What Happened to Actual Cars?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to Actual Cars?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,574 Times in 4,095 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

What Happened to Actual Cars?

From National Motorists Association:

What Happened to Actual Cars?: NMA E-Newsletter #560
    October 6, 2019
    By guest writer Jim Millick

Automakers have made some big announcements this past year regarding cars—I’m talking about sedans, coupes and smaller runabouts that we have all owned in the past. The car companies have decided to stop manufacturing most related models. The SUV (“sport” utility vehicle) and pickup trucks, which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has lumped into a “light truck” classification, are taking over the auto industry.

How did it come to this?

For those of us who still drive actual cars, and other road users such as motorcyclists and bicyclists, we are at an increasing disadvantage, and less safe. Many times, someone driving an SUV does not even understand how big their vehicle is and will frequently crowd a smaller car without even knowing it. That’s why I like my horn.

Also, if you are in the blind spot of an SUV or pickup truck, the driver cannot see you with their invariably misadjusted mirrors, and you, the car driver, have to be ever-vigilant.

There are advantages to owning a car; they are generally cheaper to buy and operate because of better gas mileage. Also, cars are easier to park in tight spots and the home garage. Some cars even have nearly equal cargo space to the SUV’s popular brethren, the CUV (compact utility vehicle), e.g., a VW Golf vs. a Porsche Macan. Another plus for cars, sedans, and coupes—they are more efficient, smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic, and more comfortable to get into—you don’t feel as though you need a commercial driver’s license to drive them.

But gas is cheap, and so consumers have decided they can afford to lease, rent, or buy the more massive machines. Americans love big and new, whether it’s a house or vehicle, and they vote with their wallet. As critics have noted, this light truck designation is a government fiction desired by the Detroit automakers to protect their high-margin, high-profit vehicles from the more stringent rules cars must meet.

Peerless automotive designer Gordon Murray states that a vehicle's manufacturing carbon footprint is directly proportional to its weight, something in which 4,500-6,000 lb. SUVs and trucks do not fare well.

We’re not even talking about their aerodynamic inefficiency and fuel consumption. Did you know it takes about seven years for fuel energy consumption to equal the energy used in the manufacturing of any vehicle?

The European Union measures carbon dioxide output across the board, and a vehicle doesn’t get an emissions waiver because of size. EU climate groups have called for SUV bans (which probably means cars are next on the list). Europeans might be in for an unwelcome surprise with their train tickets, though, since high taxes on gasoline and diesel directly subsidize rail transport.

Crew cab trucks (with four doors) were once the domain of railroad and utility companies. The no-towing, no cargo-carrying 4-door pickups now function as an expensive, high center-of-gravity sedan, not a truck. A ladder is needed just to climb in, too (or better yet, an expensive, factory optional, motorized running board).

Of greatest concern, of course, for the motorist driving in the forest of SUVs and trucks on the highway and streets, is safety. At least 90 percent of the information needed for driving is the visual observation of the road. If you can't see around large, vision-obscuring objects, you are at a distinct disadvantage, making it much tougher to anticipate any potential issues ahead of you on the road. This is especially difficult if one of these behemoths has darkly tinted windows. Parking lots can be frightening for owners with smaller cars—you have to hope for the best when you back up out of the parking space in between a darkly tinted SUV and a crew cab pickup, with the truck part higher than your car.

The other safety piece is the crash impact—especially in a T-bone collision. The lower mass vehicle will often come out the worse in the deal, though any body-on-frame SUV or pickup will have demonstrably worse crash performance than a unibody vehicle, all other things being equal. It may be bad for a car driver, but for the two-wheeler or pedestrian, it's far more likely to be fatal. In the UK, a London lawmaker wants to restrict SUVs for this reason. The EU has “pedestrian friendly” impact standards for cars, believe it or not. The U.S. doesn’t bother with that wishful-thinking fiction, and it would be nearly impossible to do that with heavy-mass SUV and pickups, anyway.

After the numerous disadvantages, are there any pluses for the average car driver in this SUV-pickup trend? Not in a net way, but at least there are a few.

Parking spaces may become wider and longer, which means, though, there will be fewer of them—especially with the proliferation of road diets around the country. Having a wider and longer parking space could indeed lower the probability of careless door-dingers whacking your car's flanks or perhaps hitting a bicyclist or scooter rider in a bike lane.

I found another unexpected development on a recent trip to California. Apparently, nobody wants "full-size" rental cars any more. This category of rental car was once the province of the most expensive tier, now dominated by—you guessed it—SUVs and crew cab pickups (along with vans). The full-size car now costs just one step up from the tiny penalty-box 3-cylinder import machine. Even an ordinary "compact car" rental costs more than the full-size car!

