3rd Gen F-body experts! Need some advice! Thinking of purchasing a modified '87 T/A

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen F-body experts! Need some advice! Thinking of purchasing a modified '87 T/A

Thanks

3rd Gen F-body experts! Need some advice! Thinking of purchasing a modified '87 T/A

I went to go take a look at a 1987 Trans Am earlier today. It is a Canadian car with 190k on everything but the motor. It is an automatic car, T-Tops, fabric seating, etc. From a visual inspection, there seems to be surface rust on parts of the underbody (repainted twice, originally red, then med blue, now dark blue). There are no leaks in the T-Tops or windows (had a HEAVY rainfall, and waited till right after to go see it). The car started first crank.

So, I have a few general 3rd gen questions:
    Where are the F-bodies rust-prone?
    Weak points in the driveline?
    Difference between 'Performance package" and not "Performance package"? (looking up brake parts, there seems to be two choices, one having the performance pads 3 times the cost of the non-performance pads)
    How are they electrically? Any common glitches?

And a few questions/notes that are vehicle specific:
    He indicated that the motor was from a 73 vehicle (SBC), with 305 heads, gear-drive for the cam, upgraded camshaft, Rochester carburetor, what appeared to be stock block-hugger exhaust manifold, and a 2.5inch exhaust. It is mated to the 700R4 trans. He has S-10 springs in the front, stock rear.

Should I be weary of any of the above? The motor has a nice idle, and sounds great, and doesn't make any uncommon noises when I poked my head under the hood.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 3rd Gen F-body experts! Need some advice! Thinking of purchasing a modified '87 T

The weak line in the driveline is definitely the 7 3/4" rear-end. It will hold up to about 400HP, but I suggest switching it out with a 9". The performance package you speak of is the WS6 package. I believe all the TPI cars came with it. The front wheels and rear wheels should have different offsets if the package was installed.

Thanks

Re: 3rd Gen F-body experts! Need some advice! Thinking of purchasing a modified '87 T

Where are the F-bodies rust-prone?
    Fairly much everywhere, especially if it was a VN Cali built car!

Weak points in the driveline?
    some trans problems at higher mileage especially OD, and speedo guage/cable problems! Few rear end problems, especially after upgrades!

How are they electrically? Any common glitches
    Guage problems are common, as are climate controls. And the electric trunk pull motor goes pretty quickly! As do window and lock motors, but they are easy fixes!!

Difference between 'Performance package" and not "Performance package"?
    WS6, they have a larger disc brakes at all 4 corners. Non-WS6 cars are disc/drums

Sounds like it's probably a decent car, especially if its a good price!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Thanks for the tips!

It is a non-performance package, as it had rear drums.
    It seems like an electronically sound car. The only issue it appeared to have was the wiper stalk (he had an extra one that he said he would install), and the massively annoying sub setup.

The car is priced at $3500, which seems to be about where the market is for a car in this condition, probably a bit better price than average.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

3rd gens rust in the door jams sometimes as well as rear quarter panels. Driveline weakness would be the rear end first and foremost. Too much power to stock rear ends will scatter them like a dropped bag of marbles. Next would be transmission issues on ones that have been beaten to hell and back. I've seen 3rd gens with tons of electrical issues and I've seen ones that are 100% solid. Common problems I've seen are headlight motors (most common), window motors, faulty gas gauges, and broken cruise controls. I would be really wary about any sports car that old. Definently go over it with a fine tooth comb. I'd even stash some "fix it" money away for any future issues it may have. Assuming its not a DD car, I'd snatch it up in a heart beat just to have a play toy. Its too hard to find solid 3rd gens these days.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
    Thanks for the tips!

It is a non-performance package, as it had rear drums.
    It seems like an electronically sound car. The only issue it appeared to have was the wiper stalk (he had an extra one that he said he would install), and the massively annoying sub setup.

The car is priced at $3500, which seems to be about where the market is for a car in this condition, probably a bit better price than average.
    I bought a '90 Formula new in 1990. Drove it for about 8 years, 167K miles. I did have the turn signal stalk break at around 150K miles and had it replaced. Other than that, I had absolutely no issue and no rust whatsoever. This one was a 5.0 liter with throttle body injection. Not particularly powerful, but a great-looking, fun car. It had the performance suspension. Brakes were drums in back.

Being a 3rd gen fan, I bought another '90 Formula a little over five years ago. It had 57K miles on it. Paid $5,400 for it, and it was the best $5,400 I've ever spent. I have had the a/c retrofitted and the heater core replaced, total cost $700. Outside of normal tires/brakes/oil change maintenance, I've had no issues. It's up to 110K miles now and runs great; I still take it on out-of-town trips. Cosmetically, the spoiler is pretty well shot and I'll probably replace it (wraparound) with just a basic straight wing spoiler that the base Firebirds had. I am starting to see a tiny bit of surface rust on the bottom of the drivers door and in one of the wheel wells, but I should be able to arrest that pretty easily. This car has the 5.0 liter engine with TPI.

I know they didn't have great reputations, but my two 3rd gens were both absolutely bulletproof and reliable. I haven't had the the problems described by a previous poster with any of the electrical parts. All of my gauges on both cars were/are original, as well as the power mirror and window motors and the rear hatch pulldown.

