1978 grand prix 'ec 301' - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1978 grand prix 'ec 301'

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

Re: 1978 grand prix 'ec 301'

I was going to say - the 'hot' W-72 cam would fit. In this scenario I had to invent a unique dual plane intake manifold for the EC 301. It was like the Olds engine in being small block via cut down deck height. I suppose theoretically they could have expanded the bore out to 4.125 because of wider bore centers on the Poncho.

But yes, totally lost opportunity and the eighties might have been a lot different and Pontiac might have fared better had they been able to offer a 180hp 301 Grand Prix -esp with the Monte Carlo SS gearing - and especially a 240hp turbo 301 Trans Am on the slick '82 T/A (that would be if Pontiac could match the 180hp turbo 231 Buick in hp/inch).
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

There is no meat left in the 301 block (unlike a Olds block) to do any boring or any other internal mods.
    The weight of the 301 block is 126 lbs while a 350 block is 187 lbs.
    The 301 used a bunch of lightweight internal parts. That 301 site link i posted above has some good info.

I am still pondering swapping a hot olds 455 (sittin in the corner of my garage) in place of the 350
    in my 72!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 KingElvis's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10 DODGE RAM ST RC HEMI 4.10

I was reading some old road tests basically saying that the 301 was designed around the concept of maximizing power per lb of engine weight, so I could see that any boring might not work. I thought the so called EC version or 'beefier' 301 might be different (IIRC it did not have things like 'windowed' main webs. The whole engine weighed like 460lbs - 100 under the Chevrolet. That's more like the Ford 221-302. But that's just it - and part of the conceit of this specious article - if you could get the same power per inch as a Chevrolet it would have a major advantage by virtue of being so much lighter.
    Check out my automotive blog Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac ATS 2017 Blue

If it was a T-top, it rusted or leaked as soon as it hit the dealership if not sooner.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information