Passenger cars are becoming the minority vehicle on the road, which means their drivers need to be more vigilant than ever before.

If you've ever wondered about the origins of the SUV craze, including why they're so popular, check out Malcolm Gladwell's seminal work, "Big and Bad, how the S.U.V. ran over Automotive Safety.”

Editor’s Note: The opinions expressed in this newsletter are those of the author.

https://mailchi.mp/motorists/what-ha...0?e=009f070fa5
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: What Happened to Actual Cars?

Even our local post office drivethru has an elevated mailbox for SUVs. I usually have to open my door and half get out to mail a blasted letter. I love my car.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rand49er For This Useful Post:

fastdriver (10-09-2019),Neanderthal (10-08-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,301 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Stupid high CAFE fuel economy targets for cars pushed manufacturers to find solutions in vehicles that were not cars, vehicles they could market as more versatile than a car and could charge more for.

CAFE is now a joke as more and more buyers head away from efficient cars to big heavy Utilities that are now the fashion.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-09-2019),Rumpole (10-10-2019),Stéphane Dumas (10-08-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

I hate CUV's, and Crossovers, I miss the days of good ole Midsize, and Fullsize coupes and sedans.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-09-2019),Engelman (10-10-2019),fastdriver (10-09-2019),rockyspaw (10-08-2019),Stéphane Dumas (10-09-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

While I like our Malibu my XJ Cherokee is the superior vehicle when it comes to visibility, maneuverability and parking.
    Then there is overall capability, practicality and usefulness.
    Face it. Automakers have removed most of the features that made passenger cars practical and capable.
    Heck my first car, a 65 Impala 4 door was practical and capable. Modern cars? Not so much.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    19 F150 Screw 3.5 EB

I have had both a truck and a motorcycle for more than 4 decades. No one has ever knocked me off any motorcycle because I pay attention to car drivers, the ones who get the closest to hitting me. I use my truck for a lot of truck things that cars just aren't capable of doing.

The stupid article was written by an idiot that thinks he should decide how others should live and can judge them for doing something he doesn't condone or want to do himself. Probably a liberal.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to supermoto For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-09-2019),XP300 (10-09-2019)

Thanks

HOG WASH!!!

People have moved to vehicles that fit their needs. The so called "FULL SIZE" coupes and sedans of my youth were close to the size of today's small cuv's. Think Hudson and Nash. We could fit two families in a Nash sedan to go to the forrest preserve for a picnic.

Today, my wifes Buick fits four people. Getting in and out is less than easy.

Whenever we go to dinner or a show with friends, we take my Acadia.

My best guess is that the NMA is not an organization with members that love to get in a car and drive, just for the fun of it!
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

14. The Following User Says Thank You to XP300 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-09-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Cars, Sedans, and Coupes shrunk, people and families didn't. If Sedans and Coupes were the same size as the 60's, 70's and 80's the would still be selling like hotcakes.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-09-2019),Engelman (10-10-2019),fastdriver (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,148 Times in 1,118 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by XP300 View Post
    My best guess is that the NMA is not an organization with members that love to get in a car and drive, just for the fun of it!
    Actually, NMA is composed of just such members. A lot of driving enthusiasts join the NMA, and the NMA is known for its advocacy for "driving freedom" and "driving fun".

From the NMA webpage:

We are a grassroots alliance of motorists joined together to protect our rights in the courts, on the streets, and in our vehicles. National Motorists Association members number in the thousands and are active in all 50 states as well as in several provinces of Canada.

The NMA has empowered drivers since 1982. We fight for the driving freedoms of motorists. We lobby for traffic regulations and enforcement actions based on safety considerations, not a line item on the income side of a city, county, or state budget.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,850 Times in 3,948 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

While I am saddened at the decline of the car, CUV''s are what people want.

I love my ATS, but it isn't a practical vehicle, especially when compared to my wife's Grand Cherokee. Even my 2008 Malibu or '02 Grand Prix didn't come close to the practicality of her then '01 (I think) Grand Cherokee and her current '11.

Plus, look at the size of people today. Years ago the average guy was my build - 5' 9" around 160lbs (or somewhere near that). I fit perfectly fine in my ATS. But a buddy of mine that I suspect is a lot closer to today's "norm" weighs in at 230 lbs, maybe 6' tall. He could barely fit in my ATS, I was laughing my ass off at him. So no wonder people gravitate to more spacious vehicles.

I find this article funny when compared to electric vehicles. We have so many people on GMI ranting about electrics NOT being what people want with the ultimate premise that money shouldn't be wasted in developing them. Yet cars are failing because they aren't what people want anymore, but people should be forced to drive them and money NOT spend on developing SUV/CUV's even though they are what people want.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,574 Times in 4,095 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by XP300 View Post
    HOG WASH!!!

