07/08 Aura XR thoughts?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 07/08 Aura XR thoughts?

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

07/08 Aura XR thoughts?

Any XR owners out there have some comments for me. Likes, dislikes, problems, things to watch for?

I have a line on a very low mileage XR base 07 and am wondering if it will be a good car for the long haul. I am a little concerned as it is a first year car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: 07/08 Aura XR thoughts?

I have an 07 XR and I love it. I find it very comfortable and roomy the ride is great and it is quiet riding and handles well. I get about 14L/100K city avg. and 9L/100K hwy on 401 at @ 120Kmh. Only real dislike I have is Goodyear LS tires which absolutely suck in the winter. I have had this vehicle for almost a year and a half and still enjoy driving it. Check out saturnfans forum for all kinds of info.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Budoka View Post
    I have an 07 XR and I love it. I find it very comfortable and roomy the ride is great and it is quiet riding and handles well. I get about 14L/100K city avg. and 9L/100K hwy on 401 at @ 120Kmh. Only real dislike I have is Goodyear LS tires which absolutely suck in the winter. I have had this vehicle for almost a year and a half and still enjoy driving it. Check out saturnfans forum for all kinds of info.
    Thanks for the comments. I would have hoped for a bit better mileage in the city though?

Do the tires just not grip well? Any issues with the car?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

While I don't have an XR, I have a 07 XE with the 3.5 V6.

As concerns fit and finish, I had a few issues, but they were small. Other than that, the car has been rock solid.

As for city mileage, surprisingly, my mileage is almost the same as Budoka's. My mileage has even creeped up to 16L/100km in the winter. Most of my drive is city/surburbia, so I have been a little disappointed in the mileage. My highway mileage, however, is much better: 7.7L/100km (30MPG) @120kph (75MPH). I was getting ~28-29MPG driving at 80-85MPH during a recent road trip to the US. Again, though, with the smaller engine.

Just remember that the Aura wasn't really a first year car... Many of the mechanicals were tested on Malibus and G6s that were already on the road for a few years.

Walking
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dindak View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I would have hoped for a bit better mileage in the city though?

Do the tires just not grip well? Any issues with the car?
    Yes the city mileage is not all that great if you do a lot of it. The goodyears spin like crazy if there is any snow on the ground at all, they handle not bad once you are going and are not to bad on the cold pavement. I have had no major issues at all with the car.
    Budoka

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Budoka View Post
    Yes the city mileage is not all that great if you do a lot of it. The goodyears spin like crazy if there is any snow on the ground at all, they handle not bad once you are going and are not to bad on the cold pavement. I have had no major issues at all with the car.
    Budoka
    Thanks. I drive about 20kms a day on average so mileage is not very important.

Thanks

My 2007 XR had been problem free up until 7500 miles when the notorious steering clunk showed up. There are TSBs on it; Edmunds long term Aura XR suffered this problem and eventually the entire steering rack had to be replaced. I was told last week that GM will have new intermediate steering shafts in a month. That's either true or a load of crap. Who knows. They lubed the steering in the meantime and the problem is gone for now. Otherwise the car is great. I think it looks terrific (I have the midnight blue/morocco), gets decent (18-19 mpg in mostly suburban driving) fuel economy and is fairly roomy. My complaints are the very jumpy throttle tip-in (many reviewers have complained about this as well) and rock hard center armrest (changed midway through 2008). I also wish for a firmer brake pedal.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by autofan View Post
    My 2007 XR had been problem free up until 7500 miles when the notorious steering clunk showed up. There are TSBs on it; Edmunds long term Aura XR suffered this problem and eventually the entire steering rack had to be replaced. I was told last week that GM will have new intermediate steering shafts in a month. That's either true or a load of crap. Who knows. They lubed the steering in the meantime and the problem is gone for now. Otherwise the car is great. I think it looks terrific (I have the midnight blue/morocco), gets decent (18-19 mpg in mostly suburban driving) fuel economy and is fairly roomy. My complaints are the very jumpy throttle tip-in (many reviewers have complained about this as well) and rock hard center armrest (changed midway through 2008). I also wish for a firmer brake pedal.
    The XR I was looking at was sold but I have found another one for sale so I will look for those problems. Funny, I had a bit of a clunk with my Intrigue and had to get the IS lubed also. Strange cause I thought it was because of the variable assist on my Olds.

Brakes on my test of the first XR were very good. Maybe I am not used to super firm brake pedals. Thanks for the comments.

Thanks

I've been driving (and enjoying) my '08 Aura XR for eight months now. The car is amazing . . . comfortable, quiet, performance with the 3.6 is phenomonal with fuel economy readouts of 24-25 mixed city/highway and 28-30 average at a steady 65 mph. The build quality is excellent, paint is perfect and with the Morrocco leather trim, I have a 'colorful environment' vs. years of bland gray interiors on former cars. This car was purchased with a supplier discount but at the time, I also had a Ford PIN and Chrysler EC available, but I chose the Aura as the better (best!) of the Fusion or Sebring/Avenger. Based upon my recomendations, I know of 3 or 4 friends who have purchased Saturn's since I bought mine.