By the way, WS6 Formulas come with disc/drum brakes, which is what both my cars have had. WS6 Trans Ams are disc/disc.
    Last edited by ksr; 06-13-2008 at 09:46 PM.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

ksr
    Thanks

Oh actually I have had to repair both headlight motors on my current '90. I don't think you can buy new ones anymore. But, what typically happens is that the bushing inside the motors literally disintegrate. You can take apart the motors and replace the bushings for pennies. Very easy job.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar demonspeed's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    By the way, WS6 Formulas come with disc/drum brakes, which is what both my cars have had. WS6 Trans Ams are disc/disc.

J65 is the rear disc RPO. Not all T/A's would have had the rear disc.
    Current: '15 GMC Acadia SLE|'08 G8 GT
    Former: '12 Malibu LTZ|'08 G6 GT|'07 TrailBlazer LS|'05 GTO|'02 Camaro SS|'01 Camaro Z28|'00 Camaro SS|'97 Tahoe LT|'91 Camaro Z28|'89 Camaro IROC-Z
    Past Digressions: '02 Cougar V6 Sport Ultimate|'94 Grand Cherokee Laredo|'93 Mustang GT

See all my [fun] vehicles here:
    Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

thirdgen.org is the best source for third gen info on this planet. Its a no-nonsense site that is a wealth of info, and there is also a message forum there where you can ask questions. All third gen owners end up there at some point in thier life.

As for finding a clean third gen, enjoy it and have fun. They are very easy to mod as there are a decent amount of aftermarket performance parts for the car. It sounds like that motor was put together with what spare parts he had lying around...that can never be good.
    If you have state inspection, make sure it passes that. Id bring it to a shop and have them look it over to make sure there are no major problems with brakes or driveline.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctaylorzl1 View Post
    Fairly much everywhere, especially if it was a VN Cali built car!

some trans problems at higher mileage especially OD, and speedo guage/cable problems! Few rear end problems, especially after upgrades!

Guage problems are common, as are climate controls. And the electric trunk pull motor goes pretty quickly! As do window and lock motors, but they are easy fixes!!

WS6, they have a larger disc brakes at all 4 corners. Non-WS6 cars are disc/drums

Sounds like it's probably a decent car, especially if its a good price!
    Mines not a t/a but your dead on, as the trannie was rebuilt at 113k, the speedo went out (turned out to be a line). The rear end, trans, and electric controls/sensors are weak points to 3rd gens. Stock engines (through the 3rd gen line) if properly taken care of, are actually the most reliable part of the car.
    Hidden Content

Rocket88 - "There is a fine line between paying for exclusivity and paying for stupidity."...

Autoblog - In response to luxury cars not optioned with dipsticks anymore...
    - "so, does this also mean the death of turn signals? People dont use them either."Hidden Content

Thanks

if the motor is not original I would try to bring the price down. Modding a car may cost money but it actually lowers the value of the car. And with gas prices like they are I would try to get a lower price. My WS6 Formula 350 has disc/disc, and one note you will want to put subframe connectors on the car, it will stiffen it up a whole lot, something that is needed.

Thanks

Hmmmmmm............With sooooo may 3rd generation Zs and TAs around
    why bother with a cobbled up repainted time bomb??????????
    2 yrs. ago I picked up a one owner 84 Z-28 305 ho auto with t-tops and
    power everything for $1500 bucks. Sure it had a bad trans. needed brakes,
    tires and a headliner but the body was mint and rust free and the seats
    and carpet were nice since it was from NC.
    A bud rebuilt the trans. for less than $150, the headliner kit was $100,
    brakes cost $100 and a nice set of Goodyear white letter tires were $200
    added a few odds n' ends like a tune up a few new hoses and a little TLC
    and have a fine summer fun toy to play with for less than $2200 bucks!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

Being in Canada where cars cost more, I'm guessing $3500 is probably like $2500 down here.
    "But you are right, the Camaro gives the most bang for the buck" - Simon says

"Despite all the hype surrounding Ford's new twin-turbo, all-wheel drive sport sedan, our long-term Pontiac G8 GT would put it on the trailer." - Edmunds

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

But, being in Canada you can still find the occasional one-owner sports car that was put away winters and is still in pretty nice shape.

I agree with the poster who said that a modded car is a bit of a risk. Particularly when the mods seem a bit weird. Why go with gear drive for the cam (great for high RPM engines ... and some people like the noise) but stick with the relatively restrictive 305 heads? I don't believe the 305 existed in 1973, so it may be a 350 (or a 307). Your lucky that it is a '87 and won't have to pass Ontario's emmissions test as it would likely fail.

Find a nice, clean, stock 3rd gen, preferrably one that was well cared for. For example, a very quick look on Autotrader found this 1989 T/A with the 350 TPI and 165,000 kms for $2700 -- http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details....ADS=7021675%7C

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sonjaab View Post
    Hmmmmmm............With sooooo may 3rd generation Zs and TAs around
    why bother with a cobbled up repainted time bomb??????????
    2 yrs. ago I picked up a one owner 84 Z-28 305 ho auto with t-tops and
    power everything for $1500 bucks. Sure it had a bad trans. needed brakes,
    tires and a headliner but the body was mint and rust free and the seats
    and carpet were nice since it was from NC.
    A bud rebuilt the trans. for less than $150, the headliner kit was $100,
    brakes cost $100 and a nice set of Goodyear white letter tires were $200
    added a few odds n' ends like a tune up a few new hoses and a little TLC
    and have a fine summer fun toy to play with for less than $2200 bucks!

I tend to agree. 3rd gens aren't that rare. You can get one with far lower mileage and in very good condition for a better price than this one. Just hunt around a bit.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information