People have moved to vehicles that fit their needs. The so called "FULL SIZE" coupes and sedans of my youth were close to the size of today's small cuv's. Think Hudson and Nash. We could fit two families in a Nash sedan to go to the forrest preserve for a picnic.

Today, my wifes Buick fits four people. Getting in and out is less than easy.

Whenever we go to dinner or a show with friends, we take my Acadia.

The sedans of your youth were 210-230" long and 80" wide. They dwarf, in footprint, anything on the road today except The New 60s Sedans, four-door PUTs. SedanPUTs are the exact replacement for '60s cars. BOF, V8 powah, yooj trunk, four doors, 4000-6000 lbs. THAT is how the makers and the gummit got around making big sedans go away. Just call them something different.

1965 IMPALA 396:
    Chevrolet Impala IV 6.5 V8 Engine Technical Data
    Engine type - Number of cylinders : V 8
    Engine Code : -
    Fuel type :
    Petrol
    Fuel System : 1 Rochester carb
    Lubrication : Wet sump
    Coolant : Water
    Engine Alignment : Longitudinal
    Engine size - Displacement - Engine capacity : 6490 cm3 or 396 cu-in
    Bore x Stroke : 104.00 x 95.50 mm
    4.09 x 3.74 inches
    Number of valves : 16 Valves
    Aspiration : N/A
    Compression Ratio : 10.25
    Maximum power - Output - Horsepower : 330 PS or 326 bhp or 243 kW @ 4800 rpm
    Maximum torque : 556.0 Nm or 410 lb.ft @ 4800 rpm
    Drive wheels - Traction - Drivetrain : RWD
    Transmission Gearbox - Number of speeds :
    3 speed Automatic
    Chevrolet Impala IV 6.5 V8 Fuel Consumption (Economy), Emissions and Range
    Fuel Consumption - Economy - Combined: - L/100km
    Fuel Consumption - Economy - Extra Urban: - L/100km
    Fuel Consumption - Economy - City: - L/100km
    Fuel Tank Capacity : 90.9 L
    19.8 UK gallons
    23.8 US gallons
    CO2 emissions : - g/Km

Chevrolet Impala IV 6.5 V8 Performance
    Top Speed : - km/h or - Mph
    Acceleration 0 to 60 mph (0 to 96 Km/h) : 9.10 s
    Acceleration 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62 mph) : - s
    Chevrolet Impala IV 6.5 V8 Size, Dimensions, Aerodynamics and Weight
    Body : Coupé
    Num. of Doors : 2
    Wheelbase : 302.3 cm or 119.02 inches
    Length : 541.5 cm or 213.19 inches
    Width : 202.9 cm or 79.88 inches
    Height : 140.7 cm or 55.39 inches
    Front Axle : 158.8 cm or 62.52 inches
    Rear Axle : 158.5 cm or 62.4 inches
    Aerodynamic drag coefficient - Cx : -
    Front Brakes - Disc dimensions : Discs (279 mm)
    Rear Brakes - Dics dimensions : Drums (279 mm)
    Front Tyres - Rims dimensions : -/- R-
    Rear Tyres - Rims dimensions : -/- R-
    Front Wheels Width : 6"
    Rear Wheels Width : 6"
    Curb Weight : 1969 kg OR 4341 lbs
    Weight-Power Output Ratio : 6.1 kg/hp
    Trunk / Boot capacity : - L
    Steering : Recirculating ball. PAS -
    Front Suspension : Coil springs.
    Rear Suspension : Coil springs. De Dion axle.
    read more at: https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-sp...-IV-65-V8.html

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-sp...-IV-65-V8.html

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Actually, NMA is composed of just such members. A lot of driving enthusiasts join the NMA, and the NMA is known for its advocacy for "driving freedom" and "driving fun".

From the NMA webpage:
    Indeed, thank you gkr. NMA is also a civil rights organization, advocating for driving freedom and less restrictive policies and laws. Good outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by supermoto View Post
    I have had both a truck and a motorcycle for more than 4 decades. No one has ever knocked me off any motorcycle because I pay attention to car drivers, the ones who get the closest to hitting me. I use my truck for a lot of truck things that cars just aren't capable of doing.

The stupid article was written by an idiot that thinks he should decide how others should live and can judge them for doing something he doesn't condone or want to do himself. Probably a liberal.
    Unfortunately not all drivers are as skilled and aware as you are.

Oh, and there is some luck involved in all this too.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 10-09-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,302 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    While I am saddened at the decline of the car, CUV''s are what people want.

I love my ATS, but it isn't a practical vehicle, especially when compared to my wife's Grand Cherokee. Even my 2008 Malibu or '02 Grand Prix didn't come close to the practicality of her then '01 (I think) Grand Cherokee and her current '11.

