What Happened to Actual Cars? - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Happened to Actual Cars?

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,487 Posts

Re: What Happened to Actual Cars?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Yes, the ATS is more or less a two seater! But, I don't complain because I knew the back seat was tight when I bought it. As they say, it is what it is. I love my ATS!

Good point with the big cars - people just want CUV's, they don't want a car with similar interior space. CUV's are in, plain and simple.
    I bought it for me. I'm single, rarely have passengers, and almost never more than one. The back seat has now been used a total of 4 times since January, all when my family was here vacationing.

It may sound like a stupid comparison, but for me it's kind of the Firebird that I can't buy anymore. Good looking 2+2 coupe. Slick handling, quick. And as the chassis underpins the Camaro, maybe not such a stupid comparison. I know that it is exactly the right car for me. (Now if they would just get the CUE software fixed, which Cadillac broke with an update. Four months now. As much as I like my ATS, I wouldn't buy another Cadillac if I needed a car. Miserable customer service. My car didn't break, they broke it for me and will not fix it. Pathetic.)
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-09-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,487 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

I find this article funny when compared to electric vehicles. We have so many people on GMI ranting about electrics NOT being what people want with the ultimate premise that money shouldn't be wasted in developing them. Yet cars are failing because they aren't what people want anymore, but people should be forced to drive them and money NOT spend on developing SUV/CUV's even though they are what people want.
    While I can't (or shouldn't ) speak for members of GMI, the National Motorists Association is commendably consistent in their opposition to unnecessary government interference in the automotive marketplace.

The current markets in the U.S for both CUV/SUVs and EVs are a result of distortion by government regulations. In the case of the former, NMA guest writer Jim Millick summed it up nicely in the OP article (in the quote below, he is almost certainly referring to CAFE regulations promulgated by NHTSA):

Quote Originally Posted by NMA Guest Writer
    "...this light truck designation is a government fiction desired by the Detroit automakers to protect their high-margin, high-profit vehicles from the more stringent rules cars must meet."
    In the case of EVs, another NMA guest writer, Eric Peters, shared the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Another NMA Guest Writer
    "Mandates and subsidies have not only distorted the market for electric cars, they’ve distorted the design of electric cars.

Instead of being designed to emphasize their natural strengths vs. IC-engined cars — which we’ll get into shortly — they’ve been offered up as cost-no-object economic and functional absurdities whose limitations and failings everyone is supposed to pretend don’t exist or accept for reasons of political/environmental correctness.

They cost too much, don’t go far enough and take too long to get going again. They tout quickness, sexiness, style and tech — all of which makes them expensive and impractical for most people, who are just looking to get from A to B with as little hassle and expense as possible.

Teslas being the worst example but the criticism applies pretty much across the board. The electric cars currently on the market make about as much sense for most people as a 4×4 truck you can’t take out in the snow."
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-09-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I bought it for me. I'm single, rarely have passengers, and almost never more than one. The back seat has now been used a total of 4 times since January, all when my family was here vacationing.

It may sound like a stupid comparison, but for me it's kind of the Firebird that I can't buy anymore. Good looking 2+2 coupe. Slick handling, quick. And as the chassis underpins the Camaro, maybe not such a stupid comparison. I know that it is exactly the right car for me. (Now if they would just get the CUE software fixed, which Cadillac broke with an update. Four months now. As much as I like my ATS, I wouldn't buy another Cadillac if I needed a car. Miserable customer service. My car didn't break, they broke it for me and will not fix it. Pathetic.)
    Cadillac became the logical choice to replace my Pontiacs, my ATS is what I always wanted Pontiac to offer - expressive styling and fun to drive with a nice interior. The Alpha chassis would have made an awesome chassis to take Pontiac up to the next level.

That's a shame that your dealer is a miserable experience. Mine is awesome, a pleasure to have it serviced. I just brought mine in the other week, less than 15 minutes between when the concierge took my keys, I met with the service advisor and was out the door in a loaner - that is a good dealer.

I just broke 100,000 miles!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-09-2019),rand49er (10-10-2019),richmond2000 (10-10-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    While I can't (or shouldn't ) speak for members of GMI, the National Motorists Association is commendably consistent in their opposition to unnecessary government interference in the automotive marketplace.

