Wrong-Way Head-On Crashes

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Wrong-Way Head-On Crashes

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 3,780 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Wrong-Way Head-On Crashes

Though just 2-3% of all wrecks, they're almost always fatal.

Our recent thread on safety nannies
    https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...5/#post7170889
    prompted me to wonder if any of the current nannies would have any effect on these. It seems to me a capable programmer could combine the lane-keep (make it move-over) and emergency braking functions to save ONE of the vehicles/drivers at least. I contacted NHTSA and asked them about this and their response was links to a few links.

The Evolution of Automated Safety Technologies
    RELATED TOPIC
    NHTSA IN SUPPORT OF AUTOMATED VEHICLES 3.0
    DRIVER ASSISTANCE TECHNOLOGIES
    Driver assistance technologies in today’s motor vehicles are already helping to save lives and prevent injuries.

A number of today’s new motor vehicles have technology that helps drivers avoid drifting into adjacent lanes or making unsafe lane changes, or that warns drivers of other vehicles behind them when they are backing up, or that brakes automatically if a vehicle ahead of them stops or slows suddenly, among other things. These and other safety technologies use a combination of hardware (sensors, cameras, and radar) and software to help vehicles identify certain safety risks so they can warn the driver to act to avoid a crash.

The continuing evolution of automotive technology aims to deliver even greater safety benefits and – one day – deliver Automated Driving Systems (ADS) that can handle the whole task of driving when we don’t want to or can’t do it ourselves.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-inn...ehicles-safety

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-innovation

My interpretation: "Huh?" From the links they sent it seems like V2V is their answer. Thanks, guys.

Here are some "facts" for the gullible:

Safety Facts
    NUMBER OF MOTOR VEHICLE CRASHES THAT COULD BE PREVENTED USING V2V TECHNOLOGY

In a year? In 10 years? In 20 years? After bot-mobiles have been driving us all around for 30 years? This from an agency that spends millions or billions. V2V can prevent 615,000 crashes. Thanks, servants!

Posted Jun 27 2019 06:40AM CDT

Video Posted Jun 27 2019 05:38PM CDT

Updated Jun 27 2019 05:42PM CDT

GARLAND, Texas - The Texas Department of Public Safety is trying to determine what caused a driver to head the wrong way on the George Bush Turnpike Thursday morning, leading to a fatal crash.

The crash killed the drivers of the two vehicles involved. The wreck shut down the roadway for more than five hours.

The crash happened in the westbound lanes of the President George Bush Turnpike, between Campbell and Shiloh roads in Garland, at about 2:30 a.m.

DPS is still working to find out why one driver decided to make a U-turn in the middle of the highway and go the wrong direction.

State troopers had stopped a suspected drunken driver when they learned of a wrong-way driver on the other side of the highway.

The troopers ran toward a concrete barrier to try to stop that car. It ended up hitting another car head-on.

DPS identified the wrong-way driver in the Honda Civic as 22-year-old Katherine Long, of Frisco.

Authorities said she crashed head-on into a Ford Taurus driven by 53-year-old Joseph Wallace, of Rockwall.

Long, the wrong-way driver, died on scene, while Wallace was taken to Medical City Plano, where he later died.

Preliminary investigation indicates Long turned around in the westbound lanes for some unknown reason, and started driving in the wrong direction near Midway, traveling more than ten miles before crashing.

No one else was hurt.

“This was just in the middle of the road,” said DPS Lt. Lonny Haschel. “They didn’t use a cut-through like you see emergency personnel use. This was not that. This was your typical three or four lanes of tollway down by Midway. They slowed down, did a U-turn in those lanes and went back the other way, which is odd. It’s very unusual, so again, we’re trying to figure out why on earth that person did that.”

DPS says toxicology will be performed on both drivers, but it’ll take some time to get the results back.

Investigators also haven’t released how fast the wrong-way driver was going.

The road was shut down for about five hours during the investigation, but opened back up just before 8 a.m.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/2-kille...gbt-in-garland

Toledo woman dead after wrong-way driving crash

The Blade
    JUL 4, 2019 9:21 AM
    A Toledo woman driving the wrong way on U.S. 23 in Sylvania Township died after she was struck by a tractor-trailer rig.

Kimiko Kenney was driving southbound on U.S. 23 in the northbound lane about 11:23 p.m. Wednesday when she was struck by a truck headed north, according to a release from Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The truck driver, Thomas Larson, of Inkster, Mich., was not injured in the crash.

Mrs. Kenney was taken to ProMedica Toledo Hospital, where she died.

The Toledo Highway Patrol post is investigating the crash. They were assisted on scene by Sylvania police, Sylvania Township police, and Sylvania Township’s fire and rescue department.

https://www.toledoblade.com/local/po...es/20190704122

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-inn...ehicles-safety
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-06-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Walking
    Thanks

Re: Wrong-Way Head-On Crashes

It's always been beyond my comprehension of how a person that is fit to operate an automobile, licensed, would go into opposing traffic. It seems that their perception must have been altered by a substance, or they would have a medical condition that might cause the same type of perception.
    Well, something was not right regarding the operator of the vehicles driving into opposing traffic.
    When we drive, we would know immediately by the cars heading toward us that we are going in the wrong direction. To continue opposing all the traffic coming at you makes no sense. There has to be some level of altered perception on the driver's part that is going the wrong way.

With this aspect in mind, I would certainly say that automation would prevent this from occurring. Perhaps there might be better refinements to prevent vehicles from entering off ramps such as overheads at the end of off ramps with large series of no entry signage and directional tire spikes to prevent them from proceding in the wrong direction up the off ramps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ASEMAT-PeteM For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-06-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ASEMAT-PeteM View Post
    It's always been beyond my comprehension of how a person that is fit to operate an automobile, licensed, would go into opposing traffic. It seems that their perception must have been altered by a substance, or they would have a medical condition that might cause the same type of perception.
    Well, something was not right regarding the operator of the vehicles driving into opposing traffic.
    When we drive, we would know immediately by the cars heading toward us that we are going in the wrong direction. To continue opposing all the traffic coming at you makes no sense. There has to be some level of altered perception on the driver's part that is going the wrong way.
    After living in an over 55 community for the last 4 years, I've seen and experienced the altered level of perception shown by many of the drivers here!

As an example, the parents of one of my aunts were in their 90's and were terrified of expressways. One evening, they were heading home and saw a sign with an arrow pointing to the expressway. They thought they would drive the other way to avoid the expressway and drove down the up ramp of the expressway, crashing into a car and killing themselves and the driver of the other car.

They were both well educated, with one having been a high school principal and the other a teacher for 40 years, but age and the fear of driving took it's toll.

When I believe that I can't drive anymore, I will have to trust my wife, who knows no speed limit that she will obey. Pray for me.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

6. The Following User Says Thank You to XP300 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-06-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,338 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I've worked a ton of them. They're never pretty.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ASEMAT-PeteM View Post

With this aspect in mind, I would certainly say that automation would prevent this from occurring. Perhaps there might be better refinements to prevent vehicles from entering off ramps such as overheads at the end of off ramps with large series of no entry signage and directional tire spikes to prevent them from proceeding in the wrong direction up the off ramps.
    I'd guess most are drunk or stoned beyond belief. Most of these happen in the dark of night, often in the early morning hours, when nothing good happens and when the odds of encountering a severely impaired driver are high (NPI).

And XP300 in his post below details another seemingly harmless way these tragedies get executed. Impaired, confused, and nothing good happens.

With all the millions our humble servants spend, I'd think a camera on the exit ramps that usually serve as the on-ramp for the wrong-way drivers, linked directly to the 911 dispatcher and the staties and county mounties, COULD help.
    In the case of the girl in Dallas, the cops saw her whiz by. The only remedy there was a few rounds aimed at the tires or the engine block, and that's another risk of course. It's not like they have a Skyhook they can call in on a minute's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by XP300 View Post
    After living in an over 55 community for the last 4 years, I've seen and experienced the altered level of perception shown by many of the drivers here!

As an example, the parents of one of my aunts were in their 90's and were terrified of expressways. One evening, they were heading home and saw a sign with an arrow pointing to the expressway. They thought they would drive the other way to avoid the expressway and drove down the up ramp of the expressway, crashing into a car and killing themselves and the driver of the other car.

They were both well educated, with one having been a high school principal and the other a teacher for 40 years, but age and the fear of driving took it's toll.

When I believe that I can't drive anymore, I will have to trust my wife, who knows no speed limit that she will obey. Pray for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    I've worked a ton of them. They're never pretty.
    I can't imagine. Battlefield damage.

I remember some police briefings I've attended over the years. One guy mentioned the cops being taken to task for calling burn victims crispy critters. Yet gallows humor is how we get through some of the worst of times.

Another mentioned the squad taking a rookie who'd just worked his first gory wreck out to a brains and eggs breakfast.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    My Ride

My first fatal was right next to a Mexican restaurant.

Went in and ordered tacos while securing the scene.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    My first fatal was right next to a Mexican restaurant.

Went in and ordered tacos while securing the scene.
    Regular or extra hot sauce?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

One night my Mom and daughter went out for a drive..they never came back. I was told they were hit head on by some jack ass ,all of this happened in front of a Mexican restaurant. I was told that one of the first responders order Tacos while securing the scene.........Imagine my shock today reading that post.....

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

When i was a teenager we went to Canberra (our capital) for a visit. Dad turned right onto road and suddenly we had a Ploice car coming at us head on with its lights on. dad pulled over and the Policeman wanted to know how we came to be going the wrong way on an expressway. We took him back and showed him and he was shocked and he actually thanked us for discovering it!. He immediately called for a work crew to come out out and close the road. It taught me a valuable driving lesson - just because you can do something doesn't make it right.
    Usually the cases of wrong way driving here in Australia is when people from LHD countries make a mistake, the others are people on drugs.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    One night my Mom and daughter went out for a drive..they never came back. I was told they were hit head on by some jack ass ,all of this happened in front of a Mexican restaurant. I was told that one of the first responders order Tacos while securing the scene.........Imagine my shock today reading that post.....

Wasn't my call, it was a 19 year old girl running across the street hit by a BMW.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    That is ghastly. My condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    When i was a teenager we went to Canberra (our capital) for a visit. Dad turned right onto road and suddenly we had a Ploice car coming at us head on with its lights on. dad pulled over and the Policeman wanted to know how we came to be going the wrong way on an expressway. We took him back and showed him and he was shocked and he actually thanked us for discovering it!. He immediately called for a work crew to come out out and close the road. It taught me a valuable driving lesson - just because you can do something doesn't make it right.
    Usually the cases of wrong way driving here in Australia is when people from LHD countries make a mistake, the others are people on drugs.

Holy moly. Got lucky that night. Sheet can happen in a flash.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information