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC steelerfan n GA's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an 2007 XR and love it. I have only experience a bad speedometer which was replaced. The performance and fuel economy are better than I expected.

I get a lot of looks and people asking me what kind of car is that. The reply is usually, "That's a Saturn?"

So this vehicle is a solid choice - good luck!
    Hidden Content
    My current vehicles:
    2007 Saturn Aura XR
    2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

I've been renting a 2007 XR since my BMW was in an accident. I have thus far put 9,000 miles on it (28k total) and have loved every mile. Took it to California, Oregon, Washington, the Utah desert, and just about everywhere else.

Enjoyed speeds of over 100mph with complete quiet and comfort. Lots of room for adults too.

Gripes:
    Pillars are big, affecting ingress/egress for tall people. I am 5'8" and have no issues.
    B-pillar is far forward, which seems to affect tall people.
    Door panel has cheap bits.
    Steering is a little bit vague in the center.
    Somehow, I keep accidentally turning on the seat heat. The switch is located front-left on the driver's seat bottom.
    Front fenders are plastic, which makes the panel gap between the a-pillar and fender rather large.

Praise:
    Handling
    Sound system
    Ride
    Steering response
    Paint
    Acceleration!
    Braking
    Front and rear seating comfort
    Styling
    Sharp lines and tasteful use of chrome.
    Trunk depth
    Remote start
    Climate controls
    Very quiet at high speeds
    Steady highway fuel economy -- 26-30mpg at 60-65mph at cruise, but drops down to 18-20 from 80-100mph. Very respectable. Gets 18-20 in the city.

Best part of my morning is driving to work at 4:30a when the roads are wide open, and flying around ramps and bends in the Aura.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks

Uh, the front fenders aren't plastic. Saturn went to standard sheet metal bodies a while ago because the processes needed to make plastic panels that had the small tolerences required to be competitive were much more expensive. I don't believe any currently produced Saturn uses plastic any more.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I had the pleasure of driving an 08 Aura 3.5 XE rental for a few days. It had the gold exterior with the beige/black cloth interior combo.

Here are some of my impressions:

First, this is a gorgeous car inside and out! Got lots of comments on it wherever we went, and just like the commercials we got lots of ''That's a Saturn?" LOL.

Interior fit and finish was impressive. The controls were in the right places and user friendly. I was impressed by the feel of the interior materials and switchgear (what's wrong with GM partsbin again?). XM Radio and CD sounded great, and I liked the preprogrammed EQ settings and speed sensitive volume. The seats had the right level of support and were easy to adjust to a comfortable position. The back seats were just as comfortable and leg room was great for my nearly 6' frame. The cockpit is quiet, with low levels of noise intrusion.

Outside, the Aura has great chisled flanks and a really upscale appearance, even on this lower trim level. Attention to details are evident inside and out. Checked out the trunk, and its spacious and decently finished and GM should really get more credit for what they are doing right; ie does the Camry's trunklid have struts? Nope.

On the road the 3.5 is very torquey off the line and hustles to speed quickly. The 4-speed tranny did its job smoothly and I know its probably a perception thing, but this tranny and engine combo isn't that bad as some reviewers make it out to be. I would like some wheel time with a 3.6 or Ecotech w/ the 6 sp trans though to accurately assess it.

This is the only Epsilon I've driven, but I find it to be an excellent, tightly contructed platform. The Aura handles great and has a ride that finds the right balance between sporty and supple.

As for any negatives; there aren't many:
    the throttle was a little 'lurchy' off the line, but not too bad
    the A/C took a little long to kick out the cold air on initial startup but once it got going it was fine otherwise.
    no rear armrest; seems a strange omission

Overall, I came away impressed and would definately consider an Aura for myself. I couldn't help but be think of how much better this car is than the car the Aura kind of replaced, the N body Alero (which was pretty good in its day).

As for the Aura's competition, I've had seat time in a Fusion, Sebring, Altima, Camry, Optima, and an Accord, and the Aura is definately on par or better than any of those cars. Keep it up General!

I'll certainly consider the Insignia/2nd gen Aura for purchase if GM brings it over here intact.
    Last edited by doppleganger; 08-07-2008 at 04:46 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autofan View Post
    My 2007 XR had been problem free up until 7500 miles when the notorious steering clunk showed up. There are TSBs on it; Edmunds long term Aura XR suffered this problem and eventually the entire steering rack had to be replaced. I was told last week that GM will have new intermediate steering shafts in a month. That's either true or a load of crap. Who knows. They lubed the steering in the meantime and the problem is gone for now. Otherwise the car is great.
    I just had my intermediate shaft replaced at 10,000 miles. The clunk had been around for a while and decided to have it looked at when I read your e-mail, so thanks Autofan.

The shaft has been replaced. Hopefully the noise will not return.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Family Man View Post
    I just had my intermediate shaft replaced at 10,000 miles. The clunk had been around for a while and decided to have it looked at when I read your e-mail, so thanks Autofan.

The shaft has been replaced. Hopefully the noise will not return.
    I know that the lubrication the dealer did was only temporary so a new IS is probably in store for my Aura too sooner or later. I assume that took care of the problem on yours?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information