The current markets in the U.S for both CUV/SUVs and EVs are a result of distortion by government regulations. In the case of the former, NMA guest writer Jim Millick summed it up nicely in the OP article (in the quote below, he is almost certainly referring to CAFE regulations promulgated by NHTSA):

In the case of EVs, another NMA guest writer, Eric Peters, shared the following:
    I don't have enough time to read right now, I'll take a look tomorrow!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-09-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Cadillac became the logical choice to replace my Pontiacs, my ATS is what I always wanted Pontiac to offer - expressive styling and fun to drive with a nice interior. The Alpha chassis would have made an awesome chassis to take Pontiac up to the next level.

That's a shame that your dealer is a miserable experience. Mine is awesome, a pleasure to have it serviced. I just brought mine in the other week, less than 15 minutes between when the concierge took my keys, I met with the service advisor and was out the door in a loaner - that is a good dealer.

I just broke 100,000 miles!

I've got some minor quibbles with my dealer, but overall I'm happy. It's not them. It's Cadillac. In early June they sent out an over the air update to CUE. My CUE was fine. Apparently applying this update to a normal CUE damaged it. The dealer can do nothing but wait for a software fix. I've been on the line with Cadillac several times and there are two open cases about this. Each time they tell me to, "rest assured we're working on a fix." BS. At this point, I hate them.

If you damage a car, you're responsible for fixing it. Cadillac damaged mine. They've done nothing. Overall the issue is minor. XM radio favorites often have to be reset. Sometimes, you cannot tune XM at all, not by touch screen, not by voice command. Also sometimes when you get in the car it doesn't remember your last climate settings. That's it. Not a huge deal. In June I was patiently awaiting a fix. It's now October. As I said, I'd never buy another Cadillac after this sort of service. You'd think the least they would do is pay for XM while this is screwed up. I suggested that. No. They said that after it's fixed, they could perhaps extend my subscription. Yeah right, sure they will. Honestly, I don't believe I'll ever see a fix. If they had any intention of fixing this, it would have been done. I've been a software developer for over three decades; stuff like this doesn't take that long.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    I've got some minor quibbles with my dealer, but overall I'm happy. It's not them. It's Cadillac. In early June they sent out an over the air update to CUE. My CUE was fine. Apparently applying this update to a normal CUE damaged it. The dealer can do nothing but wait for a software fix. I've been on the line with Cadillac several times and there are two open cases about this. Each time they tell me to, "rest assured we're working on a fix." BS. At this point, I hate them.

If you damage a car, you're responsible for fixing it. Cadillac damaged mine. They've done nothing. Overall the issue is minor. XM radio favorites often have to be reset. Sometimes, you cannot tune XM at all, not by touch screen, not by voice command. Also sometimes when you get in the car it doesn't remember your last climate settings. That's it. Not a huge deal. In June I was patiently awaiting a fix. It's now October. As I said, I'd never buy another Cadillac after this sort of service. You'd think the least they would do is pay for XM while this is screwed up. I suggested that. No. They said that after it's fixed, they could perhaps extend my subscription. Yeah right, sure they will. Honestly, I don't believe I'll ever see a fix. If they had any intention of fixing this, it would have been done. I've been a software developer for over three decades; stuff like this doesn't take that long.
    Have you tried GM Case Management? 1-800-462-8782. I don't know how others have fared, but my case manager did the equivalent of the old cowboy movie of "Let's see ya dance, stranger!" as he fired his 30-shot revolver at the stranger's feet, to my loser Buick service department. He taught them a new tune, that's for sure.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-10-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,659 Times in 3,706 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

The Best of the best

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-10-2019)

ksr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Have you tried GM Case Management? 1-800-462-8782. I don't know how others have fared, but my case manager did the equivalent of the old cowboy movie of "Let's see ya dance, stranger!" as he fired his 30-shot revolver at the stranger's feet, to my loser Buick service department. He taught them a new tune, that's for sure.
    I have talked to people at GM. Two cases were open. I don't know if it's the same number that you used.

The thing is, it's not the service department and GM acknowledges that. It's their software. The service department gets the same answer from GM that I get.

Thanks.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-10-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Even our local post office drivethru has an elevated mailbox for SUVs. I usually have to open my door and half get out to mail a blasted letter. I love my car.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information