05-08 Grand Prix GXP Vs. HHR SS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 05-08 Grand Prix GXP Vs. HHR SS

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC bad03xtreme's Avatar
    Thanks

05-08 Grand Prix GXP Vs. HHR SS

I am going to be buying a family oriented vehicle sometime by the end of the year and I have been going back and forth with multiple vehicles for a while now. I was considering a Trailblazer SS but with gas prices going crazy I decided to drop that, I even considered an Astro van that I could customize somewhat. I think I have it narrowed down to two contenders. What do you think would be a better choice in the long run.

A moderately used 05-07 Grand Prix GXP

or

Brand new HHR SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Suburban 1500 4x4

Re: 05-08 Grand Prix GXP Vs. HHR SS

I haven't driven an HHR yet. Please keep that in mind. I did drive a PT Cruiser though (I know not the same car), but it felt very claustrophobic to me. It appears the HHR is bigger, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

I personally would go for a new car over used right now. 0% financing for 72 months is unbelievable! You can stretch your payments out, and have NO cost penalty because of it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by ledfoot73 Hidden Content
    It's simple, Toyota should recall all of the suspected vehicles and install 4 point safety harnesses, Roll cages, and maybe Hans devices.
    ^ Great quote! Hidden Content

Thanks

If its fuel economy you're looking for, the HHR should do better, and I think it can be had with a stick. The Grand Prix looks pretty bada$$ in GXP form though, and you can get a great deal on one. Just ask yourself - do you want/need a 5.3 LS4 that puts out 303hp? Or do you want a 2.0 DI Ecotec that puts out 260? Personally, I'd test drive both and see which I like most... but since you are doing the family thing, have your family come along for the test drive, or see if you can rent either car for a week. The Grand Prix may seem like a dream to you, but if your family is going to outgrow it soon, whats the point?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Infiniti G35 coupe

Buy a new HHR SS. Support the economy and GM!

Seriously, buy what you like and can afford. Hopefully, the SS is available with the 0% or low financing these days.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

I like the GP GXP, but getting new is always the better option imo, so go with the HHR SS.

Ach
    Thanks

The GXP is a sweet ride (that motor sounds heavenly) and there are great deals to be had on used examples. The SS is cool too, though. Can't really go wrong with either. Personally, I would get the GXP just because it is a dying breed.
    The Fleet:
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport AWD
    2000 Ford SVT Contour
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    1985 BMW 635CSi

The Past:
    2007 Lincoln MKZ
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
    1995 BMW 530i
    1998 Olds Aurora
    1994 Infiniti Q45t
    1988 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
    1989 Acura Legend Coupe L
    1989 Olds Eighty Eight Royale

Thanks

I vote HHR SS. My family owns a Grand Prix and they're really great cars, but in terms of cost and functionality, I think the HHR makes more sense. They probably have similar acceleration and handling, but if you calculate fuel usage, you will get more bang for your buck with the High Roof. The HHR might be smaller, but it seems more functional as a people/cargo hauler with those fold down rear seats. test drive them and find out for yourself!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Naw not the GXP, you want a GTP Comp G
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 RoGuE's Avatar
    Thanks

I would love to have the GP, but the rear seats on them are very cramped in the leg room area.
    -Jonathan
    2007 Chevrolet Malibu LS w/ 2.2L Ecotec
    Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,363 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

You could still probably find '08 Grand Prix GXPs on the lot at heavily discounted prices due to the new model year...not sure though.
    Try driving both of them and see which one feels better.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks

New over used anyday. Go with the HHR

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I am not to concerned with gas milage I just don't think I want the 20mpg from the trailblazer SS. Me and my wife our having our first child in Nov. and I have an S10 so I need to get something with a backseat. My wife has an 05' Equinox that will be our larger vehicle so I just need something the three of us can go places in when need be. I know they have the 0% on the HHR SS now but I am holding of until the fall because we are working on buying a new house so I don't want to affect that in any way.

My dad has an 07' Impala SS and I love the power it has but I think the Grand Prix is a little more sporty. I will have to drive both and see which I prefer but I am wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with either.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I've got an '05 GXP and it's been a great car, though I did have to have the AC compressor and steering rack replaced while the car was under warranty.

Since my wife has to be able to drive my car occasionally which rules out a manual transmission, that effectively rules out the HHR SS. I wouldn't want a de-tuned motor just to protect the ancient 4-spd auto transmission they put in that thing.

Thanks

Are the 05 Boneville GXP's any better than the Grand Prix GXP? I would think the 5.3 is a better motor than the northstar but I have not driven a northstar powered vehicle.

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

Hmm that's tough. Are you thinking auto or 5 spd on the HHR? Because I know if I wanted an auto I'd probably end up getting the GP (gotta love the LS4). But at the same time, having a stick is important to me so that would lean towards the HHR. I happen to like the non-ss chrome grill and trim better on the HHR than the ss model all body color but that's subjective.

I think it could really hinge on your transmission choice. Either way go do a set of test drives and let us know.
    1981 Camaro Z-28 - 377 SBC / 4-spd, Silver on Blue

2015 Colorado WT Ext. Cab - 2.5 / N8D 6-spd, Rainforest Green

1972 Yamaha CT2 175cc

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information