Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk. - Page 3

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

  1. #31
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7,229
    Thanks
    1,098
    Thanked 905 Times in 409 Posts
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
    I called and talked to the sales guy first though.
    Now that is awesome

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 autofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 146 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    My question (along with thousands, perhaps millions of others) is why on earth GM thinks no one is going to notice these things? How do you take a satisfied customer - one so satisfied with their current car that the want another one just like it, and expect them not to notice that the new model offers less than the old one? How do you ever build customer loyalty and word-of-mouth advertising with that philosophy? Apparently if you really want a GM product, get it the first year because from that point on they will take out many of the nice features that made the car so great in the first place. Ahhh, the path to mediocrity...

  4. #33
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 montrealvue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montreal,PQ
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    You let your wife go car shopping alone?


    Dont send her to him, he will tell her how the VUE is overweight, gets bad MPG and is slow.
    Hey, he would be being honest, right? Or would you just lie and tell he it gets the same mileage as a CR-V. I wouldn't hesitate referring someone to Coaster. You on the other hand........ not so much. Then again, I am sure your repeat customers are few and far between. At lease Coaster's customer came back to see him to give him a crack at another sale! I think that says something about his integrity. Something you seem to know little about.
    Last edited by montrealvue; 08-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    '87 Merc Tracer '88 Toyota Tercel '89 VW Golf '94 Saturn SL '97 Pontiac Grand Am '00 Olds Silhouette '02 Dodge Intrepid '04 Chev Malibu '06 Saturn Vue '08 Toyota Sienna

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #34
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 coaster.n3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    5,059 Miles SE of Dutch Harbor
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    You let your wife go car shopping alone?


    Dont send her to him, he will tell her how the VUE is overweight, gets bad MPG and is slow.
    Or we could send her to you where she will get ****ed out of every dollar and leaves believing her car has extra insulation and probably something else you lied to her about.

    The problem is you don't listen at all. I noticed this when you suggested I turn up the radio and have the customer take a listen to drown out the road noise when I had said twice this customer wants peace & quiet.

    To add insult to your injury, he just signed his papers and walked out of here with an 08 made before May of this year (when the glass was deleted). It was actually my demo. Already this morning I have had 2 phone calls from referals of his before he even bought his car.

    I'm laughing at you McGarret.... all the way to the bank.
    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.


    "I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

  7. #35
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,292
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by coaster.n3rd View Post
    Or we could send her to you where she will get ****ed out of every dollar and leaves believing her car has extra insulation and probably something else you lied to her about.

    The problem is you don't listen at all. I noticed this when you suggested I turn up the radio and have the customer take a listen to drown out the road noise when I had said twice this customer wants peace & quiet.

    To add insult to your injury, he just signed his papers and walked out of here with an 08 made before May of this year (when the glass was deleted). It was actually my demo. Already this morning I have had 2 phone calls from referals of his before he even bought his car.

    I'm laughing at you McGarret.... all the way to the bank.

  8. #36
    7.0 Liter LS7 V8 coaster.n3rd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    5,059 Miles SE of Dutch Harbor
    Posts
    4,823
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by jita1 View Post
    You're my kind of salesman. I live in Metro Detroit too. I just bought my car this year but my wife's lease is up on her car next year and she's entertaining the idea of getting into a Vue. If she decides to go that way, I want to send her to you.
    Thanks,jita. I try to go above and beyond for anyone, but I will admit I take extra special care of those here on GMi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    You live in "Metro Detroit," Coaster lives in "Metro Detroit." You have a 2008 Saturn Aura XE, Coaster has a 2008 Saturn Aura XE. Your first post ever is in a thread defending Coaster....

    ....hmmmm.

    Can you wave to him from your cubicle?
    I assure you, I have no idea who he is.

    Here is McGarret though. I knew I had seen him before.

    Mercedes: Irrellevant in todays market.


    "I would never consider owning a Buick because of the sheer stigma of owning a Buick, no matter how good they got;"
    -Mgescuro the follower.

  9. #37
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    11,071
    Thanks
    771
    Thanked 421 Times in 226 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    In McGarrett's defense, I'd have to back up him up on his belief that customers are retarded. While I've never worked in retail, I did for a time own a Mom & Pop neighborhood video store and was floored by how stupid people are when doing something as simple as renting a video. "Do you have that movie with that guy who was in that other movie last year?"....

    Or when my kid brother and his buddy opened up a pizza shop. Boy you wouldn't believe the dumb questions asked. "How big is the 14-inch pizza?". "Can I get olives on just one slice?". "Do you deliver to (name of town 30 miles away)?". "Well why don't you sell eggrolls?" And these weren't rare instances, they were barraged daily with this.

    I think in this debate we also have to consider that Coaster's at a Saturn store, where the customers walk in knowing there's none of the traditional shuffling that goes on in car buying. The public are well aware of Saturn's "pay the sticker" policy so customers enter a Saturn "retailer" in a more relaxed, less-defensive, posture. Saturn shoppers, more so than others, are expecting a different experience than they'll get down at Wayne Shlegel Buick-Hyundai out on route 9.

