Autoblog's 10 Worst Pontiacs of All Time

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autoblog's 10 Worst Pontiacs of All Time

Thanks

Autoblog's 10 Worst Pontiacs of All Time

Chris Shunk of Autoblog has graced us with a retrospective on Pontiac's worse products during its lengthy existence.

Did your pick make the list? Find out at:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/28/t...s-of-all-time/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Autoblog's 10 Worst Pontiacs of All Time

I don't think the pre-SV6 Montana was that bad, I would put some other models above it. The Montana actually offered a little more in the way of improved "sportiness" over the Venture than some other Pontiac rebadges - sure, your standard G3 may add foglights and red interior illumination, but the Montana had a tachometer while the Venture didn't, and both the G3/Aveo had a tachometer.

The SUV-style cladding of the Montana they ripped on was actually an option on the '97-98 Trans Sport and became standard because of the popularity of the Montana appearance package, IIRC.

We had a used '03 Montana, and relative to the other minivans of the time when the basic model was introduced ('97) it wasn't as terrible as some have said the GM vans of that era were. We didn't choose the Pontiac because it was a Pontiac, though - we likely would have chosen it if it were a similarly equipped and priced Venture or Silhouette instead.

There are other models I'd put ahead of the Montana, which was OK in its day (when introduced in '97). The '05 SV6 update, not so much.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Three that LEAP into my mind are:

That dreadful Daewoo based "LeMans" way back when that was painfully embarassing.
    The Aztek.
    That dreadful Aveo-based (I forget what IT is based on) G3 that IS painfully embarassing.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

From the list, I won't put Aztek, Sunbird(my very first car which never broke down for 90K miles before I sold it to my co-worker, despite couple of accidents I had involved with it), and Sunfire in there. I know, I have a grotesque taste in automobile, and I personally liked the look of the Aztek, while all of you here despise it. My 10 worst Pontiacs are(Flame me, sue me whatever, since it will be vastly different than any of you and no-one will agree with me)

From worst to the lessor(From my most hated to the lessor):

1. Holden G8
    2. Holden GTO
    3. Toyota Vibe
    4. Daewoo G3
    5. Daewoo LeMans
    6. Suzuki Firefly
    7. Chevy Torrent
    8. Chevy G5
    9. Chevy T-1000

That's it. I just don't like imports and rebadges of the Crapvolet, that will NEVER change. No offense to the fan of Chevy, Holden, Toyota, Suzuki, or Daewoo(IF there is any fan, I doubt it)
    Hidden Content

Also, sign up on my new, Pontiac tribute site, let your voice be heard at:
    Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Good G-d, how could anyone leave off the '77-'81 fullsizers? Those were tons of rolling eyeache with miles of mylar "chrome" accents, brushed aluminium "applique panels", padded landau tops, octagon-shaped hood ornaments...

Sporty indeed.

Or how sucky was EVERY pre-1955 Pontiac? They made Plymouths and Nashes look racy.

• The first Sunbirds. An "Economy" car with a 3.8-litre V6 engine? Brilliant.
    • The Fiero. Awesome concept... awesome looks... appalling application. Turn the key and the sound of that "Tech IV". Gag. It was like Salma Hayek opening her mouth... and James Earl Jones' voice emanating. Both are sure-fire "boner repellent".
    • Oh G-d... '78-'87 Grand Prix. Once again, GM's "sporty" division served up lashings of chrome, wire wheels, opera windows, puffy-pillow bench seats and all sorts of other "performance" goodies that just make the mouth water.
    • '88-'96 Grand Prix. While the best-looking of the W-bodies... it was a W-body. 'nuff said.
    • Canadian Chevy clones: Acadian, Sunburst, Sunrunner, Firefly, Tempest. Seriously Canada, you suck.
    • Early 70s "Luxury LeMans" (so the world would know you were driving something superior to a mere "Grand LeMans"). Maybe those "rich, luxury" fender skirts are what gave it such breathtaking "performance."
    • Parisienne. It was bad enough GM had to build the thing to ship to Canada, but they had to foist it on America too. And who can forget just how beautifully that Caprice front clip married to that 80/81 Pontiac rear body?
    • 1993-to whocares Firebird Trans Am. I've seen pimps decorate their cars with less festoonery. If Mr. T was a car... he'd be a Trans Am. It's the ultimate guidomobile. The ultimate Chestwig-Chariot. It's a double-wide with a widescreen TV inside. It's the dream car of Joey Tribbiani. Jeeze even the Gotti kids drive BMWs. That says it all...

Last edited by t-rex; 04-28-2009 at 08:12 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Pontiac T1000. My mom had one of those. It was her first car, a brand new 1981. We got rid of it when I was only 4 for a new 1992 Taurus, but I still have vivid memories of it. A person probably ought not to have vivid memories of a car that was sold when they were 4.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Good G-d, how could anyone leave off the '77-'81 fullsizers? Those were tons of rolling eyeache with miles of mylar "chrome" accents, brushed aluminium "applique panels", padded landau tops, octagon-shaped hood ornaments...

Sporty indeed.

Or how sucky was EVERY pre-1955 Pontiac? They made Plymouths and Nashes look racy.

