you, I have no idea who he is.

Here is McGarret though. I knew I had seen him before.

That's too funny.

No doubt. I used to work at a car dealership in the Internet dept. I later tried sales and was very uncomfortable with some of the tactics they tried to get me to follow. Some of the guys were honest but some weren't. It was very competitive with some guys pulling six figures in a year while others barely selling three cars a month.

Honesty and integrity do go a long way. Many customers are more loyal to their salesperson than they are to the brand that they sell.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by coaster.n3rd View Post
    I had a customer come in today that bought an 07 Aura off of me a little over two years ago. his was one of the first on the lot when the Aura came out. He loved the car and still loves it. His 27 month lease is up and he came to see me for another one. he said he "wanted an 09 no matter 'what the lease cost was'. I ran a payment for him and it was less then he was paying for his old one. He drove the car and said it was too loud and wanted to know why it was louder than his previous 07' model year. When I explained about the deletion of the front windshield triple laminate, he walked away from it.

He had no issue with the deleted chrome strip on the side or the cheap blinker sound. He is going to look at a buick, hopefully they can keep him, but he really liked his Aura. I have a feeling he won't be the last.
    Don't worry but insane people want to tell you - I doubt any salesman would have convinced THIS particular guy to buy the car.. Cost cutting (or thrifting) happens too often. Luckily, most people don't notice. But I agree with those who feel a vehicle should evolve into something BETTER and MORE feature-rich - not the opposite. Create a great vehicle, get everybody interested, and then start removing things to make more profit. It seems very dishonest to me. Unless they're going to reduce the price of the vehicle, this should not be happening. But, of course, this is GM we're talking about. They do it on the Escalade.. It's not like Ford doesn't do this either. Especially with Lincoln.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Well, looks like Solutia Inc.'s claims about the NVH reduction benefits of acoustic grade PVB interlayer material are indeed valid!

The 2009 Malibu still uses the same acoustic interlayer windshield as the pre- 2009 Aura.

(Windshield used on the '09 Aura at the top; that for the early production '08 Aura, along with both '08 & '09 Malibu on the bottom):

My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    The problem was the salesman, he talked himself and the customer out of the sale.
    I work in a heavy retail-based environment, and I make FAR more than my co-workers because I don't bull**** my customers. If you want to earn their trust and business, treat them like adults and don't play games with them. People aren't as stupid as they look. I also have substantially more repeat customers and customer compliments to management when compared to my co-workers. Do I make a sale on every single person? Nope: I educate them on things they may be interested in, give them samples, and let them return to me, after knowing I am not going to pressure them to buy. I may not make any green on them that day, but I've earned a customer for life most of the time after having done so.

By doing what I said above, I ensure that they return and go from satisfied to loyal. Loyal customers pay your bills, while satisfied customers give you spending change. Especially if you're in an industry you plan to be in. Sure you may get a good amount of money on that one customer the first time they come in, but will they come back? Who knows. The money is in the people who return. When you're in retail (or car sales), you're not just selling cars: you're building relationships. If people don't understand that, they need to reevaluate their career pathway, because they give the good, honest, true retail workers a bad name.

Coaster obviously gets this, and he's right. So he may not have gotten the sale on this particular one, but he was honest, and informed. I'd be a rich man for every time I've had to correct a salesman on a car's feature or trim level. To know that they decontented that specifically is incredibly impressive. His knowledge on that alone would've booked me for a sale, even if it wasn't the Aura.

My co-workers who "love" everything we sell and think that "everything we sell rocks" have substantially lower sales than I do. I tell my customers what I don't like, even though they may like it. I tell them what's a big seller and what's not. If there are flaws with a product, you bet I tell them about it.

He didn't talk anyone out of the sale. He told the truth, and he should be given a medal for that.

Why did'nt you also tell him it gets bad gas MPG and tell him that he might not be able to get parts or service after GM goes bankrupt?

thats the problem right there, perhaps you are not cut out for car sales?
    Because it's gas mileage isn't that bad and GM isn't going bankrupt. He'd be lying if he told them either of those three things, just as he'd be lying if you had your way in making him lie to his customer.

Perhaps you're not cut out to be giving psychological advice on customer service. I'm pretty sure coaster knows the best way that works to sell cars for him. He seems quite successful.

The right answer would have been to tell him that the 2009 is actually quieter because the added more insulation.
    So...lie, then? Great idea. That always makes things better.
    Last edited by Minnesota Nice; 08-12-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks

To add insult to your injury, he just signed his papers and walked out of here with an 08 made before May of this year (when the glass was deleted). It was actually my demo. Already this morning I have had 2 phone calls from referals of his before he even bought his car.

I am glad to hear that there was a car on your lot that you liked enough to sell it to him. (you realize that you selling him or not selling him the car does nothing for my pocketbook, just yours)

You did'nt tell him the demos are all abused and that they drove this pi$$ out of it?

Sheeple, the point I am trying to make here is that this is a serious situation, you dont see the guy at the Toyota dealership talking about slugdy V6's that blow up at 12,000 miles, broken cams on Tundras and frame rot on Tacomas, does he mention how many cars Toyota recalled last year?

No he just keeps taking the idiots money with a smile.

Thanks

Some of us have integrity to worry about. Not all of us want to sacrifice our conscience for a quick buck.

Any car buyer worth a grain of salt would have done substantial research prior to even going to the dealership in order to uncover problems.

I've turned down several car dealerships when looking for a replacement car because I brought with me an arsenal loaded with common problems with the car I test drove. When asked to the salesperson, I was given a lie that "I've never heard of that before."

Chances are he/she really hasn't (which is one sign he really sucks at his job, to not go out and heavily research the cars he's supposed to be selling credibly). Honesty adn intelligence...If I were buying a Saturn, I'd be talking to this guy.

Thanks

Just to close the subject, from coasters own review of the 2009 Aura posted here on GMI...

I feel so missled....

The highway noise is still muted like the Aura before it. Its quiet and road manners are exceptional. however, gone is the electronic 'blink' sound from the blinkers and has been replaced with a mechanical 'click' like the old days. This is upsetting as it seems counter productive to go back to a sound that has been around since the blinker became standard on the automobile. The dual exhaust on XR 4cyl sounds good. Nothing to write home about, but it has less whine then previous 4cyl models.

What happend?

Proof the sometimes you sell the customer and sometimes the customer sells you.

I doubt that the difference between the 2 cars is even more than 1dBa.

`

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information