Are all new G6's Rattle Traps or just my POS?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are all new G6's Rattle Traps or just my POS?

Thanks

Are all new G6's Rattle Traps or just my POS?

Every day I get in here, I wish I could take it back. I have 735 miles on the odometer and it's already been "fixed" by the dealer once. I'm driving down a state highway and the rattle is non-stop. Shouldn't be posting from my PDA, but I figure a tree or ditch incident would shut this thing up. I have owned three f-bodies that I've tracked and autocrossed and tbey were/are not anywhere close to being as noisy. It's coming from a few different spots too. Worse, my incompetent dealer not only didn't fix the rattle, when they replaced the seat that was delivered with a rip, they gave the car back with the seat belt unscrewed from the floor and gouges in the inner door sill that they initially denied making. The new leather seat cover is looser than the original and honest to God, the service advisor told me it would probably tighten up over time. I thought GM had changed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC pontiacjs's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Are all new G6's Rattle Traps or just my POS?

It is just your car. I have delivered several hundred G6s and had very few with rattles. Infact, I tell most of my customers that one of the best atributes of the G6 is how quiet they are.

Take the service director for a drive and pointe out all of the noises you hear and they should get you taken care of.

While it is in service grab your salesperson and ask them to pull up a new one and drive that to confirm.

Good luck.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,030 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Lemon law the crap and move on.

3 times the car is repaired and not fixed and you get to turn the car back in.

No one should be that unhappy with a new car.

JMO
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I had a rattley G6 (from the Panoramic Sunroof). They fixed it according to a TSB and the rattle did diminish, but then the windnoise increased. Sigh. One of the many reasons I sold my car off to CarMax after less than a year of owning it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

I have an 06 that has 20,000 miles and is rattle free. If I hit a really big bump or some washboards or something it has a couple of rattles ( but I think every car does if you hit something hard enough ) but other than that it is actually a pretty quiet car.
    Current Whips:
    1979 Chevy K10 Stepside (350 4-spd, waiting to be restored)
    2006 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 (Z71, 80,000 mi, leather,5.3 )
    2007 Kawasaki KLX 250 (street legal dual sport, 70 mpg, woo hoo!)
    2011 Dodge Charger (3.6 V6)

Thanks

I had an early 2005 G6 GT for nearly three years and the only noises I ever had were from the panoramic roof. Otherwise it was very quiet and solid. It really just sounds like yours is an oddball, not that that makes your situation any better. If feasible for you, try another dealer.

Thanks

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CanadianGMGuy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Camaro

yep, propably just your car, my mom had a 2005 G6, rattle free all the way up to 110,000KM when in got traded in.
    2014 - Chevrolet Camaro 1lt
    2013 - Chevrolet Trax 1lt
    1978 - Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

My friend's G6 coupe is rattle free.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

The Pontiac G6 I had and have disposed of became a rattle trap about 9 months into ownership. There were squeaks in the dash, the standard non-panoramic sunroof, and the doors.

It was terrible.

I don't know about the coupes or convertibles, but the sedans are junk.

Pontiac G6 has got to be the worst thing to come out of Detroit in a long time.
    Anyone who claims to like the G6 is a complete fool, IMHO.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    The Pontiac G6 I had and have disposed of became a rattle trap about 9 months into ownership. There were squeaks in the dash, the standard non-panoramic sunroof, and the doors.

It was terrible.

Hmmm.................20,000 miles, absolutely zero problems. The only time my car has been in the shop is for an oil change. No rattles, no nothing. Yes I have a sedan, and yes I have a sunroof too. A nice solid daily driver for
    $17,000 that isn't an econobox, but yeah I am a fool for liking it.

Is it the best car? No

Is it the worst car? Absolutely not.

But your opinion is what matters.
    Current Whips:

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC pontiacjs's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post

It was terrible.

Thank God that most people do not share your opinion.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 goblue's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pontiacjs View Post
    Thank God that most people do not share your opinion.
    I do. It was the best of old GM. Take a great idea, sporty look, long wheelbase then let the beancounters at it. Stuff a cheap engine, old tranny in it and cost cut the interior to sub Kia levels. Then, hope a publicity stunt and advertising the heck out of a few silly options will make it desireable. The convertible execution is the same way. Hope the power hardtop will make everyone forget how bad the rest of the car is. Drive a G6 Vert and an Eos back to back. I did.

I knew it was garbage from the first minute behind then wheel. It embodies the mass exodus away from American midsize cars. Fortunately, GM changed - but it will take a long time for the public to realize it - or even care.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post
    I do. It was the best of old GM. Take a great idea, sporty look, long wheelbase then let the beancounters at it. Stuff a cheap engine, old tranny in it and cost cut the interior to sub Kia levels. Then, hope a publicity stunt and advertising the heck out of a few silly options will make it desireable. The convertible execution is the same way. Hope the power hardtop will make everyone forget how bad the rest of the car is. Drive a G6 Vert and an Eos back to back. I did.

I knew it was garbage from the first minute behind then wheel. It embodies the mass exodus away from American midsize cars. Fortunately, GM changed - but it will take a long time for the public to realize it - or even care.
    And the truth is spoken!
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Charger

Quote Originally Posted by goblue View Post

Why is it garbage? Its not the best car in the world but it is definitely not garbage. I love how if a car has a few things it could improve on it is immediately labeled as garbage.

Old tranny? It is the same tranny they use today in almost every other GM car. Yes they have been using it for a long time but there is nothing wrong with it other than it has 4 gears. The new 6-speeds are out and they don't get any better mileage............so the 6 speeds aren't any better.

As for the cheap engine? Cheap engines usually mean they are cheap to fix as well. By the way, I would rather have the 3.5 than the pig of a 3.6 anyday. There is nothing wrong with the 3.5.

As for the interior? Yeah, it is cheap hard plastic but I kind of like it. Super easy to clean and no other interior looks like it. It is very unique. I am actually sick of every honda, toyota, and nissan interior being almost identical. Besides they cost a lot more anyways.

I bought my loaded G6 new for $17,000 after incentives. That is really hard to beat for a midsize car.

If you want luxury, go buy a luxury car. I am sick of people trashing the car expecting it to be of $30000 quality.

Have fun with all the reliability issues with your VW.
    Current Whips:

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information