Plus, look at the size of people today. Years ago the average guy was my build - 5' 9" around 160lbs (or somewhere near that). I fit perfectly fine in my ATS. But a buddy of mine that I suspect is a lot closer to today's "norm" weighs in at 230 lbs, maybe 6' tall. He could barely fit in my ATS, I was laughing my ass off at him. So no wonder people gravitate to more spacious vehicles.

I find this article funny when compared to electric vehicles. We have so many people on GMI ranting about electrics NOT being what people want with the ultimate premise that money shouldn't be wasted in developing them. Yet cars are failing because they aren't what people want anymore, but people should be forced to drive them and money NOT spend on developing SUV/CUV's even though they are what people want.

Boy is this true about the ATS. At least not for more than two people, particularly with the coupe.

I had company in town last week. Had to pick up my three sisters from the airport. They had no luggage. This might have been the first time I used the back seat. Not the easiest place to get to, but we managed. Once they were back there, it was okay. But they're women are aren't that big.

During the week, I played golf with my brother-in-law and a friend. Getting one of them into the back seat wasn't the best experience for him. The ATS fits my clubs really well. They fit nicely across the back of the trunk. But for three sets, I had to drop the back seat on one side and slide two sets of clubs through that opening while the last set fit in the back of the trunk. My brother-in-law is a bit claustrophobic and was getting a bit antsy in the back seat.

Honestly, my '88 Trans Am might have been a better choice for back seat passengers (but they ain't touching my T/A). It's probably similar in size, and I think it would have felt a bit less confining with the light from the hatchback.

You're right about them mostly not building cars that suit people these days, but then again, bigger cars like the Impala, Avalon, and Lacrosse don't find many takers.
    Last edited by ksr; 10-09-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-09-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by National Motorists Association View Post

[I] What Happened to Actual Cars?: NMA E-Newsletter #560
    October 6, 2019
    By guest writer Jim Millick

...There are advantages to owning a car; they are generally cheaper to buy and operate because of better gas mileage. Also, cars are easier to park in tight spots and the home garage...

Found it hard to take seriously after these lines. They aren't cheaper to buy and operate because of better gas mileage, they can be cheaper to buy because they are less desirable to the general public, and cheaper operate because of gas mileage.

As for the parking/fit comment, patent horse siht. A well packaged SUV is shorter vs a sedan with comparable seating space, one reason we got an XC90 vs. an S8 for the wife, and while my 750Li has more backseat room because its the extended wheelbase, the stnd length 750i version is still a good deal longer and harder to fit in the garage than the XC90. Now I didn't go so far as to compare spec sheets but people room wise aside from the extra legroom in the Li they are about the same in the real world. And frankly the XC90 is more useful since you can fit a person in between two car seats in the Volvo, not really so in the BMW (yes in a pinch, but its TIGHT widthwise).

But who cares, buy what you want. The most efficient use of footprint is a van, if not for the expense and room I'd have one but I enjoy my cars too much and am alone most of the time.
    2019 Ford F-150 XLT Supercrew 3.3L 4WD
    2007 Volvo XC90 V8
    2005 Volvo V70R M66
    2006 BMW 750Li

24. The Following User Says Thank You to 377Z For This Useful Post:

XP300 (10-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,850 Times in 3,948 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Boy is this true about the ATS. At least not for more than two people, particularly with the coupe.

I had company in town last week. Had to pick up my three sisters from the airport. They had no luggage. This might have been the first time I used the back seat. Not the easiest place to get to, but we managed. Once they were back there, it was okay. But they're women are aren't that big.

During the week, I played golf with my brother-in-law and a friend. Getting one of them into the back seat wasn't the best experience for him. The ATS fits my clubs really well. They fit nicely across the back of the trunk. But for three sets, I had to drop the back seat on one side and slide two sets of clubs through that opening while the last set fit in the back of the trunk. My brother-in-law is a bit claustrophobic and was getting a bit antsy in the back seat.

Honestly, my '88 Trans Am might have been a better choice for back seat passengers (but they ain't touching my T/A). It's probably similar in size, and I think it would have felt a bit less confining with the light from the hatchback.

You're right about them mostly not building cars that suit people these days, but then again, bigger cars like the Impala, Avalon, and Lacrosse don't find many takers.
    Yes, the ATS is more or less a two seater! But, I don't complain because I knew the back seat was tight when I bought it. As they say, it is what it is. I love my ATS!

Good point with the big cars - people just want CUV's, they don't want a car with similar interior space. CUV's are in, plain and simple.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    I hate CUV's, and Crossovers, I miss the days of good ole Midsize, and Fullsize coupes and sedans.
    Don't forget hardtop coupe, hardtop sedan and convertible.

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast