GM Inside News Forum banner

Turbo + DCT Replaced With NA & 6A

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  YEH 
#1 · (Edited)
The more things change...

The Motor Trend 2017 Hyundai Tucson long term review made this observation:

There weren’t many complaints about the Tucson’s driving experience when traffic flows smoothly, but when you find yourself in stop-and-go traffic, things start to get awkward thanks to the tuning of the seven-speed twin-clutch automatic transmission. When combined with the sluggish throttle response, the gearbox was clunky in traffic because it tries to hold the highest gear it can get away with even in gridlock, causing it to feel like it’s going to stall. Heavy traffic is where you also notice the transmission getting confused and hunting through gears. All is not lost ,though, thanks to the 175-hp 1.6-liter turbo-four. It produces 195 lb-ft of torque at low revs, so the transmission rarely needs to downshift to get you some passing power. The engine itself is smooth and has plenty of pep for the average consumer.

Near the end of our loan period, Hyundai introduced the refreshed 2019 Tucson. In the update, the 1.6-liter turbocharged I-4 and seven-speed twin-clutch automatic have been replaced with a 181-hp 2.4-liter I-4 paired to a conventional six-speed automatic. The 2019 Tucson gets revisions inside and out; among the additions are full LED headlights, adaptive cruise control, and a 360-degree camera, features that were originally not available on this model. There are also two additional USB ports, so you don’t need to compromise passenger charging in favor of CarPlay usage.

During its time with us, the 2017 Hyundai Tucson proved to be reliable; we never had a major issue.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyu...-tucson-limited-awd-long-term-verdict-review/

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2...heres-no-replacement-displacement-apparently/

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, I am sooooo sorry if I offended you, sonjaab! I'll go back and brush up on your many contributions to GMI, you're a wealth of...something.

Meanwhile in the car world, replacing the Tomorrowland-turbo plus the wondrous DCT--only thing better is a CVT!!--IS a bit of news. Automotive news, you could say.

I'd like to see Hyundai's reasoning behind it, but I think I know. The 2.4 and 6A have been around since cave man days and are proven, reliable, smooth, trouble-free, and don't peeeosss off the customers.

Meanwhile, try blocking me. Your days will go better! :drive:

#5 ·
It's probably a marketing change, going back to the old 2.4 NA +6A, to suit public perception in North America as the 1.6 GDTi + DCT continues in Europe.

It's long been true that North Americans like bigger engines than Europeans - Hyundai/Kia usually reflect that in their regionaol variations. GM does the same where Insignia maxes at 2.0T and the Regal goes up to 3.6.

#6 ·
Could be the shift quality also, I don't know much about the Hyundai DCT, but I've read their shift smoothness is lacking. Though I like DCT in concept, I like my smooth shifting older tech transmission and would not like compromising my shift quality. Note that I've never driven a DCT equipped car, so just speaking from what I've read.

#7 ·
For a 2019 vehicle I figured that Hyundai would have massaged a little more power and tq out of the 2.4. 200/180 should not have been too hard.

Also figures maybe they would source a 8 or 9 speed transmission from an outside supplier if what they are truly worried about is perception.

#9 · (Edited)
I edited the OP, highlighting in red the DCT issues. Apparently this version of the 7DCT just isn't working right.

For a long time I wished H/K would drop the 2.4 into the Soul, that would make a nice mill with good torque and almost the HP of the 201 HP turbo 1.6. MPG likely as good as or better than the NA 2.0 and 1.6.

Oh well, I guess Pete Schreyer lost my letter!:(

*edit: The 2019 Forte is supposed to be CVT-equipped.

The only powertrain that Kia is releasing details on right now is a mildly updated 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle inline-four, which puts out the same 147 horsepower and 132 lb-ft as the previous Forte’s base engine. But the optional automatic transmission (a six-speed manual is standard) makes a big change from a six-speed automatic to a continuously variable automatic (CVT)—Kia’s first. This move clearly targets improved fuel economy, and indeed, Kia said the new Forte will deliver 35 mpg combined, a 3-mpg improvement over the current Forte’s EPA rating with its six-speed automatic. To those worried about this transmission type’s tendency to cause engines to drone, Kia said its CVT, like many others, uses a shift-logic program to simulate gearchanges.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/2019-kia-forte-sedan-revealed-and-it-looks-great-news

#12 ·
Thanks! That is such valuable information! I'll include you in my next book, which I'm co-writing with James Patterson and Billybob Clinton. Watch the stores!

#20 · (Edited)
I prefer a NA engine / "regular" transmission myself.
This is assuming that the "regular" shifts properly in "regular" mode.
Many of 'em constantly and annoyingly go for max economy... isn't that what "eco" is for? So I put it in "sport".

Autoweek has an excellent article describing the challenges automakers face deploying DCT in the U.S.:
DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSIONS STUCK IN NEUTRAL: WHY AMERICAN BUYERS ARE REJECTING A ONCE-PROMISING TECHNOLOGY
Ford killed the DCT.
I test drove one when it first came out. What a POS.
I can't believe people that bought it (and the early FCA 9-speed) actually drove it before buying.

#25 ·
Economy car dct s like the Ford Focus were failures.

Zf s transmission in Alfa’s Stelvio is a masterful torque converter automatic. I’m impressed...

The little turbo four is impressive as well.

The Hyundai’s change to a naturally aspirated four and a traditional automatic probably has more to do with execution of design ..

Done well a dct is a masterful design. Hyundai just blew it.

Porsches dct in their sports car line up is an example of excellence in execution.

Hyundai’s effort less so...

They tried and failed this time around..so they went back to the basics that just work well for basic economy vehicles.

I know Fords disappointed with its cheap dct efforts as well...and so are the consumers who bought them. I’d be surprised if ford tried again. The public relations was a nightmare,

Cheap can be problematic.

Spemd the money or buy a fully developed solution.

VW s is dam good in the little GTI.

#27 · (Edited)
Programming for Hyundai's DCT has been better in newer models, but yeah, the lower speed shifting has been an issue for the Tucson.

Would not be surprised if a new DCT finds its way back in the Tucson down the road (Hyundai is working on a new one, albeit one w/ more of a performance orientation in mind; so maybe for the rumored Tucson-N?).

The 2.4L 4 cyl should be replaced by the new 2.5L (w/ the FI variant likely being the new top engine) and wouldn't be surprised if the 6 spd AT eventually gets replaced by the 8 spd (assuming no packaging issues).

#28 ·
Programming for Hyundai's DCT has been better in newer models, but yeah, the lower speed shifting has been an issue for the Tucson.

Would not be surprised if a new DCT finds its way back in the Tucson down the road (Hyundai is working on a new one, albeit one w/ more of a performance orientation in mind; so maybe for the rumored Tucson-N?).

The 2.4L 4 cyl should be replaced by the new 2.5L (w/ the FI variant likely being the new top engine) and wouldn't be surprised if the 6 spd AT eventually gets replaced by the 8 spd (assuming no packaging issues).
What 2.5? I haven't heard rumor of that. The 2.4 Theta is a bit long-in-tooth. It still works, CR got 42 MPG highway with it and the 6A in the Optima.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.