1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA | Retro Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA | Retro Review

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,107 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA | Retro Review

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (12-30-2017),GMTruckGuy74 (11-05-2017),Murrow (10-09-2017),Z284ever (10-09-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Re: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am GTA | Retro Review

The key line for me.
    ....it's still one of the roomiest cockpits in a sports coupe.
    The 3rd-Gen F-Cars were downright airy and spacious compared to the offerings today.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I'm at work so I can't watch the video. I rememer that refresh, the front clip and the slash along the bottom side did not look right on the otherwise unchanged sheet metal. It looked like they were trying to bridge the look to the upcomming next generation (that didn't look all that good to me). Still fun cars though!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I'm at work so I can't watch the video. I rememer that refresh, the front clip and the slash along the bottom side did not look right on the otherwise unchanged sheet metal. It looked like they were trying to bridge the look to the upcomming next generation (that didn't look all that good to me). Still fun cars though!
    I was OK with the front end, although I liked the older version better. What I despised were the side skirts, especially as they looked from the back, as they did not wrap around.

I agree it looked like they were trying to bridge the two generations. I also was never a big fan of the 4th gen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Murrow For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-09-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,975 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
    I was OK with the front end, although I liked the older version better. What I despised were the side skirts, especially as they looked from the back, as they did not wrap around.

I agree it looked like they were trying to bridge the two generations. I also was never a big fan of the 4th gen.
    Back then GM rarely did mid-cycle refreshes well. Always seemed like the current gen was the best design and the refresh was the 2nd best design. Sunbird, Cavlier, above Firebird and so on, all their refreshes did not look as good as the original.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Murrow (10-09-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,118 Posts

The 2nd gen TA is an American icon! No matter how many air scoops, air dams, wings, and skirts they put on the later generations it just never had the grace of the Camaro, nor the in your face aspects of the 70's TAs. I loved the old Pontiacs, Grand Prix, Bonneville, GTO, Le Mans, and yes Trans Am, but nothing they did with the Firebird after the 2nd gen interested me. They always looked like they were trying too hard while the Camaro looked comfortable in it's skin.

To me 2nd Gen F-Body was defined by the Trans Am, the Camaro owned 1st, 3rd, and 4th gens and it wasn't even close.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SP1966 For This Useful Post:

sonjaab (10-09-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Chevy Cruze Premier

Not a fan of the nose cone - give me a '90 GTA - Id love ot own one of these for 3 months to have fun and reminisce - I always liked the Pontiac versions compared to the Chevy counterparts.
    ------------
    Goochman

2018 Chevy Cruze Premier RS
    2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
    2014 Ford Explorer Limited

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

A nice little bonus video I ran across

*Adjusting for inflation - $60,902.57

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EJD1984 For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (12-30-2017),Murrow (10-11-2017)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,311 Posts

3rd gen Firebirds are at or near the top of my list of all-time favorites. In February of 1990, I ran out and bought a '90 because of the early intro of the '91 with that new nose, which I didn't like very much. I wanted a Firebird, but I wasn't quite ready. But seeing what was coming with the '91, I stepped up a bit early. That new nose always looked like a tacked-on afterthought to me. Most of the ones that I ever looked at up close had uneven gaps all around that new front clip.

I had two '90 Formulas and always have my eyes open for another. I'd even take a '91 or '92 at this point. It actually was a relatively practical car, and those things could carve up a road.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 663 Posts

92, the Boss came back from the Auction, walked into my, and my Co Salesman's office, threw the keys on our desks, and said "Show them they are in town Boys"

A White and Green 91 GTA GM Company Cars. You could get them sideway easily from a Stop Sign.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,161 Times in 3,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Back then GM rarely did mid-cycle refreshes well. Always seemed like the current gen was the best design and the refresh was the 2nd best design. Sunbird, Cavlier, above Firebird and so on, all their refreshes did not look as good as the original.
    Sometimes. The '85 refresh on the 3rd gens was very successful. The '91/'92 was almost a change for changes sake refresh on both Camaro and Firebird.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

EJD1984 (10-13-2017)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMTruckGuy74's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Canyon/2015/Emerald Green

I love the ‘91/‘92 Trans Am GTA still to this day. I was also in love with the 1988 Pontiac Banshee too, which is what this MCE was based on and yes, to bridge the gap with the upcoming 4th Gen Trans Am for ‘93 (which I also loved and had the fortunate opportunity to own a ‘95 T/A).
    Still plays with TRUCKS...
    GMC Truck fan & long-time Pontiac enthusiast
    - My ride: 2015 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed SLT
    - Wife's ride: 2013 Buick LaCrosse Premium I

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,118 Posts

The 3rd and 4th gen Trans Ams never managed to get out of the shadow of it's 2nd Gen predecessors IMO. Yes they were better cars that performed much better, but the TA was an image car and the latter cars were either too bland like the one in the video, or to over the top. The Trans Am defined the 2nd Gen F-Bodies, the Z/28 defined the 3rd and 4th.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I call the 3rd gen affectionately the turd gen although the handling far shaded the interiors.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,161 Times in 3,253 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    I call the 3rd gen affectionately the turd gen although the handling far shaded the interiors.
    I guess you can consider me a 3rd gen expert, currently owning 4 low mile IROC-Zs, organizing a large annual 3rd gen event, FB page and just generally being immersed in the community.

Coupla things,

The 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird were literally - not figuratively...but literally some of the best handling cars in the world in their day. They were also lauded by the media and public as the best looking designs to come out of GM in decades. Their popularity was incredible with the entire run good for almost two million units.

I think the term "turd gen" was coined later by some insecure 4th gen owners.

If anyone is keeping track of of the collector car market, you'd know that the 3rd gens are the next ones up in that market, especially the '85 through '90 IROC-Zs and all 1LEs and convertibles.
    Last edited by Z284ever; 12-31-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z284ever For This Useful Post:

Murrow (12-31-2017),sonjaab (12-31-2017)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information