cold air on a WS6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: cold air on a WS6

Thanks

cold air on a WS6

Does anyone know if adding a k&n cold air intake, for example, to a ws6 TA would add any power and be worth getting. Because I believe the dynos tests that k&n does are on stock TA's. So I was wondering if the ws6 upgraded intake would be the same as an after market and not add any power?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: cold air on a WS6

LS1s gain power by adding a lid. No point in messing with a cold air intake.
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe tests at the time revealed no real world power increase in the Ram Air until after the quarter mile had passed.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I wouldn't waste your money, unless you have done other upgrades to the engine.

Thanks

What year T/A?
    As posted on many forums the K&N only provides any performance benefits at wide open throttle. Not to mention the MAF sensor issues noted from over oiling.

The ws-6 option is as close to a "full tilt boogie" stock motor produced in several years of the Trans-Am. I believe they
    had a cold air intake from the factory in the last couple of years
    of the TA. IMO the only way to benefit this engine would be a PCM burn or handheld tuner to remove the few "nannies" that GM has added from the factory.
    Last edited by sonjaab; 03-11-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

Hasn't real world experience showed that gains from an airbox are mainly on modified engines ?? And I believe the latest WS6 intake packages were already better than the more convoluted SS intakes........ But if you're starting over, or making ECU mods I would use an airbox [K&N or other] .....it's cleaner looking under the hood too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JerryL View Post
    Hasn't real world experience showed that gains from an airbox are mainly on modified engines ??
    The airbox lids have been known to pick up 10 rwhp or more on stock LS1 cars. One of the magazines did a comparison on 8 different lids - they switched out lids and dynoed the car (Z28) after each switch and every time it picked up ~7+ rwhp over the stock power. That's pretty good for a $90 part.

K&N filters and cold air intakes are lucky to pick up 1 rwhp.

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E. Haskell View Post
    The airbox lids have been known to pick up 10 rwhp or more on stock LS1 cars. One of the magazines did a comparison on 8 different lids - they switched out lids and dynoed the car (Z28) after each switch and every time it picked up ~7+ rwhp over the stock power. That's pretty good for a $90 part.

K&N filters and cold air intakes are lucky to pick up 1 rwhp.
    Are you serious or are you joking? I've seen the benefit of a good intake on numerous runs on chassis dynos and 1hp gain is hardly the truth. Of course it depends on how restrictive the stock air intake is, but as you know an engine is basically an air pump. Restrict the incoming air and it won't be as efficient as it could possibly be.

To answer the original posters question, cars like the Z28 or T/A will benefit more than a 4 cyl econobox because of the air requirements for a V8, as well as the stock ducting in most cases is very restrictive. I didn't notice, but did you say what year your vehicle was?

Thanks

Go to LS1tech and ask why no one buys or suggests buying cold air intakes....answer: they're pretty much useless.

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by E. Haskell View Post
    Go to LS1tech and ask why no one buys or suggests buying cold air intakes....answer: they're pretty much useless.
    Its more dependant on what model year than anything. On the 93-97(LT1) the OE ducting is routed to the area behind the driver side headlight. The 98 and up(LS1) has the air cleaner directly on top of the radiator shroud. The earlier LT1 vehicles actually made great power with a proper intake. Seen it first hand on a dyno. 20hp increases at the wheels in those vehicles was common. The later LS1 vehicles weren't as restrictive, so increase in the area of 10hp should be easily attainable.

Now, let me say this, I'm not repeating someone elses marketing hype. This is first hand experience on a chassis dyno. Not just a few runs, but numerous runs on many different cars.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

You'd be happier buying an intake lid to rid the car of the baffles and whatnot that disrupt the airflow to the throttle body. A lid is cheaper but.....If you want a good CAI, look at the Volant twin cone setup. The 2 cone filters meet very close to the WS6 hood scoops. I've heard good things about this one. The K&N setup is substancially more expensive.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

Thanks

About the year i'm looking to buy a 1998 or 1999 and trying to figure out worthwhile upgrades. And what is this intake lid?

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information