Toyota rebukes Trump

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota rebukes Trump

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Toyota rebukes Trump

Toyota rebukes Trump for sending message that carmaker ‘not welcomed’ in US

Chester Dawson, Bloomberg Published 5:44 p.m. ET May 17, 2019 | Updated 6:08 p.m. ET May 17, 2019

Link to DetroitNews Article

Toyota Motor Corp. rebuked President Donald Trump’s declaration that imported cars threaten U.S. national security, signaling contentious talks are ahead for the White House and America’s key trading partners.

In an unusually strong-worded statement, Japan’s largest automaker said Trump’s proclamation Friday that the U.S. needs to defend itself against foreign cars and components “sends a message to Toyota that our investments are not welcomed.” The company said it has spent more than $60 billion building operations in the country, including 10 manufacturing plants.

Trump earlier Friday agreed with the conclusions of his Commerce Department, which investigated imports of vehicles and auto parts and found they harm national security by having led to a declining market share for “American-owned” carmakers since the 1980s. The White House set a 180-day deadline for negotiating deals with Japan, the European Union and other major auto exporters.

Toyota said it remains hopeful that those talks can be resolved quickly, but warned that curbing imports would force U.S. consumers to pay more and be counterproductive for jobs and the economy. The company’s critique comes two months after its pledge to add $3 billion to a years-long U.S. investment plan.

Representatives for other automakers were more diplomatic but also registered concern about the Trump administration's saber-rattling. The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, a trade group representing a dozen of the largest domestic and foreign carmakers with operations in the U.S., warned Friday that higher prices from tariffs could put 700,000 American jobs at risk.

“We are deeply concerned that the administration continues to consider imposing auto tariffs,'' the car lobby said in a statement. “By boosting car prices across the board and driving up car repair and maintenance costs, tariffs are essentially a massive tax on consumers.''

The pushback by Toyota marks a break from years of attempting to work its way into Trump’s good graces.

Days after drawing criticism from the then-president elect in January 2017 for planning to build Corolla cars in Mexico, Toyota announced a $10 billion, five-year investment plan. In August of that year, the company said it would join with Mazda Motor Corp. in building a $1.6 billion factory in Alabama.

But all those efforts have done little to curb repeated threats by the White House to impose tariffs of as much as 25% on imported vehicles and auto parts.

“Our operations and employees contribute significantly to the American way of life, the U.S. economy and are not a national security threat,” the company said.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-20-2019),StarCruiser (05-24-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Toyota rebukes Trump

Trump never lets his ignorance get in the way of opening his mouth (posting to Twitter). Toyota employs almost as many assembly workers in the U.S. as GM and exports from the U.S. to other countries. Toyota is adding jobs in the U.S. while GM and Ford are eliminating jobs here. Which do you think is better for the economy?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

megeebee (05-20-2019),StarCruiser (05-24-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,831 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    Trump never lets his ignorance get in the way of opening his mouth (posting to Twitter). Toyota employs almost as many assembly workers in the U.S. as GM and exports from the U.S. to other countries. Toyota is adding jobs in the U.S. while GM and Ford are eliminating jobs here. Which do you think is better for the economy?
    I wont hesitate to say I voted for the guy, but once in a while I do wish he would learn to think things over first or just learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

StarCruiser (05-24-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 3,866 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    I wont hesitate to say I voted for the guy, but once in a while I do wish he would learn to think things over first or just learn to keep his mouth shut sometimes.
    Fershur. Overall a big plus, but running your fool mouth constantly is just not smart. I tell all who will listen, he needs to shut it 95% on Twit and ditto when he gets a camera shoved in his face. Chuck Schumer Disorder is a turrible thing to have, unfortunately it seems to go with politician/rich and famous/Hollywood/etc. etc. turf. Rudy is another one who needs to shut his freakin yap.

As noted in the OP, Toyota has done yooj investing in our nation. Don't pick a fight with your friends.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

StarCruiser (05-24-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

He’s not wrong, Toyota is a foreign company. Ideally Americans would buy American cars and trucks.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RamJet502 For This Useful Post:

JBsZ06 (05-20-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

My sentiments exactly!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RamJet502 View Post
    He’s not wrong, Toyota is a foreign company. Ideally Americans would buy American cars and trucks.
    Are you saying Americans should buy only Ford or GM even if they are built in China, Mexico, or Korea? But not buy Toyotas or Hondas designed and built in the U.S.? Does anyone else see this as "all sorta wrong"?

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (05-20-2019),InCogKneeToe (05-21-2019),richmond2000 (05-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Are you saying Americans should buy only Ford or GM even if they are built in China, Mexico, or Korea? But not buy Toyotas or Hondas designed and built in the U.S.? Does anyone else see this as "all sorta wrong"?
    Ford and GM are American companies, Toyota and Honda are not.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,672 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I tell all who will listen, he needs to shut it 95% on Twit and ditto when he gets a camera shoved in his face.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick are words to live by when you're El Presidente.
    Elon Musk has exactly the same issues. Nothing good comes of it.
    Last edited by eaton53; 05-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-20-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

Its obvious to anyone who reads Trump's comment that by "foreign cars and components" he meant IMPORTED cars and components! His past statements makes clear he treats US made Toyotas and other foreign brands made in the US the same way as he treats US made domestic vehicles. This is like saying Trump hates domestic manufacturers because he picked on GM for building the Blazer in Mexico! Use your brains people! Personally, I find it really refreshing to (FINALLY) have a POTUS who cares about US made products and US workers! I have just donated another $100 to TrumpPence 2020!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-20-2019),BlackGTP (05-20-2019),Ed753 (05-20-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (05-20-2019),TruckMan (05-20-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

No, Americans should buy US brand vehicles made (assembled) in the USA!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (05-20-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,266 Times in 1,129 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post
    (without the UAW)

Trump never called out Toyota that I know of. People take him too literal.

What percent of cars are imported?

Or possibly more importantly, what percentage of car parts are imported? I'm guessing it's over 70%.

What percentage of parts come from China?

Reminds me of the oil industry. When OPEC controlled the market, we were at the mercy of those countries. Now that we're basically self-sufficient from a fossil fuel perspective, the market is more stable and we're protected from those hostile countries. In a similar way we're becoming very dependent on China - not the best position to be in.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-20-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I don't think he said autos are a threat to national security. He just wants Japan and the EU to drop their import car tariffs to level the playing field. Not that they'd buy our lower quality stuff anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,672 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I had no problem whatsoever with buying a Oshawa, Canada built Cadillac.
    Canada is not some low wage 3rd world country and I think they're an ally that's generally friendly.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 3,866 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Speak softly and carry a big stick are words to live by when you're El Presidente.
    Elon Musk has exactly the same issues. Nothing good comes of it.
    Funny, the guy is TR-like in many ways. And TR wasn't above a bit of bluster from time to time. Plus he administered real actual ass-whuppins on occasion. Ahh, them were the days!

There is a reason the Japanese, then the Germans, then the SoKos started selling boo coo in the USA. Three-letter word: Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y.

We Yanks got fast and loose with an exclusive market, quality and innovation took a back seat, and guess what? Honda cracked the code, followed by a stream of others. These are self-inflicted wounds.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-20-2019),joey (05-21-2019),Mr.Buttons (05-20-2019),richmond2000 (05-21-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast