What's your reliability tolerance with cars?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Poll: What's your tolerance level?

Thread: What's your reliability tolerance with cars?

Thanks

What's your reliability tolerance with cars?

In other words, what's your tolerance level concerning how many problems (as you personally define a problem) you'll accept with with your car(s) before you become fed up with them?

For me, if there aren't too many problems that keep me from driving the car safely or at all and it doesn't turn into a money pit, I wouldn't mind too much.
    Last edited by Infiniti Z350; 05-09-2005 at 07:07 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What's your reliability tolerance with cars?

Fortunately I've never had a car that was problematic to the point of being frustrated.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Mine is fairly low, But I do realize that as the miles get higher and the car gets older there is more routine maintnence.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

The price of the fixes are what concerns me.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

I like my car to be perfect. That's one of the reasons I like the extended warranty. I can get things fixed that one would normally ignore. For instance, the rear passenger door panel is loose so I'm taking it in. This does not at all affect the way the car drives, but I want the car to look like the major investment it is.
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

Thanks

Probably sounds weird, but the perception of reliability is about as important as the actual reliability. Years ago, had a problem with my new truck, took it back to the dealer for warranty repair. They replaced a couple parts and the actual repairing tech. said "don't worry about it, it's fixed." Sure was, now at 202K miles and no hint of that problem. Then there was the coolant leaking Blazer, two trips to different dealers and I got the sawdust/sealer tabs in the radiator. Wouldn't trust this machine over 50 miles from home in this condition. GM generally builds pretty darn reliable vehicles from my experience, but those dealer service departments are going to the dogs, from my experience (lately).

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

After my two experiences with GM products, very high!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

I, too, have never experienced a load of trouble from my vehicles. My first vehicle, a black 1995 Volvo 960 sedan, was handed to me with 20,000 miles on it. I returned it to my father 3 years ago with 150,000 miles. It's my dad's only car, but he loves it. 200,000+ miles and still going strong.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I put medium, but after thinking about it I should have said high or very high.

My Malibu and Saturn L-Series were frequently in the shop. And now my 300C is following in their footsteps. I don't really get fed-up, but I do get a little crestfallen.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

My tolerance depends on how hard it is to fix myself. My GTP for example, had a power window motor fail 3 times, an EGR valve fail, an A/C Blower Motor fail, etc. But all those only took me like 1/2 hour to fix myself. Sometimes less, in the case of the EGR. I can put up with these types of things more often, so long as I don't waste a lot of time doing it.

My acura on the other hand. I had an 03 TL. The tranny on that thing went kablooey. Despite that, I managed to get about 60% of what I paid for the car in trade (even though having 60,000 miles on it), and upgraded to an 05' TL. Supposedly the new generation TLs don't have any tranny issues. I'm crossing my fingers. Because if I have another blown tranny, I"m never buying another acura product for a long time.

So far my Infiniti is holding up really well. I had the Navi unit replaced once under warranty early on, because of a bum controller. Ever since, the car hasn't given me any issues, and I'm hoping it stays that way, as that sucker is going to be expensive to replace if it fails again. But Infiniti told me they sent my unit back to Clarion (manufacturer of the unit), to see how/why it failed, and possibly issue a TSB if something is found. So at least it sounds like they are looking into it.

If I get treated nice, then I might have higher tolerance. The whole reason I despise getting my pontiac fixed by the dealer, is that I've never really had a "good" experience at the pontiac dealer. No loaner, wanted to charge me more for a loaner, than what I usually pay at hertz, and they wouldn't let me use their shuttle, because my work is "too far away". One time I went there for an oil change, (hurt my back, so wasn't able to do it myself at the time). I even called ahead, to see if I needed an appointment. They said no. So I drove the 40 miles to the dealer (only one with a service department open on saturday). Arrive there, and they said they only take appointments on saturday. To add insult to injury, they boxed me into the service department, and I was unable to leave for almost an hour.

Acura and Infiniti on the other hand, they just gave me a loaner, and couldn't care less how many miles I put on it. (I took one of the loaners to the beach, to kill time on the weekend before)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information