• The first Sunbirds. An "Economy" car with a 3.8-litre V6 engine? Brilliant.
    • The Fiero. Awesome concept... awesome looks... appalling application. Turn the key and the sound of that "Tech IV". Gag. It was like Salma Hayek opening her mouth... and James Earl Jones' voice emanating. Both are sure-fire "boner repellent".
    • Oh G-d... '78-'87 Grand Prix. Once again, GM's "sporty" division served up lashings of chrome, wire wheels, opera windows, puffy-pillow bench seats and all sorts of other "performance" goodies that just make the mouth water.
    • '88-'96 Grand Prix. While the best-looking of the W-bodies... it was a W-body. 'nuff said.
    • Canadian Chevy clones: Acadian, Sunburst, Sunrunner, Firefly, Tempest. Seriously Canada, you suck.
    • Early 70s "Luxury LeMans" (so the world would know you were driving something superior to a mere "Grand LeMans"). Maybe those "rich, luxury" fender skirts are what gave it such breathtaking "performance."
    • Parisienne. It was bad enough GM had to build the thing to ship to Canada, but they had to foist it on America too. And who can forget just how beautifully that Caprice front clip married to that 80/81 Pontiac rear body?
    • 1993-to whocares Firebird Trans Am. I've seen pimps decorate their cars with less festoonery. If Mr. T was a car... he'd be a Trans Am. It's the ultimate guidomobile. The ultimate Chestwig-Chariot. It's a double-wide with a widescreen TV inside. It's the dream car of Joey Tribbiani. Jeeze even the Gotti kids drive BMWs. That says it all...

Where you raised to be a complete ******* or did you learn it all by yourself?

I have never seen anyone put more effort into putting down GM cars and the people who supposedly drive them. Seriously, what are you thinking when you spew **** like this?

Judging from the lack of responses to your posts it sure seems that you are # at something here at GMI--the ignore list. You don't seem to arouse the audience like you once did. Maybe some have wised up, maybe some see you for what you are, but I am done with your nonsense. Add one more "ignore" to the count.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Why didn't they just call the article "See, GM could never build a good small car."
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-70 View Post
    Where you raised to be a complete ******* or did you learn it all by yourself?

I have never seen anyone put more effort into putting down GM cars and the people who supposedly drive them. Seriously, what are you thinking when you spew **** like this?

Judging from the lack of responses to your posts it sure seems that you are # at something here at GMI--the ignore list. You don't seem to arouse the audience like you once did. Maybe some have wised up, maybe some see you for what you are, but I am done with your nonsense. Add one more "ignore" to the count.
    This is a "10 worst Pontiacs of all time" thread.

You Pontiac guys bash the hell out of Saturn and then act out when someone has a negative view of your cherished brand.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,574 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    You Pontiac guys bash the hell out of Saturn and then act out when someone has a negative view of your cherished brand.
    +1.

It's fine to bash other people's favorite divisions, but when Pontiac's going away, it's the freaking apocalypse.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GrandPrix08 View Post
    From the list, I won't put Aztek, Sunbird(my very first car which never broke down for 90K miles before I sold it to my co-worker, despite couple of accidents I had involved with it), and Sunfire in there. I know, I have a grotesque taste in automobile, and I personally liked the look of the Aztek, while all of you here despise it. My 10 worst Pontiacs are(Flame me, sue me whatever, since it will be vastly different than any of you and no-one will agree with me)

From worst to the lessor(From my most hated to the lessor):

1. Holden G8
    2. Holden GTO
    3. Toyota Vibe
    4. Daewoo G3
    5. Daewoo LeMans
    6. Suzuki Firefly
    7. Chevy Torrent
    8. Chevy G5
    9. Chevy T-1000

That's it. I just don't like imports and rebadges of the Crapvolet, that will NEVER change. No offense to the fan of Chevy, Holden, Toyota, Suzuki, or Daewoo(IF there is any fan, I doubt it)
    I see most of your products listed and understand, but the Torrent, g8 and GTO were/are nice cars. The GTO brought back American muscle, the G8 was basically the GTO we needed, except with a couple of extra doors, and we own an Equinox, so the Torrent couldn't be any better/worse in my understanding. I understand your hate for the rebadges and imports, but that's all Pontiac was anyway.
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Taglane's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Or how sucky was EVERY pre-1955 Pontiac? They made Plymouths and Nashes look racy.[/LIST]
    Everything car related pre-1960 was awesome, IMO. I'd give [almost] anything to own a car that's pre-1955. Everything's a classic, and nothing like the turds of the 80's.
    Hidden Content
    Don't hate. Appreciate.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 87silver's Avatar
    Thanks

Even thinking of Pontiac's worst models brings back fond memories.

I think that the Astre was the clone of the Vega, but does anyone recall what the Pontiac model was that was the clone of the Chevette?

Thanks

That would be the Pontiac t-1000

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

They missed the absolute King of the category...

1989 Pontiac Firefly, preferably in four-door form, with the automatic tranny mated to the 3-cyl 1.0 liter Suzuki engine.

That HAS to be the MOST PATHETIC Pontiac to ever put its wheels on pavement in the history of the brand. No contest.

Although it probably was more reliable than the Astre or 1980-1984 Phoenix.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast