'89 Turbo Trans Am

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: '89 Turbo Trans Am

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

'89 Turbo Trans Am

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3281147750.html

This one looks really good. Less than 700 miles. I'm thinking about taking a look at it. Price seems very good at $27,500.

Opinions?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 W.A.F.U.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Good price, great car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Uzzy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: '89 Turbo Trans Am

WOW! That's a beautiful car!
    Speramus Meliora; Resurget Cineribus
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.
    'Ich bin ein Detroiter'

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Chris Buckley, president of CAW Local 222
    General Motors is the enemy, brothers and sisters

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    Thanks

3rd gen Firebirds are way up on the list of my all-time favorites, and the '89 TTA is the king of that line.

This is really tempting.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,160 Times in 3,253 Posts

Good price on a rare, low miles, 3rd gen.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Boy would I love to have one of those...

Thanks

NICE find. GO FOR IT!!
    16 Garnet Red 1LT RS Camaro 6SPD
    14 Torch Red 1LT Corvette 455HP 7SPD
    14 Crystal Red Volt w/heated cloth
    10 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS 426HP 6SPD "MAIDEN" (TOTALED!)
    09 Stryker Blue Pontiac G8 GT w/sport/prem/sunroof
    06 GTO 400HP LS2 6SPD(traded)
    02 Firebird Formula LS1 HURST 6SPD(1st new car)
    83 El Camino Conquista 350(RIP G8 ST) Hidden Content

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

I dreamt of owning one of these when they came out, but munchkins precluded swapping my 84 for an 89, though I wish I had anyway .

I thought it was brilliant of Pontiac to drop Buick's 3.8l Grand National engine into that car. It made it stupid fast.

Although I'd be tempted I'm too old to be getting into a car that low to the ground. Nothing elegant or sexy about a middle-aged dude crawling out of a car.

I'm hoping someone realizes how rare those cars are and snaps it up. 700 miles. Wow. If you're truly into it, and it checks out clean, go for it -- assuming you can get in and out of the car elegantly .
    "Christians should not hold dumb opinions about the natural world based solely on misreadings of the Bible, especially opinions that can be demonstrably falsified by Reason, lest the Faith be subject to ridicule and mockery." -- St. Augustine of Hippo.

"Stop being dicks to the poor." Pope Francis, paraphrased.

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zete View Post
    I dreamt of owning one of these when they came out, but munchkins precluded swapping my 84 for an 89, though I wish I had anyway .

I thought it was brilliant of Pontiac to drop Buick's 3.8l Grand National engine into that car. It made it stupid fast.

Although I'd be tempted I'm too old to be getting into a car that low to the ground. Nothing elegant or sexy about a middle-aged dude crawling out of a car.

I'm hoping someone realizes how rare those cars are and snaps it up. 700 miles. Wow. If you're truly into it, and it checks out clean, go for it -- assuming you can get in and out of the car elegantly .
    I'm too old for it too, but I don't care. I try not to look too arthritic getting in an out of the Camaro, and this one is lower.

The price has actually dropped from $29,500 to $27,500.

I got an e-mail from him. He's the 3rd owner. It was originally one of two bought by a collector, who passed away. The collector's son wanted money more than the car and that's when the current owner acquired it. The current guy has a kid heading to college in the future and is looking to gather some money. He's driven the car a little and trailered it to a show in Ohio last year where it won 1st prize in the 3rd gen stock category. It hasn't been driven since he replaced the fuel pump last year.

If I didn't have my Camaro, I'd buy it now. I'd need to clear that space in my garage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/3281147750.html

This one looks really good. Less than 700 miles. I'm thinking about taking a look at it. Price seems very good at $27,500.

Opinions?
    Some free advice from someone who works in the classic car market (): If you can afford it, buy it! That's a great price on one of these with such low miles. The car, at the very least, warrants an in person examination. These Firebirds, along with almost all Ponchos, are gaining in value very rapidly, not to mention it being ultra-cool already. There are a few of these Anniversary T/A's with low, low miles. I've seen them sell in the mid-high $30k's... And that's with these later Turbo T/A's being relatively obscure. They came and went without really making a street reputation as many who purchased them put them in the garage and rarely drove them hard...

With the original window sticker, owner's box (which should include pace car decals), and sun shades, combined with the mileage, this car is not only a good buy, but a great buy!

Best wishes...

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

It might be a great investment, even at this price. They are likely the fastest of the third-gens, and still reasonably quick by modern standards. My only pause would be that it would be a shame to drive it and add a lot of miles at this point. Yet, NOT driving a car like this is absolutely no fun! Are you interested in being the caretaker of what may become a valuable artifact of factory muscle? If not, you might be happier with a less-preserved version; you won't kill the value by actually enjoying it as it was designed to be enjoyed (i.e. full boost, foot-to-floor!).

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    It might be a great investment, even at this price. They are likely the fastest of the third-gens, and still reasonably quick by modern standards. My only pause would be that it would be a shame to drive it and add a lot of miles at this point. Yet, NOT driving a car like this is absolutely no fun! Are you interested in being the caretaker of what may become a valuable artifact of factory muscle? If not, you might be happier with a less-preserved version; you won't kill the value by actually enjoying it as it was designed to be enjoyed (i.e. full boost, foot-to-floor!).
    Some of the old road tests ran 4.5 seconds 0-60, so really even more than reasonably quick by today's standards. Pontiac's official 250HP rating was pretty much laughed at by reviewers. The V-8 Trans Am in the last 3rd gens claimed about the same HP and were nowhere near as quick.

If my two-car garage wasn't full, I'd buy this. Since it is, this a long shot. If I bought it, I'd probably put 3,000 miles or so a year on it. I couldn't resist. But I can see the point as an investment. In some places, perhaps outside of Pittsburgh, I think the seller could already do much better.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Consensus is the car is worth the money, hands down. I agree.

Probably all on the up and up. But I'd still be careful. I've seen too many scams on Craigslist. If I owned the car and wanted to get top dollar (to put a kid thru college) it almost surely will bring more thru Ebay or a top notch auction, even after fees.

Best of luck to you.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information