    While Coaster gets the relaxed "this is going to be a pleasant experience" customer, McGarrett is left dealing with the flotsam and jetsam of humanity. The "I refuse to pay a dime over invoice" element. The Hank and Hilda Homespuns trying to "outfox" the salesman. In short, complete and utter morons.

    Coaster gets a flat salary plus bonuses (or so I'm led to believe; correct me if I'm wrong), so he knows the rent's getting paid. If McGarrett loses too many sales, his kids eat beenie-weenie and "ghetto spaghetti" for the rest of the month.

    Coaster may very well be a more affable, likable guy. But McGarrett didn't create the environment he works in. It's been in practice for ages. The practices may seem sleazy to us on the outside, but it may very well be the tools necessary for McGarrett's survival.

    I've known enough car salesman in my life to come to the understanding that selling cars is a crap shoot. One day you're living high, the next you're borrowing this month's rent from your parents. It's completely understandable that a car salesman may be forced to resort to tactics that he doesn't agree with for the sake of survival.

    I think a lot of people might want to try selling cars (or videos or pizzas) to see exactly the sort of crap the salesman has to put up with. From a purely ethical standpoint I can't condone much of what McGarrett may practice, but at the same time I can't castigate him for doing what's necessary to make a living.

    The general public all too often forgets just what morons the general public are (or can be).
    Last edited by t-rex; 08-08-2008 at 04:16 PM.

  10. #38
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 98 Times in 52 Posts
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by autofan View Post
    My question (along with thousands, perhaps millions of others) is why on earth GM thinks no one is going to notice these things? How do you take a satisfied customer - one so satisfied with their current car that the want another one just like it, and expect them not to notice that the new model offers less than the old one? How do you ever build customer loyalty and word-of-mouth advertising with that philosophy? Apparently if you really want a GM product, get it the first year because from that point on they will take out many of the nice features that made the car so great in the first place. Ahhh, the path to mediocrity...
    Oh, they do, and it's forever a disappointment. Look at the GMT-800 trucks from '00-06, which were decontented to the extent of door panel trimming just being removed by the end, with a blank spot.

    Brings back memories of our '02 Avalanche to '04 Suburban trade. The Avalanche was not a fully decked out model, but had dual power cloth front buckets, Onstar, etc. The door panels were also nicely trimmed with cloth matching the seats. Then we went to the Suburban, which had a $7k higher sticker. NO more power passenger seat, only the scratchy manual controls and flimsy knobs, NO more adjustable lumbar on either of the seats, un-trimmed door panels, etc. The passenger seat alone was enough to anger my mother for months every time she got in and tried to adjust it. Same for the underhood light, and else.

    Same with the Malibu now. Visually it only is the deletion of power pedals all together and the removal of the fender turn signal blinkers. She said good riddance to the power pedals she hasn't used once in either of the last 2 cars, but said it was stupid to remove the fender blinkers. Most people now won't notice, but to those with an '08, "something nice is missing."

    Decontenting seems to plague GM more than most others, especially to the extent of visual/physical items just disappearing. With the case of the Aura here, most new buyers won't even notice a difference in sound with the windshield change...BUT as the previous owner here almost did, those who were will not be happy enough to even switch brands.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

  11. #39
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Exploder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,872
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    So what GM has to learn is this: cost cutting always backfires.

  12. #40
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6 autofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,208
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 146 Times in 61 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Exploder View Post
    So what GM has to learn is this: cost cutting always backfires.
    They have never learned this and I have no reason to believe they ever will. Any retail company strives for customer loyalty. If you can get a customer to return again and again, that is success. When they return for another product and find it to be less than it was before, yet usually more costly, what are they to do? GM has convinced themselves no one will notice. Product penny-pinching is the holy grail of General Motors' bean counters. It's like a drug that they can't quit.

  13. #41
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Omaha Nebraska, USA
    Posts
    5,424
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    In McGarrett's defense, I'd have to back up him up on his belief that customers are retarded. While I've never worked in retail, I did for a time own a Mom & Pop neighborhood video store and was floored by how stupid people are when doing something as simple as renting a video. "Do you have that movie with that guy who was in that other movie last year?"....

    Or when my kid brother and his buddy opened up a pizza shop. Boy you wouldn't believe the dumb questions asked. "How big is the 14-inch pizza?". "Can I get olives on just one slice?". "Do you deliver to (name of town 30 miles away)?". "Well why don't you sell eggrolls?" And these weren't rare instances, they were barraged daily with this.

    I think in this debate we also have to consider that Coaster's at a Saturn store, where the customers walk in knowing there's none of the traditional shuffling that goes on in car buying. The public are well aware of Saturn's "pay the sticker" policy so customers enter a Saturn "retailer" in a more relaxed, less-defensive, posture. Saturn shoppers, more so than others, are expecting a different experience than they'll get down at Wayne Shlegel Buick-Hyundai out on route 9.

    While Coaster gets the relaxed "this is going to be a pleasant experience" customer, McGarrett is left dealing with the flotsam and jetsam of humanity. The "I refuse to pay a dime over invoice" element. The Hank and Hilda Homespuns trying to "outfox" the salesman. In short, complete and utter morons.

