GM Inside News Forum banner

Buying a 2008 Pontiac Vibe

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Butz 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase a 2008 Pontiac Vibe for $10,000 on the road. Is $10,000 a good price to pay?

#2 ·
Miles, options?

#3 ·
Oh YEAH!!! Ten large is a fine price to pay for this handy young wagon.
The car is soon to be 8 model years old. It cost $16,000 to $20,000+ new.

I'm seeing prices of $7000 on down with one optimist asking $9000.
http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

For another five to eight grand over your ten bills you can have a new Soul with a 5/60 and 10/100 warranty and no used car issues.

Best of luck in your search.

#5 ·
Doesn't a Toyota badge add $1,000 minimum?

#7 ·
If you are buying from a dealer, I would think around $8,000 would be fair. Private party, $1,000-$1,500 less.

#8 · (Edited)
#10 ·
I think you are painting yourself in too small of a box, if $10,000 is you budget, that is fine; you can certainly find a car within that budget, but then limiting yourself to only Toyota based GM's takes it a step too far......

Based on screen name you want a GM, based on your comments you want "Toyota Reliability" for low repair costs. Servicing at the Dealer, is not the low-cost option.

Additionally at some point age outweighs the "Toyota Reliability" real or perceived....... As it has been stated, you are looking at buying an 8 year old car.

Lastly; not that this is relative today, but in 2008/2009 when the economy was in the tank and GM was pulling the plug on Pontiac, for a short time I considered buying a modestly optioned Vibe new, as they were being sold for about $14,000.

Good Luck,
Ed

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
KBB.com tends to agree with the other posters here. This is a very miles example, but that might represent a premium in the hundreds, not thousands, of dollars. According to KBB.com, the car you are looking at is $8K tops, not 10K. There are other Vibes out there.

#12 ·
"Doesn't a Toyota badge add $1,000 minimum?"

Maybe in some areas. When I bought my '05 there were lots of Vibes but almost no Matrix around St Louis, really hard to make a fair comparison. But from what I saw I would have believed $500. I'm not generally a Pontiac fan but the Vibe's styling appealed to me a lot more than the Matrix.

GM, if you are sticking with your budget to buy with cash then good on you, stick with it. But I think that's a pretty high premium for the low miles. Maybe you can bargain it down a thou or so. Or move up a year or two.

#14 · (Edited)
the Matrix/vibe are a very good car and yes the "Toyota" reliability thing applies to them
IMHO I would go to the Toyota DEALER NOT the GM dealer as it is essentially a Toyota BUT @ 8 years old NO dealer will be "thrilled" to work on it and the aftermarket shops will offer better prices and as quick parts availability + BETTER repairs as that is what they work on day in and day out

to me the price is "optimistic" for a NON AWD/GT version and as posted should be closer to 8K

I would check for a used soul a base may be had for 10K range and retain SOME warranty and is NOT an "orphan car"
or a SCION xB assuming a "city utility" type of thing is your requirement
the early xB is a bit of a sh&T box as it is based on the ECHO, the second gen is based on the Camry drive train which has plenty of spares available in the USA

and 10K is closer to a 2012 model

#15 ·
Yikes, seems a bit pricey. I loved my Vibe, but would have a tough time coughing up 10 grand for one today.

On a strange note, I once went to the Pontiac dealership to buy wheel lugs for winter tires. They wanted $20 (not a typo, $20.00) per lug! The parts guy shrugged and said 'If I were you I'd go to Toyota and get lugs for a Matrix'. I did, and they were around $2.00 each. The GM parts guy couldn't explain why they were so expensive, but I appreciated him sending me elsewhere!

#16 ·
Weird but pretty much SOP from my many trips to dealer parts counters over the years.

(It sounds like Toyota figured out at least part of it. I wonder what other parts prices are like.)

Someone up the chain either doesn't understand how to move merchandise, or doesn't give a crap. So you can get a 15" or 16" steel wheel that would be fitty to seventy bucks at TR or DT. Dealer wants $180-$200. Oh yeah!

If you sell 12 wheels at a $20 profit, vs. one wheel at a $130 profit, which do you do? Which generates more floor traffic? Goodwill? Exasperation?

Too weird for words. :confused:

So, OP, what's the status of the hunt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.