    Coaster gets a flat salary plus bonuses (or so I'm led to believe; correct me if I'm wrong), so he knows the rent's getting paid. If McGarrett loses too many sales, his kids eat beenie-weenie and "ghetto spaghetti" for the rest of the month.

    Coaster may very well be a more affable, likable guy. But McGarrett didn't create the environment he works in. It's been in practice for ages. The practices may seem sleazy to us on the outside, but it may very well be the tools necessary for McGarrett's survival.

    I've known enough car salesman in my life to come to the understanding that selling cars is a crap shoot. One day you're living high, the next you're borrowing this month's rent from your parents. It's completely understandable that a car salesman may be forced to resort to tactics that he doesn't agree with for the sake of survival.

    I think a lot of people might want to try selling cars (or videos or pizzas) to see exactly the sort of crap the salesman has to put up with. From a purely ethical standpoint I can't condone much of what McGarrett may practice, but at the same time I can't castigate him for doing what's necessary to make a living.

    The general public all too often forgets just what morons the general public are (or can be).

    Great post.

    Though I know I'm far from financially set for a new car, when I am, I know all I can do is make sure I'm educated about my intended purchase and go in with an open mind.
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

    Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

  14. #42
    1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    I actually got a root canal and bought a new car in the same week!
    PsychoBueller

    Mine:
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring-L
    2003 Honda Accord LX
    2000 Buell Cyclone M2

    In The Family:
    2010 Buick Lacrosse CXS
    2009 Hyundai Sonata GLS
    2008 Buick Enclave CXL
    2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT
    2003 Saturn Ion
    2002 Chevrolet Impala LS
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado LS Z71

  15. #43
    Chevrolet VOLT member12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    10,431
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by MCGARRETT View Post
    The problem was the salesman, he talked himself and the customer out of the sale.


    Why did'nt you also tell him it gets bad gas MPG and tell him that he might not be able to get parts or service after GM goes bankrupt?


    thats the problem right there, perhaps you are not cut out for car sales?


    The right answer would have been to tell him that the 2009 is actually quieter because the added more insulation.

    I am sure that with a meter, the difference if any may be 1 or 2 Db.

    Customers are stupid and crazy at the same time, they look to the salesman for re-assurance that they are doing the right thing, no matter what.

    Are they hiring at the Toyota dealership?


    Dude, I could go for a test drive at the dealership followed by a quick order and ship process to my front door wholesale.

    Most of the time, dealers ARE the problem because of their lack of knowledge of the product.





    The problem here isn't the dealer- it's the product. He told the truth.



    Is it common practice throughout GM to delete options and features after the car has already won the comparison tests? That's cheap and unethical.
    When the consumer finds out, they really get a bad feeling.

    The stupid side blinker is an example:
    Did it serve a function? No- but it's visible and a repeat saturn customer will likely notice.
    Last edited by member12; 08-10-2008 at 09:08 AM.

  16. #44
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 98 Times in 52 Posts
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    The stupid side blinker is an example:
    Did it serve a function? No- but it's visible and a repeat saturn customer will likely notice.
    Very true. Disappointed me, and really disappointed my mother who--even though she already has an '08--thought that was a cheapo move. Really odd, too, because it was one of the "details" highlighted by GM particularly with the Malibu. There's a video with Lutz showing the Malibu and he points it out, as an example.

    It's small things...but you notice them. You really notice them if you knew the model a year earlier or are trading for a newer one, and hmm...things are missing. For the few dollars and cents saved for not installing a little light or a piece of trim, there's a savings, but in the end I've always thought it never made up for the disappointment of shoppers and even turn away of repeat sales.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

  17. #45
    4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,864
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Cost cutting WILL make a customer walk.

    Quote Originally Posted by coaster.n3rd View Post
    Or we could send her to you where she will get ****ed out of every dollar and leaves believing her car has extra insulation and probably something else you lied to her about.

    The problem is you don't listen at all. I noticed this when you suggested I turn up the radio and have the customer take a listen to drown out the road noise when I had said twice this customer wants peace & quiet.

    To add insult to your injury, he just signed his papers and walked out of here with an 08 made before May of this year (when the glass was deleted). It was actually my demo. Already this morning I have had 2 phone calls from referals of his before he even bought his car.

    I'm laughing at you McGarret.... all the way to the bank.
    Kudos bro. Honesty would have ensured that the customer will visit you again down the road when ready to buy.

    Case in point. I bought a pair of Adidas golf shoes at my local golf store the other day. I knew what brand I wanted right off the start. They only had 11 and 12 sizes on the rack. I tried the 11 and then asked if they had any 11.5 in stock. The owner told me they aren't made in half sizes. I found that very odd but I tried the 12 and they fit perfect. I came home and did some research on the shoes to find that they are in fact made in 11.5 size. So he lied to me. In the past month I had spent over $1000 on new irons, new driver, new bag and shoes at his store. He just lost a customer, for life.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2